Hiking Peaks 9 and 10 question

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Hiking Peaks 9 and 10 question

Post by huffy13 »

My wife and I are planning a 4-5 day trip to Breck in the first week of September, staying at or near either the Beaver Run Resort or at a condo right across the street from the Snowflake TH. My question is, since ski season is not under way that early, is it possible to hike up to the end of the Snowflake Trail at the reservoir and then continue up to Peaks 9 and 10 from there, taking the ski slopes or the winding roads that switchback through the slopes? Just trying to see if I could just leave from the place we rent and leave the truck for my wife just in case she needed it.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking Peaks 9 and 10 question

Post by Monte Meals »

Snow can be a problem even the first week in September.

The Snowflake trail will only get you so (not so very) far up
and walking up to the actual 13K + summit of peak 9 and 10
is still going to be a challenge.

Much better to stick to the switchback road
(which many locals regularly jog for conditioning)
and ridge walk from there.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Monte Meals wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:20 pm Snow can be a problem even the first week in September.

The Snowflake trail will only get you so (not so very) far up
and walking up to the actual 13K + summit of peak 9 and 10
is still going to be a challenge.

Much better to stick to the switchback road
(which many locals regularly jog for conditioning)
and ridge walk from there.
I am aware that snow can be an issue, though unlikely that early, and I've already calculated mileage, elevation gain, etc....this isn't my first rodeo as far as hiking 14ers and 13ers. I'm specifically wondering if I am allowed to hike on the ski area slopes and those roads. The distance is completely doable if hiking the route I'm looking at doing (roughly 8.5 miles RT) and elevation gain (about 4000 total gain), both well within my abilities, the place I decide to rent may hinge on where I can begin my hikes. Sorry, I probably should have made that clear at the opening.
Last edited by huffy13 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

They may still be riding the mountain (MTB) in early September, which would confuse me on what trails, if any, are open to hiking - and what you'd want to hike down, knowing that there's downhill riders going the opposite direction.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

justiner wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:38 pm They may still be riding the mountain (MTB) in early September, which would confuse me on what trails, if any, are open to hiking - and what you'd want to hike down, knowing that there's downhill riders going the opposite direction.
According to the resort's web page there isn't any activities planned from the 5th through the 11th. I'm taking that info with a grain of salt just because I know a lot of places don't do a great job updating their multimedia. Would the rides be a planned thing or is it just open to bikes?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Trails would be open just like ski runs would be open for skis.

I know they can be persnickety about just regular people on the ski area. I cut through when I did my Ten Mile Traverse,

https://www.strava.com/activities/345559929

I remember feeling a little weird being the only person out without a bike. Total role switch for me!

(don't follow that track into the glades obviously!
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Yeah, it's fine. And most years snow will not be a problem.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

justiner wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:04 pm Trails would be open just like ski runs would be open for skis.

I know they can be persnickety about just regular people on the ski area. I cut through when I did my Ten Mile Traverse,

https://www.strava.com/activities/345559929

I remember feeling a little weird being the only person out without a bike. Total role switch for me!

(don't follow that track into the glades obviously!
Awesome, thanks! Edit: looked at your strava data, 26 miles, over 8000 ft total gain, in less than 8 hrs? Remind me to never try to hike with you.LOL That's amazing.
Last edited by huffy13 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Jorts wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:40 pm Yeah, it's fine. And most years snow will not be a problem.
Yes sir, I've hiked as late as early October and only one time have I ever been turned around by snow...an early snow (Sept 22nd, 2009) on an attempt of Huron with my kids.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I hiked these late last September from Crystal and didn't have any problems, but didn't go through the resort. Jeeps drive most of the way to Peak 10. There are trails and roads all over. I've hiked other ski areas in summer/dry conditions and that's allowed but they didn't have mountain biking.

Peak 10 has awful loose talus
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
huffy13
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

cougar wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:58 pm

Yeah, looking at pics and TRs I think it is going to be comparable to West Spanish Peak, maybe not as bad, but similar.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

huffy13 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:44 pm
cougar wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:58 pm

Yeah, looking at pics and TRs I think it is going to be comparable to West Spanish Peak, maybe not as bad, but similar.
Much much worse than WSP. Especially north slopes, I think it would be better to go up/down the east side from the road and weather station vs the direct ridge to 9.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"