We start our first Colorado vacation in 2 days - HELP!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
clay7428
Trip Reports (0)

We start our first Colorado vacation in 2 days - HELP!

Post by clay7428 »

Howdy from Texas!

Q: How do you know when someone's from Texas?
A: Don't worry - they'll tell ya!

My family and I will be heading up from Texas this Sunday for a week in the Colorado mountains. This trip has been planned for months and unfortunately, there's no way to postpone or re-book the trip for later. Our plans were / are to peak both Gray's and Torrey's - our first 14er's. However, according to the WeatherBug app, it looks like we're in for an entire week of crap weather.

We have already spent THOUSANDS on this trip and we haven't even left yet.

After reading through several of the threads on this wonderful site, downloading the app, and almost certainly over packing, I'm starting to feel like Gray's and Torrey's might not be realistic during our stay due to the weather. It sounds like there's a LOT more snow still on the roads and mountains than we had anticipated (you have to understand the DRAMATIC difference between June in Texas, and June in Colorado). We are an in-shape, athletic, adventure loving family - BUT - we don't have spikes. We don't have snow shoes. We don't have poles. We have good hiking boots, water for days, plenty of layers to stay "comfortably cold," and plenty of wet weather gear. But realistically - are these peaks even do-able with the weather that's anticipated this coming week? Are there other 14er's that we might consider?

I'll admit - reading through some of these weather related post is rather intimidating. My truck will get us to the trailhead (upper or lower) without a problem. However, getting to the trailhead by 0400 and trying to be back at our truck by noon for a group of noobs seems like a tall task - especially when you throw in complications like ice, snow, and weather. Should we reconsider our options, or, push through - assuming there's nothing too extreme in the forecast?

And veering slightly off topic - "Via Ferrata" - is that even going to be an option with the weather? I realize that's probably park specific, but figured this was a good a place as any to ask. What about Bridal Falls? Do-able with weather? Three Lakes? Hanging Lake? Black Canyon?

We are an ADVENTURE family... Gray's and Torrey's seemed rather mundane when we were booking everything. Now I'm worried that the entire trip is in jeopardy because of inclimate weather.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: We start our first Colorado vacation in 2 days - HELP!

Post by Trotter »

Do the 14ers another year, and if you want a better chance, don't come early june to colorado. They are snow free generally by july.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

Unfortunately, you're probably out of luck with 14ers for your trip. The weather forecasts are indeed terrible everywhere for the next several days at least. There is still a lot of snow in the high mountains and lack of snow gear would make for unpleasant and potentially dangerous outings on these mountains.

There are via ferrata routes in Telluride and Ouray (and maybe others that I don't know about?). While you would still have to deal with the weather, those routes are likely snow-free or have minimal snow by now.

Sometimes you just can't win against the weather. I would bet many of us that live in Colorado are either going to do something very short and non-committing this weekend, or just wave the white flag and stay below the treeline.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Arapahoe Basin has a Via Ferratta, but they're... you know, still skiing there. :mrgreen:
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Sorry, not good timing for a first 14er - maybe go to Rocky Mountain National Park instead? Tons of hiking at lower altitudes to mountain lakes, etc with great views (if it's not actively storming). Bear Lake, the Loch, Mills Lake, etc.

But you'll need to either enter early or try to make last minute reservations.

FYI, in basically every year there is a lot of snow in the mountains in June. In this particular year there is a LOT of snow in the mountains.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Royal Gorge also has a via ferrata that is certainly free of any snow:

https://royalgorgebridge.com/rides-attr ... LAQAvD_BwE
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
clay7428
Trip Reports (0)

Post by clay7428 »

Thank you for the replies - I'm sincerely worried our entire trip is in jeopardy at this point.

Everything we've planned on doing is outdoors, hiking and exploring; Gray's and Torrey's, Bridal Veil Falls, Three Lakes, Black Canyon, etc.

But, we're certainly not quitters.

We'll be staying in SIlverthorne during our stay. What kind of SNOW BASED activities are still available this time of year in the Northern half of Colorado? (Note: it really is hard for my brain to comprehend that statement - snowing in June). How about the "Alpine Trail" overlanding route? Is skiing an option somewhere? How about an outfitter that'll rent out spikes and poles, etc? Are there any peaks that are less than 14k feet up that'll be do-able? Something that the rest of the "tourist" don't know about that'll still get the blood pumping?

I'm desperate - and I realize this topic has now gone completely off topic from the 14er's based forum it was meant for, but any help is greatly appreciated... this is our 20 year anniversary, my son's graduation, and my (first) retirement all rolled in to one trip.
Ryan987
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ryan987 »

Believe us when we say this on a forum focused on 14ers.com, 14ers are not everything. I've had equally or better magnificent views on 13ers or 12ers.

Now I don't know the snow conditions, but the alpine loop (going back up on Williams pass) is one of my favorite hikes in all of CO. Worth looking into it. It's west of Buena Vista

I would still at least buy microspikes. You'll be perfectly fine with cheap ones off Amazon
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Ryan987 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:45 am Believe us when we say this on a forum focused on 14ers.com, 14ers are not everything. I've had equally or better magnificent views on 13ers or 12ers.

Now I don't know the snow conditions, but the alpine loop (going back up on Williams pass) is one of my favorite hikes in all of CO. Worth looking into it. It's west of Buena Vista

I would still at least buy microspikes. You'll be perfectly fine with cheap ones off Amazon
Unfortunately neither of the trails/roads that are referred to as “the alpine loop” are open.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

clay7428 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:32 am
We'll be staying in SIlverthorne during our stay. What kind of SNOW BASED activities are still available this time of year in the Northern half of Colorado? (Note: it really is hard for my brain to comprehend that statement - snowing in June). How about the "Alpine Trail" overlanding route? Is skiing an option somewhere? How about an outfitter that'll rent out spikes and poles, etc? Are there any peaks that are less than 14k feet up that'll be do-able? Something that the rest of the "tourist" don't know about that'll still get the blood pumping?
I think the most commonly mentioned starter thirteener here is Sniktau. Not a bad drive from Silverthorne, and snow should not be an issue as you'll be hiking up west facing slopes that get wind blasted all winter, so the snow goes sailing off on to the east side of the mountain. From the top of Loveland Pass, for Sniktau go east, go left at the top. You can also go right at the top and hit "Cupid" and then over to Grizzly Peak D, that's a good day's outing. All of that above treeline.

There, a helpful (hopefully) illustration should you chose to do this. This was mid-winter, and you can see even then very little snow.
Flickr  Rifle Falls Loveland_451 labels.jpg
Flickr Rifle Falls Loveland_451 labels.jpg (209.63 KiB) Viewed 841 times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

clay7428 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:53 pm Howdy from Texas!

Q: How do you know when someone's from Texas?
A: Don't worry - they'll tell ya!
Uh oh, they're becoming self-aware.
Make wilderness less accessible.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Not trying to be a downer but with the conditions this season it might be more enjoyable for your celebration if you could postpone it and reschedule for later this year? As opposed to trying to scramble last minute to find something else that would work. Whatever you decide to do, this adventure will make for a special memory for your family.
I should be on a mountain