Winter frozen phone battery hack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
colospgs
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Winter frozen phone battery hack

Post by colospgs »

On my first forays into the mountains in the winter a few years ago, I discovered my phone battery showing 1% after a short time. Was it really at 1%, or was that just the battery indicator on the fritz? Don't know. But it did take a while to recharge once back in the car, and I didn't like that. So here is a crude little solution to that problem. See photo. I cut up an old towel, fashioned a case with it and duct tape, and put my phone and two hand warmers into it. Problem solved. This keeps the phone battery nice and warm, even in a convenient front pocket. And therefore always ready for photos, videos, GPS, etc.

I don't know if everyone does this or not, but I did not see anything on these forums, so I thought I would post.
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG (150.36 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
madmattd
14ers: 38  14 
13ers: 86 4
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Winter frozen phone battery hack

Post by madmattd »

Keeping the phone reasonably warm definitely helps. Something to know though, is if the phone gets cold and shows a unlikely low level of battery, when you get back to the car, once it's warmed back up, turn off the phone and turn it back on - the battery level should return to the correct value. Just charging it when it's cold really seems to confuse the charging circuits that are trying to prevent over-charging the lithium battery (so it doesn't light on fire!)
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Variations of the same theme - these coozies are all just made out of relatively cheap Double Reflective Insulation (fancy bubble wrap):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-24 ... /314983628
IMG_1615.jpg
IMG_1615.jpg (154.43 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
Relatively simple to prototype - just need a pair of scissors and some duck tape. I just eyed everything. If it works well this week I may make them look a little fancier, give them a lid or something (esp the gas canister - that comes out of the coozy when in use) - I dunno.

I made one for my phone, inreach, gas canister, and something to stick anything else I want to stay warm when I'm sleeping tucked in my bag. Inside the largesst one is a Sea to Summit iPad sleeve, which has some foam that's used for padding but also works for insulation in of itself. Each can hold what they're made for, plus a hand warmer.

On the go, the inreach goes in a backpack pocket, the phone goes in my chest pocket, the gas canister can go in a fanny pack worn kinda high, close to my body, above my hip belt/below my sternum strap. All the rest can just live inside my pack, probably within a nest of down.

That should work relatively well. I think it's best to keep both phone and charger above freezing. Charging a frozen phone is no bueno for the phone battery.
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

A buddy made a little neoprene GoPro jacket that could fit one of those stick on toe warmers on the back. Worked pretty well for keeping the camera alive on cold days.

For phones, headlamp, and GPS I just keep them in an internal pocket under as many layers as possible. Not super easy to access, but works ok.

Headlamp has died on me a few times.
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:48 am A buddy made a little neoprene GoPro jacket that could fit one of those stick on toe warmers on the back. Worked pretty well for keeping the camera alive on cold days.

For phones, headlamp, and GPS I just keep them in an internal pocket under as many layers as possible. Not super easy to access, but works ok.

Headlamp has died on me a few times.
I've been using lithium AAAs for my headlamp (disposable Energizers, NOT rechargeable lithium-ion batteries). A little expensive, but they're lighter than alkalines and last a lot longer in the cold.
mark
the_hare
14ers: 25  21 
13ers: 21 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by the_hare »

justiner wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:00 pm Variations of the same theme - these coozies are all just made out of relatively cheap Double Reflective Insulation (fancy bubble wrap):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-24 ... /314983628
+1 for this DIY reflective dashboard sun-protection type material. Some winter insulation covers made by gear outfitters seem thinner and less effective than this material, not to mention significantly more expensive. I've used this for water bottles and my water bladder tube too
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 161 29
Trip Reports (73)

Post by daway8 »

I just keep my phone in my chest pocket on the outside layer where it's accessible and have found that body heat keeps it plenty warm for me - no extra wrapping needed and only ever have charge issues if I'm on one of those high usage 18hr+ days, even if it's crazy cold (perhaps the 250 weight merino wool base layers I wear keep the body heat trapped better...). On those occasions I just put the charger pack in the same pocket as the phone and get back up to full power before long)

The "hack" I found for mine is that condensation would build on the screen but flipping it so the screen faced outward fixed that problem.

Interesting to see how many different ways people skin the cat...
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I've got one headlamp that runs on 4 AA batteries with a remote pack, so you can keep the batteries in your jacket and be toasty.
It's not often you need that, but it's kinda nice to have from time to time.