Collegiate Range

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Skikeowee
Trip Reports (0)

Collegiate Range

Post by Skikeowee »

I understand that Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Antero, Shavano and Tabequache are all within easy reach of Buena Vista. I’m looking to camp and do 3-4 of these over a week this summer. Several questions…
Which of these would you recommend for a first timer? Which order would you do them?
When would you expect snow to be gone?
When ppl say start early, what should I expect for each peak?
Where would you suggest to have a base camp? I could move 1/2 thru if that was best.

Thanks all in advance for your replies.
Logan5280
14ers: 58  7  8 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Collegiate Range

Post by Logan5280 »

These are all within an hour of Buena Vista, with Yale and Princeton being much closer. The easiest of these would be Princeton (assuming you drive up to the towers), followed by Yale. Given the snow conditions this year, most routes will likely be mostly dry by late June, although that's just a guess and there could be a lot of variance.

When people say to start early, the goal is to be well below treeline before noon due to lightning, forecast dependent. So, your start time really depends on route length and your hiking speed. 3-6am start time is probably a good idea for these peaks.

I'm not super familiar with camping around there, but Buena Vista is pretty central for these peaks. Also, if you're from out of state, it might be a good idea to set aside a day or two to do an easier acclimatization hike around there. It'll make hiking considerably more comfortable at altitude.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Maybe Princeton, easiest, then Yale, and then if you are feeling good, Shavano and Tabeguache are a 2 for 1 deal, but also a long day. Or just one of the two if you aren't feeling it. Antero can be shortened quite a bit with a 4 WD vehicle, so if you don't have that, set it aside for another time. It's been a few years, but I did Antero in June and I remember crossing some snow that was still drifted across the upper upper jeep road, I just don't remember how far into June that was.

Starting at 6 am probably adequate for most days out here, that is, storms not developing before noon.

There is series of campsites a few miles up the road to Cottonwood Pass (also the way to the trailhead for Yale), you might have some luck there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

If the OP is still in the planning phase, agree with the early start time recommendations and I would strongly recommend Yale as a starter. That’s a great Sawatch hike with easy access to the trailhead.

I sadly just finished up another wonderful week in the Front/Sawatch ranges and now have another year to think about coming back. Since we tend to base near Princeton, do people have fonder memories of hiking Harvard (standard), Columbia (new standard), Antero (Little Browns Creek) or Shavano/Tabeguache (standard)? They all seem like big Class 2 days up rocky slopes with great views of other 14ers, but I wouldn’t know which is preferable.