Best 13er Scrambles & Link-ups

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best 13er Scrambles & Link-ups

Post by climbingcue »

This was a fun day with some good scrambling.

Milwaukee 13,522 ft, Pico Aislado 13,611 ft, PT 13,020, Music 13,380 ft, Tijeras 13,604 ft

Just don't take the gully we took down, it was the wrong one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6019397707
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

supranihilest wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:16 pm So this is still very much a work in progress, but try some of the 4- or 5-star routes I've got on my master 13er spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing. Date will dictate snow or dry conditions. Some are snow routes and scrambles. :)
Impressive compilation!
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Dobsons »

I second a lot of these.

The Gore letter link ups are a scramblers paradise and I joined Brent on several of the ones he already listed.
Monitor, 13, Animas has been mentioned. That link up in the heart of the weminuche is way up there for me in terms of favorite scrambles.
The Virginia/low 13ers link up by winfield was mentioned and a fantastic way to get 5 peaks quick and easy with just a good ol' tundra walk

A few others I would add.

Pika to Gold Dust as it's a really nice Holy Cross Wilderness scramble
In the Sangres Hermit Peak, Rito Alto, “Peak of the Clouds”, spread eagle peak was a nice day nothing difficult but really enjoyable mostly grassy sangre walk
In the Gore - Grand Traverse to Valhalla around to Snow is a great deluge lake loop with some fun scrambling especially if add palimino point
Point 13300, West Truro, Mount Truro, and pt 13090. It's not a perfect ridge run as you drop in and out of some valleys but West Truro and Truro have some scrambling
13222b, 13340A, El Punto, Heisshorn in the Middle Cimmaron. Scrambling is loose and exposed on the upper reaches of the peaks but it's a very memorable day and you click off several of the harder 13ers on many people's lists
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

supranihilest wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:16 pm So this is still very much a work in progress, but try some of the 4- or 5-star routes I've got on my master 13er spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing. Date will dictate snow or dry conditions. Some are snow routes and scrambles. :)
Oh man, this is the mother lode. You have a lot of couloirs mixed in there too. Thanks for sharing. It would take me closer to 4 lifetimes to do them all, but I'll definitely sample a few.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

I love the solid rock in the Sangres. Besides what has been mentioned, the ridge S from Adams is a lot of fun, going over the two unnamed 13ers (and one unranked one that had a small register). Another great stretch was between California and Ellingwood Pt. The ridge of EP held tremendous exposure. Closer to CA, it’s just walking, but scenic. Neither has more than class 4 scrambling, and mostly 3. Also the E-W ridge connecting Bushnell to the Twin Sisters has sone interesting features.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 195 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

Many of the best have been mentioned, but I noticed that the elks seem to have been largely excluded. Here are a couple fun ones.

Siberia Peak South Ridge Class 3. Not a traverse but stunning views with cool routefinding and solid rock.

West Maroon Pass towards Pyramid Peak. There are quite a few peaks to hit, fun 4th class, and several bail points if you don’t want to do the entire ridge.

I have not done these but the Hilliard, Keefe, and Hunter are supposed to be good.

On a different note, any variation on the Walk in the Park in RMNP is a blast. The section from McHeney’s to Pagoda is great for mere mortals (who can’t do the whole thing in a single day, myself included), although a short rope would be good on Pagoda’s Slab. Add Mt. Alice for extra fun.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage