British Columbia/Alberta Recommendations

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorgito
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 104 12
Trip Reports (0)

British Columbia/Alberta Recommendations

Post by Jorgito »

I posted a few months ago looking for recommendations in California, but with the crazy snowpack there this year, I decided to pivot to BC and Alberta instead. I bought Alan Kane's guide: Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies as a starting point. It's an awesome book with a huge amount of options, but he doesn't give his opinion on the routes, so it's hard to know which ones to spend my time on while I'm up there.

I'd love some recommendations either for scrambles in the mountains (class 3-4) or particularly great hikes and easier routes. I'm planning on staying in the southern half of BC, but I'd like to bop around between the Rockies, the Columbia Mountains and the Coastal ranges. Having some options all over would be great to be able to dodge storms and/or wildfires.
Jorgito
Trip Reports (0)

Re: British Columbia/Alberta Recommendations

Post by Jorgito »

bump for visibility
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Sean O’Rourke (seano on here) has been ripping through the 11ers and a lot of other peaks in the area. His blog site drdirtbag.com has great writeups - the guy has a seriously impressive list of huge single day technical linkups all over the lower 48 - and he posts tracks on his strava (Sean O, Nowhere, USA) you can probably find some ideas there! Sean if you’re reading this you’re a legend and a major inspiration :-D
Jorgito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jorgito »

He's been doing some really hard solo ascents! Thanks for the link to his blog.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

-wren- wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:51 pm Sean O’Rourke (seano on here) has been ripping through the 11ers and a lot of other peaks in the area. His blog site drdirtbag.com has great writeups - the guy has a seriously impressive list of huge single day technical linkups all over the lower 48 - and he posts tracks on his strava (Sean O, Nowhere, USA) you can probably find some ideas there! Sean if you’re reading this you’re a legend and a major inspiration :-D
Thanks, man! I should probably be catching up on blogging instead of checking in here... Lots of beautiful scrambling in Canadia if you don't mind a bit of choss...
Mount Sir Douglas
Mount Sir Douglas
Sir Douglas - 22 of 26.jpeg (394.51 KiB) Viewed 8170 times
As for the original question... Kane is a good starting point, though it includes quite a few hikes, and requires a Rockies tolerance for choss. Asulkan Ridge above Rogers Pass is awesome, though a bit of 5.0 if you do the whole traverse. In the Rockies, Smuts is a good one; Temple is one of the best class 2-3 hikes anywhere; Wilcox along the Icefields Parkway is high value-for-effort, as is Sunwapta. I don't know the Coast Range well enough to make any recs.
atodor
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by atodor »

I am not so much into climbing and I am not sure how much you have seen of the area, but my absolute world favorite hike is the Alpine Circuit from Lake O'Hara, Yoho NP, BC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN7KH6xwQEo
Close to it is Mt. Temple, including Moraine lake, Valley of the Ten Peaks and Sentinel Pass in Banff NP.
I have a post with an invitation to that area in the USA forum. viewtopic.php?t=62989
Highlights would be long hikes to Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park and Tonquin Valley in Jasper NP. Also on the list are Tent Ridge Horseshoe, Spray Valley Provincial Park and Indian Ridge (Jasper NP). I have already done Hermit Trail & Abbot Ridge (Glacier NP Canada) and Sulphur Skyline (from Miette Springs). I have Berg Lake (Mt Robson Provincial Park) on my list, but the trail is closed this year.