FKT site, and/or Record Keepers

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: FKT site, and/or Record Keepers

Post by John Prater »

blazintoes wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:05 pm And Ralston was the first to solo in 2005 sans skis
Aron did use skis for some of them.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Bean wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:21 pm
blazintoes wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 am Also now that we know skis are faster than snowshoes will we have separate categories?
We already do.

Category 1: people who use skis to set the winter 14er FKT
Category 2: people who don't have the winter 14er FKT
People didn't already know that? That's like saying "Now that we know jet airplanes are faster than a horse and buggy..." Old snowshoes look neat above a fireplace mantel. New ones look neat gathering dust in a long lost corner of someone's garage. That's about it when it comes to slowshoes.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

d_baker wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:45 pm
Bean wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:21 pm
blazintoes wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:55 am Also now that we know skis are faster than snowshoes will we have separate categories?
We already do.

Category 1: people who use skis to set the winter 14er FKT
Category 2: people who don't have the winter 14er FKT
Coming from you, this is not surprising.

The previous winter 14er FKT person did the majority on snowshoes, and limited success/efficiency on skiis (due to lack of experience there).
Then, he helped/accompanied the new winter 14er FKT person.
Either way, both accomplished something pretty damn impressive! Both seemed to have used Snowshoes too!
And which category does the person you're speaking of land in?

blazintoes wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:05 pmHe's also the reason we do 59.
North Massive is not, never has been, and never will be a 14er.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

justiner wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:31 pm https://fastestknowntime.com/team
I wonder how many of these are paid staff after the buyout?
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Most likely it was me who accepted that Pikes Peak thing. I don't recall the circs, but I must have been feeling generous that day as it obviously does not meet the Guidelines for an FKT route. Is there some subjectivity in this stuff? For sure. But no, I would never have rejected a properly executed and verified FKT because the person was a jerk. People wanted us to ax historical FKTs from (pro) athletes who later tested positive for doping. But, I would not do that. IMO, doping is perfectly legal in FKTs. There is no way we could ever have tested anyone (much less everyone), and you can't have a rule that is impossible to enforce. I did once remove a pre-GPS FKT after the athlete was found to have cheated in other events. Anyway, it's up to someone else now, thank goodness!
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 amIf someone is a jerk and not well liked, should a committee have the right to remove someone's name and stats from the record books?

I say no. Facts are facts, stats are stats.

You don't have to be likable to get a record
As we Packer fans have become painfully aware of with Aaron Rodgers. Lol
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

JROSKA wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:55 am
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:27 amIf someone is a jerk and not well liked, should a committee have the right to remove someone's name and stats from the record books?

I say no. Facts are facts, stats are stats.

You don't have to be likable to get a record
As we Packer fans have become painfully aware of with Aaron Rodgers. Lol
Haha, you don't even have to be likable to be liked - see Rodgers, Aaron.
JROSKA
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

I looked at a few FKT sites and the rules in general seem pretty vague. The way most of the rules are worded it almost seems like “just make a gentleman’s agreement with the current record holder about what you’re attempting to do”. Seems like in that respect, they basically pass the buck onto the previous record holder and the current record chaser to shake hands, wish each other well and agree on the results. Kind of like two buddies playing a round of golf with a lunch / dinner at stake. The rules / governing board for FKT seem very unofficial to me.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

JROSKA wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:54 pm I looked at a few FKT sites and the rules in general seem pretty vague. The way most of the rules are worded it almost seems like “just make a gentleman’s agreement with the current record holder about what you’re attempting to do”. Seems like in that respect, they basically pass the buck onto the previous record holder and the current record chaser to shake hands, wish each other well and agree on the results. Kind of like two buddies playing a round of golf with a lunch / dinner at stake. The rules / governing board for FKT seem very unofficial to me.
Seems in most cases that if the dude, including lady dudes, who hold the current record are good with the attempter’s method and effort, then so should the rest of us. There may exceptions, but generally the dude’s rules is the dude’s rule.
JROSKA
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

greenonion wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:18 pmSeems in most cases that if the dude, including lady dudes, who hold the current record are good with the attempter’s method and effort, then so should the rest of us.
Yes I agree with that. With these FKT times we aren’t exactly discussing “All time leading NBA scorer” or “Olympic Gold Medalist”. Even the “K” (Known) in FKT implies there may be an unknown record out there and thus, everything is unofficial.

So I can see where any rules committee would take the attitude of, work this out amongst yourselves (to the competitors), don’t have us be the arbiter. Otherwise it would turn into a bunch of people complaining, “I had the better time going up the Willis Tower in Chicago but I think that other guy may have cheated, can you look into it”. Refereeing stuff like that is about as thankless and pointless as it gets. Kind of like being a fantasy football commissioner. Lol
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

FKT is subjective. It means nothing. But for how long?
All these "records " are little more than ego gratification endeavors. Whatever. None of them count for anything. Until someone sets the rules and regulations, appoints judges, and actually times, tracks, and records these events as a competition they are nothing more than hoorahs.

But I said for how long? Lots of sports and competitions started out as just fun games. Lacrosse, baseball, basketball. Its possible the future annual summer 14er race gets named after someone who started it all! Life and boredom have a way of turning everything into a competition. Look at pickleball now, tetos!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

mtree wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:39 am FKT is subjective. It means nothing. But for how long?
All these "records " are little more than ego gratification endeavors. Whatever. None of them count for anything. Until someone sets the rules and regulations, appoints judges, and actually times, tracks, and records these events as a competition they are nothing more than hoorahs.

But I said for how long? Lots of sports and competitions started out as just fun games. Lacrosse, baseball, basketball. Its possible the future annual summer 14er race gets named after someone who started it all! Life and boredom have a way of turning everything into a competition. Look at pickleball now, tetos!
The fact that he did what he did, with or without a set of rigid rules, is pretty noteworthy if you ask me. Same for Andrew a few years ago, Dan and Andrea, others. It's just above and beyond what most of us could even dream about. Rules, whatever.