We start our first Colorado vacation in 2 days - HELP!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Re: We start our first Colorado vacation in 2 days - HELP!

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Have you considered Quandary Peak? It still has snow but is more heavily traveled over the winter months than other 14ers. Not far from Silverthorne either. GoPro mountain games will be going on in Vail next week if you are still around https://summer.mountaingames.com/
Century Bound, eventually.
jschooch
14ers: 47 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jschooch »

Couple thoughts...If you are driving from texas you could try west spanish peak near trinidad on the way in or out. It's probably pretty dry and a nice shorter but challenging peak. I'd also recommend the ouray via ferrata if you are looking to try one. Unless things have changed, it is free and you can rent all the gear in ouray for a reasonable fee. The telluride one is an option as well but it's a bit more of a commitment and more challenging in my opinion.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

clay7428 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:32 am How about an outfitter that'll rent out spikes and poles, etc? Are there any peaks that are less than 14k feet up that'll be do-able? Something that the rest of the "tourist" don't know about that'll still get the blood pumping?
So REI rents snowshoes and poles - not sure about spikes (though you could buy some there).

I second the recommendation for Sniktau as a warm-up/test hike. If you're doing good on that then turn and go the other way to Cupid and then Grizzly (all 13ers). Then if you're really hungry for action and haven't gotten blown off the ridge yet (that area is known for strong winds) and haven't gotten lost in white-out conditions during a snowstorm (very possible in the coming days) then you could even head all the way to Grays/Torreys from there along the ridge. But that would be a heck of a day if you're new to the mountains.

The rest of the "tourists" won't generally be hiking up mountains this time of year (though a growing number of locals hit the trail to join the handful that climb 13ers/14ers year round).

Pennsylvania Mountain (another 13er) is also very doable this time of year. If you get a day when it's not actively snowing then Quandary is one of the "easiest" 14ers but if there's snow in the forecast for that day you could get in big trouble if you don't know the area or have a GPS to help you stay on track when the visibility drops to nothing and the wind blows fresh snow that fills in and covers up your tracks from the way up.

This particular time window is about the worst you could have chosen for an intro to outdoors in Colorado but with some flexibility and a careful eye on the weather you might still get some good adventures in. Just be careful not to underestimate the weather - we can still get conditions that are basically full on winter type storms sometimes.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I hope you're not planning to do a day trip to the Black Canyon or Bridal Veil falls from Silverthorne. :wft:
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Arapahoe Basin officially closes tomorrow, but they leave open the possibility of extending the season. Close to Silverthorne and at least worth a call to find out.

https://www.arapahoebasin.com/
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
sooshee
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sooshee »

I was at Black Canyon a week ago (making an assumption Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park here... I apologize if there's another Black Canyon), and conditions were great. No snow to worry about. But like someone else already said, that isn't a day trip from Silverthorne...

The Ouray via ferrata is in the vague area of Black Canyon, and it is open as well.
Pcypher
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pcypher »

I was at Bierstadt on Memorial Day. It would be doable with spikes and a decent weather window (5-7 hours). Otherwise, check out Bison Peak near Jefferson. It’s 12K, 12 miles round trip and awesome! Really cool rock outcroppings. There is plenty to do in CO where you will be…just not at 14K. Don’t be discouraged…adaptability is key in CO.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade ! A bit early for 14er hiking for beginners, especially this year, but probably great for river rafting. The streams are as high as I have seen them around Colorado Springs in the 2.5 years I have lived here, so I am guessing the rest of the state is following suite. I have done trips on the Arkansas river in the past out of Salida and Canon City (Royal Gorge). The forecast is for rain every day this week, but it won't be raining all day. They say that the second half of the week will be more of a typical summer monsoon patterns where the mornings are clear. That may be your window for high country hikes above tree line using the start early and on your way down by noon mantra. How much new high country snow comes from this system I don't know who knows. I wouldn't recommend these hikes without spikes anyway, I always carry mine with me until I know my route will be snow free. I second the West Spanish peak suggestion although it's a long way from where you are staying. Bison peak is also wonderful and not likely to be too bad for snow. I hiked local peaks Mt Rosa (11.5K') and Cameron Cone (10.7K') the last two weekends of May and snow line was above 10.5K' then. There are numerous snow free hikes around Colorado Springs (sorry if that doesn't help you if you are committed to Silverthorne). Hiking on cloudy days can give you some of the most fantastic photo ops ! I would also look into waterfall hikes. There is a good one at Mohawk Lakes south of Breckenridge if that is accessible now. Have fun !
Last edited by jrbren_vt on Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

jschooch wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:21 am Couple thoughts...If you are driving from texas you could try west spanish peak near trinidad on the way in or out. It's probably pretty dry and a nice shorter but challenging peak. I'd also recommend the ouray via ferrata if you are looking to try one. Unless things have changed, it is free and you can rent all the gear in ouray for a reasonable fee. The telluride one is an option as well but it's a bit more of a commitment and more challenging in my opinion.
Forget about the Telluride via ferrata with the current snowpack. While the route itself may be dry, there is a lot of snow above and is not recommended due to the high probability of falling rock, ice and snow. Wait until things dry out.
John619
14ers: 16  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John619 »

Maybe do a rafting trip instead, https://raftbrownscanyon.com/
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

My friends in Leadville have hiked Elbert a lot so far this spring from the NE side. They get to the trailhead by 3AM and are off by 730AM typically. You have to know the trail really well.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

Since coming up from the South.Why not stay South?
How about Shavano?
Trailhead isn't that difficult to get to. Not a long drive from the area it sounds like you are staying in.
Fun, beautiful hike. I've done it several times early season.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb