Dogs acclimating

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Randy and Shay
Trip Reports (0)

Dogs acclimating

Post by Randy and Shay »

I'm coming out in Sept to do some hiking. My plans are to reach 13k and maybe an easy 14er like Sherman. My dog an Australian Shepard will be with me, he has never left NH. Does anyone have any experience with dogs and altitude? I plan on treating him like I would a human partner, but I was curious about any experience others have had with their dogs. He is fit as we hike every week in the White Mountains of NH, home of Mt. Washington. Thank you for any tips or advice.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Dogs acclimating

Post by nyker »

Find the owner of Horton the Quandary Dog. That pup would climb Quandary a few times a day.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I wouldn’t worry about the dog. Unless he’s very old chances are he’ll kick your butts.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
E_A_Marcus_949
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Dogs definitely can get altitude sick, and they will follow their human without fail, even to their own detriment. Make sure to research the signs of canine altitude sickness (one decent site listed below), give them more food/treats/water than normal to keep calories up, watch their paws (but if yours has been hiking a lot, this may be a non-issue, though there are a lot of rocks on trails here), and please - please - keep your dog on a leash - yours may be friendly but you never know about others' dogs, people and how they react to dogs, and all the wildlife.

https://thedyrt.com/magazine/lifestyle/ ... 0on%20hand.
Gibson135
14ers: 38  4 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Gibson135 »

My dog definitely had to acclimate. She was about a year old when we moved here and for the first week or so she would just demand to pull over and lay down in a weird way when going for a short walks in Denver. She definitely was not the wild crazy puppy she was at sea level for little bit and then it went away.
Randy and Shay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randy and Shay »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:05 am Dogs definitely can get altitude sick, and they will follow their human without fail, even to their own detriment. Make sure to research the signs of canine altitude sickness (one decent site listed below), give them more food/treats/water than normal to keep calories up, watch their paws (but if yours has been hiking a lot, this may be a non-issue, though there are a lot of rocks on trails here), and please - please - keep your dog on a leash - yours may be friendly but you never know about others' dogs, people and how they react to dogs, and all the wildlife.

https://thedyrt.com/magazine/lifestyle/ ... 0on%20hand.
My dog is always tied to my pack with a 11ft Bungee style leash, he never runs free unless he is home.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Only thing I can recommend is making sure the dog is in good health. My border collie (13 years old) had developed a heart murmur about six months before she had passed. Not 14er related, but she had a stroke. I had seen on one of the fb feeds this weekend where a dog had a stroke and passed on a 14er. Just guessing, but I think there could be a connection between murmurs, and strokes.