Gros Morne NP, Newfoundland

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
atodor
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Gros Morne NP, Newfoundland

Post by atodor »

Looking for partners to hike / boat ride the Northern Traverse in Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland, Canada, summer 2024. This has spectacular fjord views at West Brook Pond, but is hard to access.
There are two options 1) short hike 2) long hike. I prefer option 1, but it has advantages and disadvantages.
Option 1 is a guided day tour with the company Bontours. It includes a boat ride through the fjord, 8 miles round trip with steep ascent to the top of the valley, and return boat trip. The cost is about 325 USD per person for the guided tour. There is a risk of having the tour cancelled if there are not at least 4 participants (several parties can be joined together).
Option 2 starts with the boat trip and ascent to the top of the valley, and then the return is a trek of 20 miles through tough terrain and no trails or hard to follow paths. The national park recommends 3 nights for the trek, so 4 days. One extra day is required for permit validation and pre-trip orientation meeting. A permit is required for this option. Permits are released each year in January and are exhausted quickly, since there are only 5 available for each day. The permit cost is $80.
The park is accessed through Deer Lake Airport. Flights from Atlanta, where I am from, are around 500 USD round trip low cost fare, and they will require probably one day each way to make all the connections.
I would like to do this on a weekend in July or August. It would be great if I could get a group of four people, but if not the best strategy is to check how many people are signed for the tour one or two months in advance and buy plane tickets based on that.
PJ88
14ers: 37 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gros Morne NP, Newfoundland

Post by PJ88 »

I was just there for work in late September and did the boat ride to the end of the fjord. It looks like a fantastic backpacking trip, but I couldn't help but wonder why it takes 4 days for 20 miles other than just enjoying yourself. Newfoundland is a fantastic place and Gros Morne is jaw dropping so taking your time is understandable. That being said, usually people around here in Colorado would turn that into a 2 day trip no problem. Any insight there?

This is definitely on my list now but I won't be able to join you. Have a great time!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

atodor wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:29 am Looking for partners to hike / boat ride the Northern Traverse in Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland, Canada, summer 2024.
I have heard not to do it in June and July because the black flies are horrible. September is supposed to be the best time.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
atodor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by atodor »

Thank you for the comments. Any other suggestion for Newfoundland, besides Gros Morne?
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

I went there in early July, and did the Gros Morne loop hike (~11 miles, 3000 feet elevation gain). The bugs were nearly unbearable, pretty much swarms of flies, especially on the descent from the Gros Morne summit. But the views are really amazing! I don't have any information to add about the backpacking trip, except that the views are featured in many of the tourism videos / brochures of Newfoundland. The boat does drop people off at the end of Western Brook pond, and then you're on your own.

I drove up the west coast of the island, went to the L'Anse aux Meadows historical site, and did some iceberg viewing, which is prime during the late spring and early summer months. Originally I planned to take the ferry across to Labrador, but had to scrap the plans due to time constraints.
IG: jc_solitude
atodor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by atodor »

@dr_j: How many days did the backpacking take? Are you sure it's 11 miles? The Northern Traverse is 18 miles according to official maps, Long Range is even longer.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Looks like I wrote the post badly. I did the Gros Morne loop hike from the Gros Morne trailhead just off the main highway, as a day trip. It's named the James Callaghan trail, which has a Class 2-ish section that ascends a steep gully up to the summit plateau, then loops back to the parking area.

I believe you're asking about the Western Pond off-trail route, which I have no information about, except that it looks like a doozy.
IG: jc_solitude
atodor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by atodor »

Last chance for backpacking permits for next summer.