Thoughts on Decalibron

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Thoughts on Decalibron

Post by Ptglhs »

If you're trying to do all four then I would start with democrat. The reason is because the Democrat Cameron saddle is quite a bit lower than anything you'll find on the other three. Once you get to the top of Cameron it's really not much more effort, probably only five or 600 vertical feet, to get both Lincoln and bross. If you do Bross, Lincoln, then Cameron, you run the risk of being too tired when you hit the Democrat camera and saddle to want to grind out another 1300 feet of vertical gain.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Having done this group several times... and having gone both ways...

Start with BROSS...
The first half of the trail is pretty good, but not as good as Dem. Lots of small rocks on the trail, and obvious erosion issues.
Once you cross the gulley, it's a mess of loose scree.
The benefits of starting here, you deal with this mess on fresh legs. No slipping or tripping on tired weak legs.

Also, more than likely, if starting with Bross there is a good chance you (your group) will be the only people on Bross and possibly Lincoln... depending on the day, starting time, your speed, etc.
I think this is the greatest benefit here. (Though one of the last times I did this, several people start with Bross.)

Also, Cameron is a SLOG... but also much better going down it then up it to Dem.

In between Cam and Dem you can watch people coming up and then pick your slot to go up Dem.

And I think Dem has better view than Bross, if the weather is good, you can hang out longer on Dem. without worrying about the other three peaks.

(If there is a chance you will only do one peak, go up Dem.)
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

On my way down Bross I specifically remember thinking to myself what a hellish ascent it would be. The descent off Bross is miserable, but at least doing down that screefest you can side foot slide a lot of it. I just can't fathom the misery of trying to go up it.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Will_E wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:50 pm Been up in all 4 seasons, each time I went Dem-Cam-Lin-Bro-Cam, and back. I think the loop is too short otherwise, I’ve yet to descend Bross.
That's my favorite way to do it, too. I think I've done the set seven times, descended Bross three times and regretted it each time (slow learner).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Ryan987
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ryan987 »

I went up Bross and down democrat and HIGHLY reccomend it! Going up Bross was a piece of cake. I was very surprised since I was expecting the worst but it must be for going down. Be warned there is one slightly scary steep spot in the dark but that's it. I started at 5 AM and it was amazing seeing the line of headlights making the pilgrimage up democrat while you're the only one on the other side! Pretty surreal sight. Was alone all the way until Lincoln peak and the crowds started at the saddle between Democrat and Cameron so it was a good day
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

I went up Bross and I didn’t think it was that bad. Yes there is plenty of scree but certainly manageable. I honestly thought it would be more annoying sliding down some of the steeper sections. I had a late start, and after passing everyone that was going down Bross, I had the rest of the loop to myself, except for the surprised couple that was engaging in relations on the summit of Lincoln. The worst part about going down Democrat was the large goat laying down right next to the trail that wouldn’t move.