Winter Park Splitfest, a gathering of splitboard knuckleheads

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Park Splitfest, a gathering of splitboard knuckleheads

Post by Monte Meals »

Front Range Splitfest, a massive gathering of splitboard experts and never-evers organized by Weston Backcountry, set for this weekend

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/front- ... s-weekend/
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Winter Park Splitfest, a gathering of splitboard knuckleheads

Post by justiner »

Neptune is also having a backcountry ski/splitboard garage sale on Sunday at 10am.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

This is pretty cool, thanks for sharing! Have a busy few days ahead but it’d be nice to attend this, if anyone wanted to car pool from Denver let me know.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I would like to go just to try to sell my extra splitboard and skins.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:26 am I would like to go just to try to sell my extra splitboard and skins.
What kind of skins you got? My 100% mohair ones are dying (i.e. they are dead and I am in denial) and, as far as I can tell, no one sells 100% mohair skins wide enough for a splitboard in the US anymore. Save me from nylon hell plz
I thought, I taught, I wrought
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

k_fergie wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:52 am
climbingcue wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:26 am I would like to go just to try to sell my extra splitboard and skins.
What kind of skins you got? My 100% mohair ones are dying (i.e. they are dead and I am in denial) and, as far as I can tell, no one sells 100% mohair skins wide enough for a splitboard in the US anymore. Save me from nylon hell plz
there are mohair blends still available...k2 makes them for sure.
k_fergie
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

curt86iroc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:28 am
there are mohair blends still available...k2 makes them for sure.
Yeahhhh, but the blends just aren't as good as the full mohair. K2's are re-branded Pomocas. I had some of the Jones re-branded Pomocas and they were OK, but not my favorite. Certainly better than a nylon skin, though.
climbingcue
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have a jones hovercraft 160 CM with Jones skins made by (pomoca) They are also the skins that I am running on my Jones Solution and Carbon Solution. They are 1 million times better than the G3's I had for my Carbon solution. G3 should be out of business, the skins they make have been crap for over 10 years and they still can not make a good set.
eskermo
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

G3 makes EXCELLENT splitboard skins. The G3 Splitboard + Universal is the perfect blend of grip, glide and durability. I have a set for my old Venture I have had for 4 years, and a set I recently picked up for my newer Harpoon split. The old ones are still holding up well. Never had any glue issues, the camming tail clip is secure and foolproof. I have also had Voile, high traction G3, and K2 splitboard skins, and my fiance has Pomocas for her skis. We prefer the G3s over all the other skins.

Don't take my word for it, OutdoorGearLab gives this its top score and Editors Choice for splitboard skins. I am not sponsored or affiliated with G3 or OutdoorGearLab, just like them both.
k_fergie
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:12 pm
I have a jones hovercraft 160 CM with Jones skins made by (pomoca) They are also the skins that I am running on my Jones Solution and Carbon Solution. They are 1 million times better than the G3's I had for my Carbon solution. G3 should be out of business, the skins they make have been crap for over 10 years and they still can not make a good set.
I am running 2012 G3s that I did a bang-on job of regluing with BD Gold Label. The glide is terrible, the grip is somehow even worse than my mohair ones, no idea how they managed that. The glue was approaching a crime against humanity level after 3 years. But I nailed the re-glue so I'm still running them instead of purchasing a new pair mostly because I'm stubborn.

The only thing going for them is that they are extremely durable, I've put at least 100 days on them, skinning over lots of dirt, and the plush isn't torn up too bad.

I've had mixed feelings on Pomocas, but agree that they are much better than my G3s for glide and glue, prrovided they are the mo-mix ones.
climbingcue
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

k_fergie wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:38 pm I am running 2012 G3s that I did a bang-on job of regluing with BD Gold Label. The glide is terrible, the grip is somehow even worse than my mohair ones, no idea how they managed that. The glue was approaching a crime against humanity level after 3 years. But I nailed the re-glue so I'm still running them instead of purchasing a new pair mostly because I'm stubborn.

The only thing going for them is that they are extremely durable, I've put at least 100 days on them, skinning over lots of dirt, and the plush isn't torn up too bad.

I've had mixed feelings on Pomocas, but agree that they are much better than my G3s for glide and glue, prrovided they are the mo-mix ones.
I agree of the crimes again humanity with the glue on the G3's, I had to use goo gone after everytime I put the skins on so I could only do one skin up per day. They also ice up all the time, on one trip I had to take the skin off one ski to get out of the trail, not fun skinning with only a skin on one ski. And the grip up hill was worst that my current jones skins in all situations. The only thing G3 has going for them is they are cheap, and you get what you pay for. They suck and don't work. I will give my old G3's to anyone for free that wants to see what it is like to suffer.
k_fergie
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:07 pm
k_fergie wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:38 pm I am running 2012 G3s that I did a bang-on job of regluing with BD Gold Label. The glide is terrible, the grip is somehow even worse than my mohair ones, no idea how they managed that. The glue was approaching a crime against humanity level after 3 years. But I nailed the re-glue so I'm still running them instead of purchasing a new pair mostly because I'm stubborn.

I agree of the crimes again humanity with the glue on the G3's, I had to use goo gone after everytime I put the skins on so I could only do one skin up per day. They also ice up all the time, on one trip I had to take the skin off one ski to get out of the trail, not fun skinning with only a skin on one ski. And the grip up hill was worst that my current jones skins in all situations. The only thing G3 has going for them is they are cheap, and you get what you pay for. They suck and don't work. I will give my old G3's to anyone for free that wants to see what it is like to suffer.
We are derailing this thread somewhat, but its bringing back memories :lol: . The last time I used mine before re-gluing, I let a friend borrow them for his first time ever splitting. The glue stuck on his board so bad that he had more grip without the skins on and had to walk downhill out to the TH. Downhill travel was impossible on slopes less than 30 degrees and his board basically became even shitter than slowshoes. To my knowledge he has not ever splitboarded again