Foot fatalities

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Foot fatalities

Post by Wildernessjane »

I don’t have the problem of mismatched feet BUT they don’t even make double mountaineering boots for women so I have had to contend with poorly fitting boots. I had to double up on insoles to make them work for me. If I were you, I would see a professional boot fitter. Bent Gate also does boot fitting for mountaineering boots.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have the La Sportiva Nepal Cube GORE-TEX Boots, and they rip my feet apart. They are only good for climbing steep snow or ice. When we did the Bell cord we hiked in our light hiking shoes, swapped over to the La Sportiva Nepal Cube GORE-TEX Boots. Then as soon as we got back to the bottom of the coulior we put the light hikers back on. Mountaineering boots have a very limited purpose, and they suck at anything outside that purpose. I have to use mole skin on the front of my shins and my heals to not get terrible blisters.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:40 pm I have the La Sportiva Nepal Cube GORE-TEX Boots, and they rip my feet apart. They are only good for climbing steep snow or ice. When we did the Bell cord we hiked in our light hiking shoes, swapped over to the La Sportiva Nepal Cube GORE-TEX Boots. Then as soon as we got back to the bottom of the coulior we put the light hikers back on. Mountaineering boots have a very limited purpose, and they suck at anything outside that purpose. I have to use mole skin on the front of my shins and my heals to not get terrible blisters.
I do this for late spring early summer but I also used to have my feet torn apart by my old Asolo boots but the Scarpa Mont Blanc Pros that I have now have been great even on dry trail. I think it really depends on the boot and how much you break them in.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Some what off topic - but still of interest

Rumor has it that Larry has retired from "Larry's Bootfitter" in Boulder.

If so, has anyone visited the new owners? If so - how was your experience?
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Scott P wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:05 am I have the same problem. I also have flat feet. As far as blisters go, the only solution I have found is duct tape and it needs to be replaces frequently.
try KT tape. Use it as you would the duct tape or moleskin. Stuff stays on way better than you think and gives you just a bit of protection.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

herdbull wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:50 pm
Scott P wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:05 am I have the same problem. I also have flat feet. As far as blisters go, the only solution I have found is duct tape and it needs to be replaces frequently.
try KT tape. Use it as you would the duct tape or moleskin. Stuff stays on way better than you think and gives you just a bit of protection.
Leukotape as well is also a favorite among the thru hiker crowd for blister prevention. It will stick for days even in wet conditions. It sticks so well taking it off is a PITA
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

dwoodward13 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:26 am
Leukotape as well is also a favorite among the thru hiker crowd for blister prevention. It will stick for days even in wet conditions. It sticks so well taking it off is a PITA
+1. Leukotape is the luxury tape item that will solve all of your blister problems. That stuff is amazing and so durable!
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Thanks everyone - once again a wide array of solutions with some good ideas for every budget level - I'll do some pondering and a little more research to pick the best option for my next adventure (as I wait for my brutalized big toe to heal a bit more before trying anymore).
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

How about sandals for the easier stuff? They generally work for most Class 1/2 approaches, before more technical stuff is required.
IG: jc_solitude
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've also grown to accept mountaineering boots are somewhat of a necessary evil on some routes.a few things have worked for me; try several boots and play around with insole and sock combinations. You may have to try out a dozen to see what works.

Also particularly on your left foot since larger, try to get a boot fitter to potentially expand either the toe box or the heel area to accommodate your foot better. I had the same problem you're having with Sportiva Nepal's literally being unable to finish a climb after I got them. A guy in Kristi Sports in Alamosa was able to expand the heel area with a ski fitting tool and after a few hours I was able to fit in it ok enough to climb again. Sportiva tends to have a narrower fit than some other models. Trim your toenails too as short as comfortable.