Crampon pants

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Crampon pants

Post by daway8 »

I'm sure just about everyone who's worn crampons has done it at least once: riiiippp! So much for those nice snow pants!

I thought a good slice or two would cure me but, although I may be a little more aware and last a little longer into the day, after hours of scrambling over variable terrain it eventually happens. Every. Single. Time.

Anyone else here a member of Repeat Rippers? Curious what sort of solutions folks have found for good pants that keep you warm and dry and yet somehow deal with the crampon curse? Lots of patching? Look for cheap pants? Ride horses before every hike so you'll walk bowlegged? :lol:
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Crampon pants

Post by d_baker »

Patch instep with cordura.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Still happens to me. I go for cheap pants, but nice pants plus cheap gaiters also work.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Gaiters. Having my pants cuffs tucked inside gaiters greatly reduces the chances of snagging in the first place, plus it's cheaper to replace gaiters instead of a good pair of pants if I do snag.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

I also use gaiters. The Kahtoola large/tall size (up to mid-calf) are wide enough to fit over my La Sportiva Nepal boots. I also find that muscle memory is a good way to deter kicking myself with crampons. One slice to the back of my ankle, or a too-low step over some rock that causes an unpleasant almost-fall, and I remember to keep my feet apart and lift them high!
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

One thing I found is that using poles helps. I found when I use poles I place my feet more deliberately and slower than without poles, reducing the chance I puncture my other pant leg! And then yes as others mentioned Gaitors are good especially taller ones.
Anima
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 201 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Anima »

Arcteryx makes a pant with a material on the inside of the ankle/shin that is designed to protect against crampon punctures. I know the material was in the Sigma AR pants as of 2019 as those are the pair I own. I don't think they make these pants anymore, but their Beta AR pants have it. If you google the pants and look at a picture, you'll notice a different color fabric on the inside of the ankle/shin, which is the protected area. I've stabbed these pants several times with my crampons and have never torn them where the protective fabric is located. That being said if you catch the outside part of the ankle or anything higher up than about halfway up the shin, they will rip.

I would say it's worth it if they still sold the Sigma AR pants which were a fraction of the cost of the Beta AR. For $500, I'd probably just buy cheaper pairs and replace them as they got ripped up since the Arcterx pants are by no means bulletproof in any other area than the inner shin/ankle and will get torn up.
What is real will prosper.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Yeah, the answer is to get "real" mountaineering pants. I too use crampons when I need hard snow/ice traction (tried microspikes and found them annoying/lacking). Real mountaineering pants will have burly cordura patches on the inner calf/ankle area that's immune to those very distinctive L-shaped tears caused by crampons. Of course such pants tend to be a bit heavier and thus maybe hotter for 4 season use. Oh, and unless you're routinely climbing pure ice, try not to sharpen your front points (and the ones just behind). Just not really needed for average mountaineering and sharp points will aggravate your problem. And fwiw mountaineering pants will often have an internal gaiter which you activate by attaching thin stretch cord between the provided eyelets. I've successfully used internal gaiters for decades.

Or use beefy gaiters.

-Tom
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Something else to look for is a pant with a 'slim' leg around the calf, and no seams on the inside of the calf/ankle, both of which will help keep crampons from snagging.

Also, as suggested above, adding a cordura patch to the inside of the pants leg can help with durability. If you're not big on sewing, you can just cut a piece to the right size, seal the edges with a lighter, then apply aquaseal to the back of the cordura and press it into place on the pants, spreading some of the squeeze-out over the edge of the cordura to keep it from snagging on things.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Here's my take: embrace your inner Euro and buy some tighter fitting pants. Without the bagginess, you will be less likely to snag.
Last edited by spoony on Tue May 30, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Spoony is on to something! I noticed that in winter, when I wore my heavy insulated ski pants on 14ers, I shredded the built-in gaters over time. While in spring, when I switch to slimmer ski pants (really liking my OR Cirque II softshells), I don't seem to have much trouble (knock-knock). I use light aluminum crampons, and less weight helps with mobility and coordination. Also, I use French crampon technique if I am forced to boot up something steep (I'd rather not). Also, practice, practice, practice ๐Ÿ˜‰
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I use Bluefield gaiters. They work great and no biggie if they rip.
Screenshot_20230530-125719_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230530-125719_Chrome.jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point