Questions on a new 14er hiking solo

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Snyderman1966
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Questions on a new 14er hiking solo

Post by Snyderman1966 »

Thank you all for you help, opinions and guidance. I'm very sure I'm going to make this trip and maybe get Elbert and Massive off my list 1st. If I do pull the trigger and make the trip I'll probably have a lot more questions when I get closer. I picked September because I figured the hottest summer weather and busiest tourism seasons are over, plus I have plenty of NY high peaks an Appalachian trail hiking already planned for the summer.

Can anyone tell me when is the rainy season on Colorado? I should expect cold temps and snow in September?
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by terribletigzy »

Snyderman1966 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:54 pm Thank you all for you help, opinions and guidance. I'm very sure I'm going to make this trip and maybe get Elbert and Massive off my list 1st. If I do pull the trigger and make the trip I'll probably have a lot more questions when I get closer. I picked September because I figured the hottest summer weather and busiest tourism seasons are over, plus I have plenty of NY high peaks an Appalachian trail hiking already planned for the summer.

Can anyone tell me when is the rainy season on Colorado? I should expect cold temps and snow in September?
The rainiest part of the year tends to be July and August (monsoon season). Afternoon thunderstorms are (almost) always a concern during this time of year. September is the best time for hikes that will have you above tree line for extended periods. The storm risk is significantly reduced and it is generally before any snow has substantially accumulated. Weather can still be unpredictable in September, so still important to watch forecasts and be prepared for unexpected weather. Snow and thunder/lightning can happen all year round.
Live a Fuller Life
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Snyderman1966 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:46 pm Thank you sir! What's your opinion on hiking these peaks solo? Is it foolish?
No. Class One hikes, easily followed trails, popular peaks so other people will be about, shouldn't be problems.

(projectile vomiting? I think someone is pulling your leg)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Snyderman1966 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:54 pm

Cold mornings, nice temps after the sun is up for a few hours if it's a clear day. Can snow, it usually, mostly, doesn't accumulate to more than a few inches (but not always), and it melts pretty quickly, the ground is still warm that time of year.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
14ers: 14 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

Snyderman1966 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:54 pm Thank you all for you help, opinions and guidance. I'm very sure I'm going to make this trip and maybe get Elbert and Massive off my list 1st. If I do pull the trigger and make the trip I'll probably have a lot more questions when I get closer. I picked September because I figured the hottest summer weather and busiest tourism seasons are over, plus I have plenty of NY high peaks an Appalachian trail hiking already planned for the summer.

I like late August. Kids back in school, so the trails are less active with crowds. Last year the monsoon ran late (I was there Aug. 18th-21st), so had to deal with the weather each day, but was still able to hike 3 of 4 days. Did Massive and Princeton, had to bail with storms on Day 3). I'm a flatlander (currently live at sea level) and I literally fly to Denver on Day 1 and hike a 14er on Day 2. I'm 57 years old and try to keep in shape. Keeping hydrated and energy-fueled plus a couple of Aleve seem to help with the altitude issues (so far). Keep asking questions, as you probably have figured out, there are so many here to help.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

If you’re taking your AT/NY trail experience and looking at 14er mileage and vertical and thinking “I can do that” - just know that the higher elevation makes a huge difference to most people. Encourage you to seek mileage and vert that’s less than what you consider your capacity out east.

I will opine in favor of Diamoxx. The group I did 14ers with had frequent issues with altitude sickness our first three years of coming out from the Midwest. Started taking Diamoxx in year four and symptoms were much milder.

Solo hiking is fine with proper prep including informing loved ones of your plans and timetable. Solo camping is more of an individual response thing. I’ve done 40-some 14ers now, many from remote back country camps but always with 1-3 others. Last fall I car camped at the TH for Belford on a very dark and windy October night. Not another soul there. Completely freaked me out 🤣.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Snyderman1966 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:50 pm Hi, I'm new to the 14ers. I want to come to Colorado this September to attempt my 1st 14er. I've done some Appalachian Trail hikes and Some NY High Peaks and I'm ready for a bigger challenge. I'm usually hiking with a friend, but my trip to Colorado will be a solo hike. I'll probably spend a week there and hit Pikes Peak 1st, star at Barr Camp then up and back down. I'm thinking of trying Elbert and maybe Massive while I'm there. My question/concern is being a solo hiker is it safe to stay alone at one of the Forestry Service campgrounds near the trail heads? I'm not familiar with the area, I don't know my way around. Can I count on a chance of other people being at the campgrounds or are these areas usually not used much in mid September? Would I be better off staying at a local hotel? I want to stay at one of the campgrounds so I can acclimate to the elevation before the hike but I'm concerned about being out there if other people aren't around. Yes, I'm a little paranoid and I've watched too many scary movies! :-D

What peaks in New York did you hike solo?

Reason I ask is that a good portion of the high peaks in NY feel more remote and isolated than the average Colorado 14er and have less reliable GPS signals given the rock walls, cols and dense forest you hike through to reach summits with many in less defined trails.

