Kings Peak (UT) & Borak Peak (ID)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Kings Peak (UT) & Borak Peak (ID)

Post by Fisching »

Probably a long shot, but has anyone gone up either Kings Peak or Borah Peak recently? Or is someone going in the very near future?
Alternatively, does anyone know where I can get some recent peak condition updates for those peaks?

I'm looking to nab both in about 1.5 to 2 weeks.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Kings Peak (UT) & Borak Peak (ID)

Post by jfm3 »

Based on the Utah SWE map, I'd guess there is still a LOT of snow on Kings Peak. The comparison here is slightly skewed because as the snow melts, the smaller depth makes the percentages larger, but Utah had an absolutely historic winter and the snow is going to linger well into the summer.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/da ... update.pdf
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Expect lots of snow on Kings Peak in a few weeks. I've been up on the nearby peaks in December a d January so you can go up there year round.

The Uintas usually melt out later than most of teh Colorado ranges.

Once the snow melts significantly, the mosquitoes come out so be ready for that too.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cloudkicker
13ers: 157 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cloudkicker »

Alltrails had a Borah Peak report from 2 days ago.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I went Kings mid May of 21 and too much snow to get past gunsite. End of July redid it with no snow. That was also a low snow year. This has been a very big snow year. If you can wait for Kings I would. Otherwise bring snowshoes and spikes and an axe and bring enough provisions for an extra day.

Borah is a late Aug hike IMO, but have fun if you're okay with exposure and scrambling in snow and ice.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

A friend of mine just skied Kings peak this past weekend.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtRmhXgRMUI ... BiNWFlZA==
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Kings sucks early season, because the long sub-treeline approach is a slush-bog. Come back in the Fall.
Fisching
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

That AllTrails post for Borah and Instagram on Kings are great. Thank you. Oddly, I looked at AllTrails but didn't see anything - i specifically looked at the mountain page; the recent report was on the separate "Mount Borah Trail" page.

I'm in the UT/ID region for a work trip which is why I'm looking into this exact timeframe for both those peaks. From the posts, Kings seems doable, but just a pain due to needing to bring flotation. Borah's reports read as risky due to the snow conditions along the ridges and saddles in the two most recent posts.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

We did Borah last year on July 2nd and they had less snow last year. Bring crampons and ice axe. I think only 6 people made it to the summit that day out of 25 people. Most people turned around when they saw you had to cross the steep snow. I don’t think any of the people that turned around had any clue that it was going to that steep and that much snow. My Strava link has pictures.

https://strava.app.link/7vae9cp1xAb
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Fisching
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Kings Peak was a success.
Great couloir route is in right now that takes a direct line towards the summit (compared to Gunsight). Snowshoes weren't needed for the couloir approach but are necessary for going via Gunsight.
As noted in the register, it's also wet.
Attachments
IMG20230618163755.jpg
IMG20230618163755.jpg (301.01 KiB) Viewed 665 times
IMG20230618124804.jpg
IMG20230618124804.jpg (227.68 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good job. Are the mosquitoes out yet?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.