Adding Gannet Peak to Wind River High Route

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Adding Gannet Peak to Wind River High Route

Post by Ptglhs »

severe_case_of_foot wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:53 pm So given all this info, is there an optimal time (week or day of week) when I'd be most likely to run into climbers?
2nd week of July most likely, then 1st, then 3rd. People head up all summer, but the snow bridges are usually intact until the later part of July. Day of week doesn't matter as much. Gannett isn't a weekend adventure. It's a multi day affair. I could see weekends being slightly more popular; someone takes Wed to Wed off: drives up Wed, hikes in Thurs/Fri, climbs Sat or Sun, Hikes out Mon/Tues, drives home Wed. I summited on a Sat because I was with a 9-5er.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

I've been up the Gooseneck Glacier route twice at the end of July. Once there was a snow bridge crossing the berg, and once the berg was barely opened and we just stepped across it. Didn't use a rope either time. Ice axe and crampons highly recommended.
SummitRidge-Mark.JPG
SummitRidge-Mark.JPG (200.31 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
Mark-Tyler-Gooseneck.JPG
Mark-Tyler-Gooseneck.JPG (189.76 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
bdreese2
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdreese2 »

I was wondering if you have or still plan to do Gannett? How were the conditions? Hope you had or are having an awesome trip.