Missouri Gulch Trailhead Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wmanke13
14ers: 16  3 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Missouri Gulch Trailhead Camping

Post by wmanke13 »

A quick search through existing Forum topics has yielded me with some good information, but hasn't definitively answered one main question I have. Apologies if I missed my answer somewhere.

There seems to be a gray line drawn between what is and is not considered camping, and I am wondering what my options are for a Belford/Oxford attempt this Saturday.

Option 1: Dispersed camping along the 390 road. I know definitively that there is no camping allowed at the Missouri Gulch TH, but that there are plenty of dispersed campsites along the road up to the TH that I can use.

Option 2: Car camping at the TH. Here's where the gray line comes in to play - is sleeping your car considered camping? I have seen a couple threads on this topic but everyone seems to have their own opinion. I'm really only concerned with one opinion: law enforcement.

Any information appreciated. Thanks in advance!
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun. - Mark Twight
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Missouri Gulch Trailhead Camping

Post by justiner »

wmanke13 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:50 am I'm really only concerned with one opinion: law enforcement.
You're more likely to get eaten by a great white shark while on your hike than getting caught by a ranger. They're underfunded, understaffed, and have more important things to handle.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 322 26 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Both options are available to you. I have never been bothered by law enforcement when sleeping in my car at a trailhead. Sleeping in your car is oftened "not allowed" in many places, but is very easy to get away with unless the area is regularly patrolled (think city streets, ski areas, the like). The biggest reason you wouldn't want to sleep in you car at Missouri Gulch is that there will be people driving up at 3am and slamming their doors while you're trying to sleep. I wouldn't hesistate to sleep at Missouri Gulch on a weeknight though.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

As you've probably seen in those threads, yes law enforcement considers it camping. But also what Justiner said.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

Sleeping in your car is considered camping, but go for it. I've done it 3 or 4 times and never had an issue. In fact each time there has also been at least 4-6 other cars with people sleeping in them too
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Marmot96 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:16 am Sleeping in your car is considered camping, but go for it. I've done it 3 or 4 times and never had an issue. In fact each time there has also been at least 4-6 other cars with people sleeping in them too
yeah, this. i have never been bothered by conversations or car door slamming at THs, but still make an effort to be courteous to others in the wee hours. have a great hike OP
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

I do quite a bit of car camping (i.e. anything that is further than about 1.5 hours from my house) and have never been bothered by any rangers. Heck, I even waved hello to one who was just about to head out as we were pulling into a popular lot at 9PM last summer. Always a chance you will get unlucky and run into someone who is having a bad day, but I figure if you are quiet, keep to yourself, and don't act like a turd, you will probably be fine.
wmanke13
14ers: 16  3 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wmanke13 »

espressoself wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:57 pm I do quite a bit of car camping (i.e. anything that is further than about 1.5 hours from my house) and have never been bothered by any rangers. Heck, I even waved hello to one who was just about to head out as we were pulling into a popular lot at 9PM last summer. Always a chance you will get unlucky and run into someone who is having a bad day, but I figure if you are quiet, keep to yourself, and don't act like a turd, you will probably be fine.
Ugh, fine! I'll leave the turd behavior at home...

Thanks all for the info!
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun. - Mark Twight
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

two lunches wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:56 pm
Marmot96 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:16 am Sleeping in your car is considered camping, but go for it. I've done it 3 or 4 times and never had an issue. In fact each time there has also been at least 4-6 other cars with people sleeping in them too
yeah, this. i have never been bothered by conversations or car door slamming at THs, but still make an effort to be courteous to others in the wee hours. have a great hike OP
Wish I was as lucky as you, I have had way to many times with people waking me up before I wanted to on a hiking morning. They are all way to loud and chatting like a bunch of old ladies at a church function.

I have also car camped at least 4 times in the Missouri gulch trailhead without any problems. Just need to be quiet and not make it look like you are in your car.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 322 26 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

climbingcue wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:52 pm ...I have had way to[o] many times with people waking me up before I wanted to on a hiking morning. They are all way to[o] loud and chatting like a bunch of old ladies at a church function.
Me too, I'm a light sleeper so this is super super annoying to me. You get used to parking either in the far back of the trailhead, or down the road in a quiet pulloff, or a less used trailhead that is a very short drive away. In the case of Missouri Gulch, that would be the Sheep Gulch trailhead just up the road. No pit toilet though, which is a lovely comfort item to have when spending the night.