Suggestions for training hikes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
msujay2012
Trip Reports (0)

Suggestions for training hikes

Post by msujay2012 »

I am scheduled to climb Mount Rainier via DC/Muir in late June and will be in Breckenridge the first full week of June for some final training. My program calls for two training hikes, each lasting 3-4 hours and climbing 2,500+ feet. What would be some good 13'ers (assuming too early for 14'ers) to climb that week? Again, I'm basing in Breckenridge and would like to be to a trailhead within 30 minutes, if possible. I'm more focused on elevation gain per mile then technical skills, etc. So Class 1 or 2 would work.

I did Huron Peak via the Northwest Slopes last summer and that was pretty brutal. I will be prepared gear wise with crampons, microspikes and/or snowshoes, as well as most of my Rainier clothing kit (training calls for 30 pound pack).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Suggestions for training hikes

Post by Ptglhs »

If you're climbing Rainier then you should do 14ers. You will need the experience with snow and ice travel. If you can't handle a 1413er in early June you've got no business being on rainier.

Anything in the 10 mile range will get your minimum but may be too long:
Pacific' s West ridge
Atlantic
DeCaLiBross
Quandary (shuttle system reservation is awful)

If you don't want to do something that long then just hike up for 2 and 1/2 hours and then turn around and hike down for an hour to an hour and a half.
msujay2012
Trip Reports (0)

Post by msujay2012 »

Thanks! Should have been more clear. I've been on Rainier twice and have climbed several peaks above 15k in Ecuador, so I'm comfortable with snow travel, techniques, etc. Since I'm flying solo for my training, I thought it would be prudent to focus more on slope/grade to get my 2500+ feet training climbs in versus working on snow skills.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

13er vs. 14er doesn't really matter. There some good 10ers out of COS that fit your parameters. People train for Rainer out east on 4K' peaks and are successful all the time. Since you'll be based in Breckenridge, Quandary is still an excellent option, except keep an eye on when the parking circus starts. It is super crowded in summer I hear (but for good reason). I did it in October, was not bad then. Excellent workout hike. Silverheels or Red Mountain across the street would be another good one but with a fraction of the crowds. Crystal Peak (via Mohawk Lakes) and Peak 10 just south of Breckenridge and north of Hoosier pass. There are tons elsewhere in the state. West Spanish peak comes to mind if you don't want to deal with snow on your training hike. I mention that because it is a long slog, like Rainier. But a long way from Breckenridge.
Best Regards
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Quandary... twice.
If you want to avoid the shuttle, Grays and Torreys. Twice.
A jaunt out to Grizzly D and back over to Snitkau is easily as tough as Gray's and Torreys. Lots of time about 12,000 ft. Not a bad option either.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

If you do Greys & Torreys, consider parking at the lower trailhead and walking from there. Parking at the summer trailhead is a shitshow, and the road is getting extremely beat up.
mark
MtnResident
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnResident »

Mt. Silverheels
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

msujay2012 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:10 pm Thanks! Should have been more clear. I've been on Rainier twice and have climbed several peaks above 15k in Ecuador, so I'm comfortable with snow travel, techniques, etc. Since I'm flying solo for my training, I thought it would be prudent to focus more on slope/grade to get my 2500+ feet training climbs in versus working on snow skills.
Sorry if I was condescending.

I'd look at Hoosier Ridge with the reds tacked on. I don't think you'd be able to do it in 4 hours, it took me all day. But you are above 12,000 ft for almost the entirety of your hike, it's a reasonable amount of up down, you get to tag two and a half 13ers, and the views are beautiful.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

the montezuma slam might fit the bill- tip top, morgan, santa fe, geneva, landslide and back. 5 peaks, 3000ft, mostly above treeline
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

MtnResident wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:47 am Mt. Silverheels
This is also my recommendation, here are the stats on it. 3,600 vertical and 8.75 miles round trip. You will also not have any problems with parking like you would at Quandary.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3455640146
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

This is on my "to do" list, looks to fit your parameters well : https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=hele1
Best Regards
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

If all you’re looking for is a high altitude workout you can do Peak 10 hiking a road up through the Breck ski area. 2,300 vert but you can add more by parking lower.

https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=pk101&type=13ers
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood