Winter Class 3 Routes?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JoeBob13
14ers: 29  6 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Class 3 Routes?

Post by JoeBob13 »

Are there any "dip your toes in" kind of class 3 (or easy class 3) winter routes? I'm getting a little bored of class 2 and miss all the class 3(which I would consider myself comfortable on) and class 4 (sketch but doable) I get to do in the summer. Any suggestions (13er or 14er)? I was thinking Pacific Peak West ridge, but to be honest I'm not sure what to expect. I've done something like 16 (13ers and 14ers combined) winter ascents so far this year.

Thanks for any advice!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Winter Class 3 Routes?

Post by Scott P »

Pacific West Ridge would be a good one, but if you haven't done class 3 in winter, I'd work up to that as it's a different animal in winter vs. summer.

If you aren't experienced in winter Class 3, maybe try the NW Ridge of Atlantic first as it is very nearby. It's a solid Class 2+ in winter and a beauty of a route.

You could also look through the book Colorado Snow Climbs by Cooper as it has a lot of good suggestions in that difficulty range.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JoeBob13
14ers: 29  6 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JoeBob13 »

Scott P wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:59 pm Pacific West Ridge would be a good one, but if you haven't done class 3 in winter, I'd work up to that as it's a different animal in winter vs. summer.

If you aren't experienced in winter Class 3, maybe try the NW Ridge of Atlantic first as it is very nearby. It's a solid Class 2+ in winter and a beauty of a route.

You could also look through the book Colorado Snow Climbs by Cooper as it has a lot of good suggestions in that difficulty range.
Thanks!
Just curious, when looking for more technical winter routes, what kind of terrain features (knife edges like on kelso, smooth sections like on Longs, steep headwalls like on Lindsey's ridge route) are best to steer clear of (other than ones that result in avy danger). I know aspect and time of year can have a large impact on this, but are there any "no goes" or is this too specific of a question?
Thanks again for the advice!
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

There are at least a couple Sawatches that essentially become Class 3 because it’s easier to stick closer to ridge proper than to doggy-paddle through the snow that generally winds up filling in the standard Class 2 route most winters…Yale’s East Ridge and Harvard from Frenchman Creek come to mind. Yale especially doesn’t have too much in the way of wintry Class 3, just enough to give you a taste for it, and the mileage isn’t horrible for a winter fourteener.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Pettingell peak. Short drive on 70. Just might have trouble with skier traffic on the return. It’s still mostly class 2/2+ but you can get a taste of 3 and the ridge gives that airy feeling on the edge while also permitting plenty of room to back away to the S/left.

Mt Arkansas. A aesthetic ridge that is a lot easier than it looks.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Jedpac01
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jedpac01 »

Looking for an accessible coliagate peak to hike on Friday the 30th? Any information would be great!
Thanks in advance.
Jed
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Jedpac01 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 am Looking for an accessible coliagate peak to hike on Friday the 30th? Any information would be great!
Thanks in advance.
Jed
Columbia's SE ridge might be good.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point