Touring Binding Risers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Touring Binding Risers

Post by dubsho3000 »

I'm looking for some touring bindings with maximum heel rise. I have limited range of motion in my ankle and I find a good riser is really helpful for me. I am considering replacing my Dynafit Superlite 2.0 with Dynafit Radicals. Wondering if anyone has any other recommendations. Cripple Creek BC suggested ATK Raiders originally, but we measured the rise on them and the Radicals and the Radicals have an extra half inch of rise.

Thanks, Matt
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Touring Binding Risers

Post by Jorts »

I have speed radicals and hagan core 12s... the radicals feel a little higher. If you do a deep dive on maximum heel rise you should publish your findings.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Have you already tried heel shims in your boots?
Make wilderness less accessible.
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

I have not measured, but my older Radicals and Speed Turns felt higher than my current ATK Haute Routes and Black Diamond Helios. Like, noticeably higher.

Adding heel shims in your boot would alter your skiing and walking stance, so I would not suggest that (unless you want to alter your stance).
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Vipecs. It's a better binding on so many levels anyway.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Superlites have a very low rise, unfortunately, my main beef with them. Marker Alpinists are pretty low too. I haven't had Speed Rads in many years, but the high heel riser was awesome! Talk to SkimoCo guys in Utah, they usually have some wild aftermarket solutions like shims, etc.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

A very wise man once said:
A wise man wrote:High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
Prove me wrong.
Sounds like you may be one of the people who should be using bindings with a high riser. Radicals and ATKs (a couple of them) come to mind. Anything you can do to improve your ankle mobility? That can be very difficult to improve as an adult.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Splitboard bindings have super high risers, just saying.

This article (https://skimo.co/binding-riser-heights) is a few years old but has good info. The DF Speed Turns and Radicals have the highest out of the bunch. What's the cause of the ankle mobility restrictions? Is it possible you could see a PT or chiro and get that figured out? I'm a PT and there are manipulations that can be done to improve joint mobility in addition to a lot of stretching the muscles out on your own. It can be hard to improve if it's been stiff for a long while but its possible unless its totally fused.
dubsho3000
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

aholle88 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:04 pm Splitboard bindings have super high risers, just saying.

This article (https://skimo.co/binding-riser-heights) is a few years old but has good info. The DF Speed Turns and Radicals have the highest out of the bunch. What's the cause of the ankle mobility restrictions? Is it possible you could see a PT or chiro and get that figured out? I'm a PT and there are manipulations that can be done to improve joint mobility in addition to a lot of stretching the muscles out on your own. It can be hard to improve if it's been stiff for a long while but its possible unless its totally fused.
Splitboard... yuck. I've spent too much time waiting for splitboarders on rolling out-tracks to even consider it :-D

I don't know how much I can do to improve my ankle mobility, but I am certainly working on it. I broke my talus 10 years ago and it has been a struggle ever since. Right now is the worst it has been. BUT, I recently forced myself to do some squats and some yoga, which was painful, but really seems to be helping. The various warrior poses and other standing balancing poses really got things moving. I have a PT appointment this weekend but my success with PTs on this issues has be zilch. I've seen 3 different PTs but I'm going to throw myself at it again. Then in March I'm going to see if there are any surgical solutions. Trying to get as much improvement through PT and my own work in hopes of avoiding surgery.

I have never seen a chiro for this but my best PT suggested looking into that, when he reached his limit sticking dry needles in my lack-of-calf. Any recommendations in the Denver area?

And thank you for the link - I'll dig into that and post a report like Jorts suggested (just kidding, I'm lazy)
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Matt, I sent you a PM with a recommendation for a PT in the Denver area.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
dubsho3000
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

gb wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:32 am Vipecs. It's a better binding on so many levels anyway.
Interesting suggestion. They are not listed on the Skimo article Aholle88 posted. I found a review here for anyone else who might be interested:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... pec-evo-12
dubsho3000
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

SnowAlien wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 am Superlites have a very low rise, unfortunately, my main beef with them. Marker Alpinists are pretty low too. I haven't had Speed Rads in many years, but the high heel riser was awesome! Talk to SkimoCo guys in Utah, they usually have some wild aftermarket solutions like shims, etc.
Ever have any trouble stepping out of the pins on the Superlites? That's what led me to consider replacing them. I stepped out 3 times on a tour recently. I didn't see any ice that might have caused the issue, and Cripple Creek didn't notice any problems with them or my boots. We were in low angle terrain, so it wasn't a big deal, but it makes me worried for more consequential terrain in the spring. I got leashes and I'm going to see if I run into the issue again.