Hiking Dog Books

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
overthe59hill
14ers: 16 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (30)

Hiking Dog Books

Post by overthe59hill »

I didn't see a thread about published hiking dog books. I read one recently and am currently in the middle of a second one. I thought I would share information about them for those who enjoy reading about dogs that have done some amazing hiking. I hope readers will tell us in this forum about other hiking dog books they have read.

The first one is titled, "The Dog Who Took Me Up a Mountain" by Rick Crandall. It is about a man who started hiking the Colorado 14ers at age 64, and finished all 58 of them. The little Australian Terrier went along on 16 of them. He doesn't go into detail about each climb, but does tell about the dog for the first few chapters before he began hiking. Of course, he does go into the adventures he had on the 14ers with his dog.

LINK:
https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Who-Took-Mou ... ces&sr=1-1[/b]

I wrote a review for it:
5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable!
I have summited 15 fourteeners myself so far, so I was familiar with many of the peaks and routes described in the book. My first 14er summit was at age 17, then I started my own quest of Colorado's 14ers at age 58. I'm 67 now and have several more to do. I have taken a couple of my dogs up some of them as well. I wish I could have met Emme. This book gives me encouragement. It was extremely well-written. Congratulations, Rick!

The second book, that I haven't finished yet, is titled, "Following Atticus" by Tom Ryan. He and his dog climbed all 48 of the 4,000' and higher peaks in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The climbs are probably just as challenging as our 14ers. Atticus is a Miniature Schnauzer. He also begins his book with a few chapters introducing us to the dog and what motivated him to climb all of the peaks in only 11 weeks!

LINK:
https://www.amazon.com/Following-Atticu ... 124&sr=8-1

I have a couple of dogs, but don't usually take them on the 14ers. They hike locally with me - a lot! When I am not hiking I am usually reading. HAPPY READING!
Attachments
51ZV8eWMdlL._SY346_.jpg
51ZV8eWMdlL._SY346_.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
41x4gfmx41L._SY346_.jpg
41x4gfmx41L._SY346_.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
"Unfortunately, the mountains had a way of dealing with overconfidence."
Laura M. Clark, in Wild Wanderer: Soloing Colorado's 200 Highest Peaks
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking Dog Books

Post by two lunches »

big fan of reading in my tent, just ordered The Dog Who Took Me Up a Mountain (thank you!) here's a few additional dog-related titles for your library
  • and a classic that absolutely belongs on this list: The Call of the Wild by Jack London https://www.amazon.com/Call-Wild-Jack-L ... 151239582X the movie for this one, in my opinion, does actually hold up to the quality of the book but as i'm sure a lot of you bibliophiles know, there's nothing like holding text in your hand and letting your imagination run wild
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
overthe59hill
Trip Reports (30)

Post by overthe59hill »

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad you ordered the book about Emme. You'll enjoy it. I have read all three of those you listed. Two of them in the past, and "Travels" just this year!
Paula
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paula »

This one is on my list to read soon, so I can't totally vouch for how well it's written yet. I very much appreciate that there's multiple editions for different ages and will grab the novel for myself and the picture book for our tiny hiker.

https://www.findinggobi.com/
justiner wrote:^^^ This person foods.
overthe59hill
Trip Reports (30)

Post by overthe59hill »

Aww, that pooch looks so sweet! And you found another fun book!
Tpetersen100
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tpetersen100 »

You are my people! Tina