Elbert, Massive, and Yale

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hws2019
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Elbert, Massive, and Yale

Post by hws2019 »

After receiving some feedback on a previous post, I've made some alterations to my late June trip plans and wanted to hear people's opinions on a couple of things...

I plan to climb Mt. Elbert, Mt. Massive, and Mt. Yale with a rest day in between each hike. My plan is to arrive sometime on the 22nd and hopefully camp at one of the Halfmoon Campgrounds or the Elbert Creek Campground. I would then attempt Elbert the next day via the Northeast Ridge. My plan would be to again stay the night at one of the aforementioned campgrounds and take a rest day the next day to do some relaxing or something else in the area. I would then stay one more night at the campground and attempt Massive the following day. After Massive I would travel and find a location to camp near Yale (I am open to campsite suggestions). My final climb would then be Yale after a rest day.

My questions are:
1) Since the Halfmoon and Elbert Creek Campgrounds are first come first serve, how early should I attempt to arrive in order to get a spot since I will be arriving on a June weekday?

2) I have been keeping up with the recent condition reports but wanted to ask for feedback here as well: How is the snow situation looking for the above referenced 3 mountains? I currently plan to bring at the very least microspikes, a solid pair of hiking boots, and trek poles. Will I potentially need gaiters or anything else to safely and comfortably complete these hikes that late in June? Which of these peaks will likely be the most clear and which will likely be the least clear? (Yes, I know there is a lot of educated guess work involved in answering these questions)

3) Yale campsite ideas... Any suggestions? I have looked at the Collegiate Peaks campground so far.

4) Any recommendations for budget friendly things to see/do on my rest days?
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Elbert, Massive, and Yale

Post by Monte Meals »

The Leadville Hostel

https://www.stayinntheclouds.com/

has dorm rooms - currently starting at $33 (probably higher mid summer)
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

I can only speak on Elbert's snow. Folks in Leadville are climbing it from the NE side without the use of spikes or snowshoes. They told me it's dry. You have to know the route.

Budget activities? Salida Hot Springs is cheap. Museums in Leadville are affordable. Tunnels Road in BV (CR371) is free. Driving Indy Pass is cheap other than gas. I walked around Aspen and toured the art galleries for free...the artwork is spectacular, and you don't have to buy any of it. Park at Smuggler Mountain and walk downtown to avoid parking fees. Sit at the lakes and read. Go to Leadville dive bars. The gondola in Breck is free. Etc.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
cardgenius
14ers: 40  8  4 
13ers: 77 8 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cardgenius »

1. I haven’t stayed at any of the pay sites in a few years so not exactly sure on early season but most of the pay campgrounds between Leadville and Buena Vista are very popular so get there as soon as possible.

2. Plan to bring gators and microspikes and keep an eye on the condition reports page as your trip gets closer, good chance those peaks will have multiple reports by then.

3. Again, super busy area especially that campsite. There is some good dispersed camping on CR390 towards Huron Peak if you can’t find a spot at any of the pay sites.

4. If your into touristy stuff, the towns of Leadville and Buena Vista have good shops and food. Easy enough to just park and walk around for a bit. High Mountain Pies in Leadville has awesome pizza. Eddyline Brewery in Buena Vista also has good pizza and great beers. If you like historical stuff, the Mining Hall of Fame in Leadville is cool. Ghost towns like Saint Elmo out past Mt. Princeton or Winfield and Vicksburg out by Huron Peak. If you like sight seeing, there’s some great views if you drive to the top of Cottonwood Pass. The drive from Leadville to Buena Vista is good and the Collegiate Peaks Scenic Overlook off 285 just outside of Buena Vista has great views too.

Hope that helps, have a great trip!
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GuiGirard »

1. Like others said, the area is popular, so getting there first thing once you're in the area won't hurt.

2. Ask mother nature for her plans! Rather, read peak conditions here as people update them!

3. Yes, that's a good campground, and you can pretty much leave to hike Yale from your campsite, it's a short hike on the road. That'll warm you up before that brutal Denny Gulch ascent. If that's full, there are dispersed campsites a couple of miles down that same road (CR 306 from BV to Cottonwood Pass). Some of them right across from the Avalanche TH.

4. If you like hot springs after a long hiking day or between two hiking days... Cottonwood Hot Springs is an all-time favorite of mine, and it's right along the way to Yale. They have motel rooms and campsites as well. It never hurts to ask if there's vacancy as you drive by: the campsite/room fee will get you access to the pools that evening until next morning's check-out (I don't recall what time, but it is not early). On a week night, you just never know.... I've had my luck showing up last minute, some other time no luck too. Of course they are also open for day soaks and they close late (= perfect plan after hiking a 14er!).

4. If you can get access to a bicycle (rentals are I think available in Leadville) and are into geology and mining history, the Miners Heritage Trail around Leadville is awesome. Very interesting history scattered along a 10-ish mile loop.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

When I took my son and his cross country team to hike Yale and when my son and I went to hike Massive, both times we stayed at the tent sites at Chalk Creek Campground in Nathrop. It is an hour exactly from there to Halfmoon Creek TH and only about a 20 minute paved drive to Denny Creek for Yale. It was nice having showers and well maintained restroom facilities after the hikes, plus the campground does a pretty good job of monitoring the grounds, giving me a little reassurance that our tent and other stuff wasn't going to be messed with while we were gone. Another reason I like the campgorund is the fact that you can soak in Chalk Creek's cold waters and rehab the joints...very therapeutic for me.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.