Thoughts on Decalibron

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sharpet89
Trip Reports (0)

Thoughts on Decalibron

Post by sharpet89 »

Hello I was wondering about which route people prefer when doing the decalibron. Start with Bross and finish with Democrat and vice a versa. Let me know I’m trying to decide for when I go in July.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Thoughts on Decalibron

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Personally, I thought that going down Bross was a slog. I cannot imagine going up, but I've heard that people do it.
Hiking when possible
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

Finish with Bross. The trail on Bross is a mess of scree, so it's easier to go down than up. Going up that would be an exhausting effort.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

My 3 best reasons for going "clockwise" starting with Democrat are that the name goes in natural order; the informal Kite Lake Triple race always went that direction; and while many people dislike Bross in either direction, some people say going down it is kind of fun (I'm in that camp) but nobody says that going up Bross is particularly fun.
Have fun!
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

I am one of the poor souls who decided to go counterclockwise and start with Bross. Our reasoning at the time was that it isn't fun either way, so we might as well get it over with while we were fresh and enthusiastic. It did have some advantages:

Everyone else started with Democrat so no one above you to kick scree down. Got to enjoy a great sunrise. Didn't run into anyone until almost Lincoln.

Bross certainly wasn't fun, but I don't remember it being particularly terrible. These were also some of my first fourteeners so take that with a grain of salt. I was thrilled to be up on any mountain! Still thrilled to be up on any mountain, but I learned quickly that some are much more enjoyable than others.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

When I did it in the summer I did Democrat 1st and when I did it in the winter I did Bross 1st. Not sure it really makes much difference, it is one the easiest 14er summit group.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

Hiking_TheRockies wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:46 pm Personally, I thought that going down Bross was a slog. I cannot imagine going up, but I've heard that people do it.
Thought the exact same thing when I did the Decalibron.
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Hiked up Bross and I've come it a few times. I agree with Ben. Go down it (clockwise) in the summer.
In winter, it's actually pretty good going up IF that west-facing gully is holding snow.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:41 pm When I did it in the summer I did Democrat 1st and when I did it in the winter I did Bross 1st. Not sure it really makes much difference, it is one the easiest 14er summit group.
this makes the most sense so far in this thread.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Violet
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Violet »

I started from Bross ( early July ), then Cameron and Lincoln while black clouds moved in. Then I ran along the ridge towards Mt. Democrats and ran down in the hails from the saddle to trailhead. I came back and finished Democrats the following week. I didn’t feel any problems hiking up to the peak of Bross anyway. Only a short part before the peak of Bross was kind of steep. I feel the boots u wear matter. I was wearing Salomon hiking boots.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Been up in all 4 seasons, each time I went Dem-Cam-Lin-Bro-Cam, and back. I think the loop is too short otherwise, I’ve yet to descend Bross.