Touring Binding Risers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Touring Binding Risers

Post by SnowAlien »

dubsho3000 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:39 pm
SnowAlien wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 am Superlites have a very low rise, unfortunately, my main beef with them. Marker Alpinists are pretty low too. I haven't had Speed Rads in many years, but the high heel riser was awesome! Talk to SkimoCo guys in Utah, they usually have some wild aftermarket solutions like shims, etc.
Ever have any trouble stepping out of the pins on the Superlites? That's what led me to consider replacing them. I stepped out 3 times on a tour recently. I didn't see any ice that might have caused the issue, and Cripple Creek didn't notice any problems with them or my boots. We were in low angle terrain, so it wasn't a big deal, but it makes me worried for more consequential terrain in the spring. I got leashes and I'm going to see if I run into the issue again.
Only had such issues after stepping into creeks and such on winter camping trips. Had to clear out the ice from the bindings and boots with the whippet.
Otherwise, I haven't had that problem with normal use (knock on wood) and I've skied on them since 2019, using 3 different pairs of boots in the process. Even ski them at the resorts on occasion, jumping off stuff and they have been fine.

As for PT, I liked Panorama Orthopedics in Golden, no specific PT, as they all seemed to be knowledgeable.
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Touring Binding Risers

Post by spoony »

dubsho3000 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:39 pm
SnowAlien wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 am Superlites have a very low rise, unfortunately, my main beef with them. Marker Alpinists are pretty low too. I haven't had Speed Rads in many years, but the high heel riser was awesome! Talk to SkimoCo guys in Utah, they usually have some wild aftermarket solutions like shims, etc.
Ever have any trouble stepping out of the pins on the Superlites? That's what led me to consider replacing them. I stepped out 3 times on a tour recently. I didn't see any ice that might have caused the issue, and Cripple Creek didn't notice any problems with them or my boots. We were in low angle terrain, so it wasn't a big deal, but it makes me worried for more consequential terrain in the spring. I got leashes and I'm going to see if I run into the issue again.
Never had the Superlites, so cannot comment there, but I did have similar issues with older an Speed Turn toe piece and Atomic Backland Carbon boots. I stepped out a few times when I would make a kick turn. I never noticed any ice build up or other issues, but it looked like the toe welt was bumping on the bottom of the binding toe piece and pushing the boot up and the pins open. Super weird since the toe welt on the Backlands was pretty small and I could not replicate the issue in the garage. I added leashes after chasing a ski for about 200 yards downhill after one such incident and eventually ditched the Speed Turns.