If you did those solo and felt comfortable then I think you should feel ok on most of the 14ers.
Snyderman1966
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snyderman1966 »

nyker wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:37 am
Snyderman1966 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:50 pm Hi, I'm new to the 14ers. I want to come to Colorado this September to attempt my 1st 14er. I've done some Appalachian Trail hikes and Some NY High Peaks and I'm ready for a bigger challenge. I'm usually hiking with a friend, but my trip to Colorado will be a solo hike. I'll probably spend a week there and hit Pikes Peak 1st, star at Barr Camp then up and back down. I'm thinking of trying Elbert and maybe Massive while I'm there. My question/concern is being a solo hiker is it safe to stay alone at one of the Forestry Service campgrounds near the trail heads? I'm not familiar with the area, I don't know my way around. Can I count on a chance of other people being at the campgrounds or are these areas usually not used much in mid September? Would I be better off staying at a local hotel? I want to stay at one of the campgrounds so I can acclimate to the elevation before the hike but I'm concerned about being out there if other people aren't around. Yes, I'm a little paranoid and I've watched too many scary movies! :-D

What peaks in New York did you hike solo?

Reason I ask is that a good portion of the high peaks in NY feel more remote and isolated than the average Colorado 14er and have less reliable GPS signals given the rock walls, cols and dense forest you hike through to reach summits with many in less defined trails.

If you did those solo and felt comfortable then I think you should feel ok on most of the 14ers.
Good morning, the last two summers I did Marcy, Algonquin, Iroquois and Wrights Peek, but I didn't do them solo I did them with a good friend. My AT backpacking trips were with my girlfriend so I've never done an overnight alone. Not that I'm scared to camp or hike alone, but I'm not familiar with the area and it seems rather remote. Like I said I watch too many movies and it gets my mind going.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

ok, those 46ers you mention are all on pretty busy, well traveled trails; here are my thoughts if this is your first time to CO, at 14k? and in a new mountain range.

Assuming you did each Marcy and the combination of Algonquin/Iroquois/Wrights (as one trip) as two different day trips out and back from the parking lot at the Loj and felt good doing them, then you are fit enough to climb the easier 14ers; but you'll need to focus on acclimatization for the higher altitude as you mention.

If you're at all concerned about being alone or just feel more comfortable around people, stick to the busier peaks which all have nice trails to the top: Pikes and Elbert will be good as would be Grays and Torreys, Bierstadt, Evans. September could see a beautiful clear day with reduced monsoon risk, or it could snow, so be prepared for both. Algonquin has trickier terrain than any of those six above on their standard routes.

Whether or not you should stay in a hotel has more to do with comfort vs safety IMO, though sure safety could be a concern at ANY backcountry campsite (is your concern over safety human related or animal related?) I've never felt unsafe camping in the backcountry in CO, though I never camped in a busy campsite, usually in a more remote area. I have had some interesting animals come visit me though...

Acclimatization can be a benefit of camping higher up, but you can also stay in a place like Leadville which at 10,000ft should give you the acclimatization you need - but realize you'll likely acclimate better by moderately exerting yourself at higher elevation rather than just sleeping higher up all things equal, but sleeping higher up will still help. Also if you don't sleep well higher up at a campsite and you wake up tired and burned out, that might negate any benefit from trying to acclimatize and a motel might be a better answer depending on how you sleep in camp.

A sample plan would be stay in Denver one night the day you come in, a mountain town one night, maybe spend a day at 10-11k walking around, then climb on your third day and make sure your hydration routine is good.

Good luck!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

You should prepare for a wide range of temperatures in September, 20 degree wind chill on the summit to 70s hiking out under the afternoon sun. That means layers, winter jacket, wool hat, light gloves. Above treeline starts getting light dustings of snow in late August. But usually not serious accumulation until October. Overnight temperatures near the trailhead can fall below freezing, leaving ice crusts near streams and on the snow. There is a possibility it could snow when you are driving in the mountains.

As to crowds, the vacationing families disappear when school begins mid August. Then there are bursts of tourists over Labor Day and trees change color mid September.
Snyderman1966
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snyderman1966 »

Thank you for all your input. I'm going to do this now I just need to schedule it. I wanted to come out on August 27th and hike up to Barr Camp on the 28th and stay over but I just found out they aren't open on Mondays and Tuesdays. I like the idea of breaking up my 1st 14er 1/2 way up at a place like Barr Camp. If there isn't a viable solution then I'll either fly out on the 29th or wait until after labor day. I don't think I want to be out there over the holiday weekend. what's your thought on this?

This is my tentative schedule. I still have to make reservations, flights, etc.

Fly to Colorado springs early on Aug 29th stay at hotel
Morning of Aug 30th hike up to Barr Camp, stay over night.
Morning of Aug 31st hike to Pikes Peak Summit and back down to Barr Camp, stay over night.
Morning of Friday September 1st hike back down to base and drive to campground near Mt Elbert trailhead, set up camp.
Morning of Saturday September 2nd hike to summit of Mt Elbert and back to camp
Morning of Sunday September 3rd hike to summit of Mt Massive and back to camp
Labor day Monday September 4th fly home.

My concerns are the holiday weekend and if I wait till after Labor Day then will the weather be more questionable? I have no issue hiking in snow I do it here in NY State but I'd rather avoid the snow especially at higher elevations. Maybe I'll scrap this plan and just fly out on the 27th and camp near Elbert and Massive and do those two instead. I can hike average of 15 miles a day no issue, but thats on the AT not in the Rockies.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

^ "Your thoughts are appreciated."

Elbert (4700' vert & 9 miles) and Massive (4500 vert & 14 miles) on back to back days is going to be tough.
Yes,I have done it, but I live here.

If you get overwhelmed - a spend a day in Leadville, a really cool town.
The National Mining Museum is outstanding. The town visitor center has
a (several mile, dirt road) driving tour guide of the historical mining district.
Or take a casual stroll up to the 13K scenic Mosquito Pass.

Oh yes, don't forget the High Mountain Pies pizzas.