What if I become a Longs Peak team fill-in guy? (camping)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

What if I become a Longs Peak team fill-in guy? (camping)

Post by jibler »

Hey so hitting longs has continued to elude me.

Recall that i actually had permit in sept 21 to spend the night up there and then climb it. but I got covid - i think. Tested negative but it was no gouda.

but that is how i'd prefer to take longs -spend a night up there and do it classy-like.

So what i put it out there that if someone has some kind of opening in their reservation/permit on such and such a date -- I can be that Fill-In guy to jump in there??

Is that kind of thing done? here?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Re: What if I become a Longs Peak team fill-in guy? (camping)

Post by jibler »

the radio silence on this one is leaving me further confused on this plan....

two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

idk jibby, camping in the boulder field looks like a total freaking nightmare to me. exposed, windy, and boulder..y... just day trip it :)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

I did exactly that many years ago - someone had a spot that I was able to fill.

I actually slept great at the boulder field. The only downside was carrying a big pack up there. The tent sites had excellent rock walls and it was nice having a much shorter day. So many people stumbled past us looking like zombies as the approached the Keyhole.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

two lunches wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:48 pm idk jibby, camping in the boulder field looks like a total freaking nightmare to me. exposed, windy, and boulder..y... just day trip it :)
I actually had a very pleasant experience back packing the boulder field last August. Was nice to just take our time instead of feeling the whole day rush that Long's poses. The developed camping locations were pretty nice with the sandy base and high rock walls. We got 2 tents into one of the bigger sites and really enjoyed it. Packed in during the day and arrived and set up camp by 4pm and had great weather so we decided to push for the summit arriving just before sunset. Only encountered 2 lost people beyond the key hole and that was truly amazing compared to my first conga-line summit of Long's on an August day in 2014.

Jibler, I hope you can find a group to join because it's a great experience camping at the boulder field.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Having summited multiple times from both styles, I strongly prefer day hiking. IMO, while a very unique and cool experience, the camping kind of sucks up at the Boulderfield and for me, the odds of success would be better day hiking.

In any case jib, there are quite a few spots still open in the late August-Sept time frame on the reservation website. Earlier in the season they are midweeks, but in September weekends open up too.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

This is likely doable, but asking the community in May for a spot in late September probably isn't the move. I've been told by park employees that it's easy enough to call the wilderness office the day before and they'll likely have a no-show you can steal a permit from. Haven't tried it myself though.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

just do it in a day. way less hassle...
cardgenius
14ers: 40  8  4 
13ers: 77 8 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cardgenius »

I’ve been wanting to get back up Longs for a few years now so if you want to day trip it, I’ll roll with ya jib!
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I could definitely use a crew - esp to try a day trip of longs

I've never quite understood the mechanics of that - you sleep in car at trailhead?

does that require RMNP permit - for dayhike?

This may go down as a sort of humble summer - but I am actually hoping to get a little nuts locally and knock out the big 3 14ers.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

jibler wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:15 pm I could definitely use a crew - esp to try a day trip of longs

I've never quite understood the mechanics of that - you sleep in car at trailhead?

I debated finding one of the handful of legal options to camp along the Peak to Peak (camping in the lot is not allowed, and ymmv with getting away with it) before ultimately deciding I would sleep at home - I figured a bit over an hour less sleep, but good sleep, was better than the intermittent sleep I often get in my car/camping. No regrets as it played out in my case. I'm only about 75min from the trailhead, so I got up around 12:30, ate a good breakfast, drove to the trailhead (eating a second breakfast en-route), and got started on the trail just before 3. Hit the Keyhole right at sunrise, as I planned. Granted I suspect I usually go to bed earlier than many, and I managed to be asleep even earlier than normal - by like 8:30 - that night.

No RMNP day access permit needed anywhere in the park if you enter before 5am (Bear Lake corridor), or before 9am (anywhere not in Bear Lake corridor). For a normal Longs start, getting there that early is a given, regardless of whether they actually enforce entrance permits or not there (I've never gone to that lot after 9am so I have no idea!).
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

jibler wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:15 pm I've never quite understood the mechanics of that - you sleep in car at trailhead?

we left boulder proper at 3am, arrived at the trailhead shortly before 4, and found a completely full lot while it was still dark as sh*t on a saturday in august. the cars lining the road were... abundant... and some of them parked fairly precariously off the edge of the road. as matt mentioned, no permit is necessary.

i totally understand wanting to go with a crew, but like all front range 14ers, trust me when i say that you will NOT be alone up there on any route.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis