Humboldt Questions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
trekingwithhim
Trip Reports (0)

Humboldt Questions

Post by trekingwithhim »

I plan to hike Humboldt in early August. Having never been to that area, I'm wondering...

What is the current condition of the road to the 4wd trailhead? I have a stock 4wd Ford Expedition (on road tires) and I'm used to driving in pastures & min maintenance country roads. Is this doable for me or do I need a plan B or use the 2wd trailhead? I made it up Gray/Torrey's without an issue in this vehicle.

How early do those lots (2wd or 4wd) fill up on a weekday?

How long does it take to drive from Westcliffe to the trailhead? I'm staying at a camp near Westcliffe.

Is there anything else I need to know about this hike, that I may have missed in my research?

Thank you all!
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Humboldt Questions

Post by k_fergie »

I doubt that either the 2wd or 4wd lot will be full on a weekday, but can't be certain.

Westcliffe to the 2wd TH is pretty quick, probably like 20 mins or so. The last couple miles to the 4wd TH can take a while, plan for 45 mins or so from the 2wd TH.

Your car can probably make it to the TH in your vehicle with some clever driving and willingness to rough up the car, but the road is very slow-going and has a couple challenging sections without 4-low gearing. I wouldn't say a low range gearbox is a necessity now that the infamous drainpipe section has been fixed. But without 4-low you'll have to go faster than desirable through some bumpy/rutted sections and will maybe scrape and definitely get bounced around a lot. I've seen Subarus up at the upper trailhead. I've also seen a Subaru completely rip their road-looking tire apart on a rock. The worst section is the ~1 mile right past the 2wd TH, and there is private property with no easy options to turn around once you get going, not until Rainbow TH where the road improves
I thought, I taught, I wrought
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

The road beyond the 2WD trailhead parking area has really gotten bad over the last several years. My son and I drove my 4WD, lifted, all terrain tires Blazer just past the intersection of the 4WD road and the Rainbow Trail last year, our intent was to hike Marble Mountain. It was a super rough drive, but in a 4WD with good clearance it is doable...clearance being absolutely essential. I doubt the lots will be completely full on a weekday...the 2WD trailhead is pretty spacious, the 4WD TH has quite a bit of room for those adventurous enough to make it, plus there are some pull offs with pre-made tent pads a couple hundred yards before the parking area, that's where we parked and just hike a little extra. It takes at most 20 minutes to get from Westcliffe to the 2WD trailhead, it will take at least another 30 minutes to get to the 4WD trailhead just because the road conditions aren't great.
Last edited by huffy13 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
brousseau
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brousseau »

You'll make it with little to no problem in your Expedition. I was up there last summer with no issues and have the same stock ground clearance as your Expedition. I do recall the upper lot being rather full when I was there (it was a weekend), but there were a handful of spots. I would be extra cautious to protect the sidewall with road tires vs. off-road tires but the 30-minute drive is worth it compared to hiking from the 2WD lot (I've done both).
Instagram: @jbparker_co
edmdais1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edmdais1 »

I’m headed up there next week. I have a 4 Runner with off road tires. I will put a TH condition report up after I do the peak. I’m planning it for next Friday. This will give you an idea of the conditions of the road and parking.
cvbuffs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cvbuffs »

Drove up this road two weeks ago in a stock 4WD Xterra. Drove up late Thursday night and there was only 3 other cars in the lot. Road has a few crummy areas, but nothing that should prevent a 4WD vehicle from making it to the top. All of the deadfall mentioned in late spring has been cleared on the roadway (even after the 4WD parking area, the road is has been cleared all the way up to the old TH.)
trekingwithhim
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trekingwithhim »

Thank you all for the info! I appreciate it. Should be a fun hike.
Krispy
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Krispy »

Hi all -

Wanted to bump this thread since the last posts were from roughly a year ago. I am planing to do Humboldt with my dad and a couple buddies in July, and since we're from MN we will be renting a vehicle. The plan was to get something similar to a Chevy Equinox to keep cost down a bit, but having just read the previous posts, I'm a little concerned it wouldn't have the clearance to get to the upper trailhead. Do folks who have done it agree with that, or do you think it might be doable. Just trying to decide if the extra $$$ for something with better clearance is worth it to save my dad the extra walking if we'd have to park at the lower trailhead without a different vehicle.

Thanks in advance!
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by terribletigzy »

Krispy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:20 am Hi all -

Wanted to bump this thread since the last posts were from roughly a year ago. I am planing to do Humboldt with my dad and a couple buddies in July, and since we're from MN we will be renting a vehicle. The plan was to get something similar to a Chevy Equinox to keep cost down a bit, but having just read the previous posts, I'm a little concerned it wouldn't have the clearance to get to the upper trailhead. Do folks who have done it agree with that, or do you think it might be doable. Just trying to decide if the extra $$$ for something with better clearance is worth it to save my dad the extra walking if we'd have to park at the lower trailhead without a different vehicle.

Thanks in advance!
I was just up there this past weekend and wouldn't recommend attempting to take an Equinox to the upper trailhead. Don't know what your other options are or how much additional they cost, but it is likely worth it. You will have a much better chance of both making it to the top and not causing any damage to the rental in a more capable vehicle. Alternatively, you could look into some other peaks with easier roads, there are plenty of alternatives.
Live a Fuller Life
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Krispy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:20 am Hi all -

Thanks in advance!
Pay for the higher clearance vehicle. Imagine letting a small amount of money, presumably split amongst the group and a small portion of the overall cost of an out of state trip, be the difference between summiting or not.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Just make sure you have added coverage in case of damage. Most insurance companies won't cover the cost of damage due to off-roading a rental car IF the rental company specifically prohibits it. That means YOU'RE out of pocket.

That said, high clearance is needed to the upper parking or risk damage.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Krispy
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Krispy »

Hm, these responses are all about what I was expecting. Thinking I might look into a truck of some sort. Looks like I can get a Ram 1500 for a bit more. That or just convince my dad that an extra 5 miles isn't that bad... :lol: