Routes with 10k vertical

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CO_Wolfe
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Routes with 10k vertical

Post by CO_Wolfe »

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else, but I'm curious if there are any recommended routes with at least 10k vertical that are doable in a day. I've done 7 or 8k in 24 hours (4 pass loop), but would like to get to 5 digits. Is there something more fun than "climb Quandary 3 times" and easier than "just do Nolans"? Thanks!
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Routes with 10k vertical

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Cactus to Clouds on San Jacinto, Telescope Peak via Shortys Well, and Haleakala sea to summit come to mind. I've also heard of a route up White Mountain Peak in CA fits the bill...Mauna Kea from sea level and Mt. Williamson in CA might not be feasible in a single day for most. Presi Traverse in NH comes close but I think is about 9k.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

ChrisinAZ wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:35 am Cactus to Clouds on San Jacinto, Telescope Peak via Shortys Well, and Haleakala sea to summit come to mind. I've also heard of a route up White Mountain Peak in CA fits the bill...Mauna Kea from sea level and Mt. Williamson in CA might not be feasible in a single day for most. Presi Traverse in NH comes close but I think is about 9k.
Yes as ChrisinAz says, White mountain in California from the west is over 10,000ft vertical gain. You can also get it on Mount Whitney (possibly also Mount Shasta) but you'd have to start way down the road on both which I don't think would be safely doable in one day. Mount Fuji in Japan has the famous pilgrim route which has over 10, 000ft vertical gain from the base.

Mt Rainier starting at Paradise is about 9, 000ft gain so you could camp a thousand feet below and do that but again that's a pretty tough day given the terrain up higher. In the Northeast either in New York or New Hampshire you could string together a few peaks to hit that but you're approaching what's feasible in one day and you really need dry weather to do it.

I'm wondering if you start at either South colony lakes or Willow Lake trailhead and combined the 14ers and a couple 13ers if you could get 10k vert?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

CO_Wolfe wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:39 am . Is there something more fun than "climb Quandary 3 times" and easier than "just do Nolans"? Thanks!
dd0.jpg
dd0.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 656 times
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Here is an 8 peak day we did in October, 26 miles and 10,764 vertical feet. It was a long day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7933788622
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'm guessing OP is looking primarily for recommendations in Colorado.

It would be good to know what kind of mileage you're willing to suffer to hit the vert goal, also are car shuttles or parking creativity allowed? How much scrambling/climbing.

The "A Walk in the Park" route in RMNP get's close to 10k but is a lot of scrambling and climbing. Another option would be to do a portion of the Hardrock route, that hits >33k vert in 100 miles. Otherwise, get GAIA gps and start drawing routes until you get the vert you want, but this is CO, so it will require >20 miles.
Make wilderness less accessible.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim. Depends on what trail you use on the south rim side, but either way you will gain over 10,000’ in approx. 48 miles.
Doing14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Doing14ers »

Incline 5 times
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Chicago Basin 14ers from Purgatory.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Elbert and Massive in a day will get you close. The Halfmoon Halfpipe. If you make it a really big day, you'll get it. East Ridge of Massive and Southeast Ridge of Elbert.

How about the Tenmile Traverse with a Baldy or Quandary at the end?

If you run from Greeley (or maybe even Loveland or Longmont) to Longs...???...but this is ridiculous.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
vertical_volume
14ers: 55  1  1 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vertical_volume »

Mt Evans Egis, Out and back of the boulder skyline traverse, Huron, Belford, Oxford, Missouri. Massive/N Massive/Massive Green/S Massive and Elbert should be close, if not just past the mark and if it isn't you can add on Bull Hill and if that still isn't you can add on Casco and French. lots of loops in the Sangres can net you lots of gain. Mosquito Range traverse from weston pass to the peak just south of Wheeler... the name escapes me currently. Looking at the interactive map on this website and finding peaks close together and drawing routes/reading trip reports on what goes and doesn't go is always fun and rewarding as well. Lots of vert to be had in colorado!
Runnin around - Rob_e179
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

nyker wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:08 am

Yes as ChrisinAz says, White mountain in California from the west is over 10,000ft vertical gain. You can also get it on Mount Whitney (possibly also Mount Shasta) but you'd have to start way down the road on both which I don't think would be safely doable in one day. Mount Fuji in Japan has the famous pilgrim route which has over 10, 000ft vertical gain from the base.

Mt Rainier starting at Paradise is about 9, 000ft gain so you could camp a thousand feet below and do that but again that's a pretty tough day given the terrain up higher. In the Northeast either in New York or New Hampshire you could string together a few peaks to hit that but you're approaching what's feasible in one day and you really need dry weather to do it.

I'm wondering if you start at either South colony lakes or Willow Lake trailhead and combined the 14ers and a couple 13ers if you could get 10k vert?
I did Challenger, KC, and all of the in-between 13ers from 4x4 South Colony TH, and it came in at ~8k if I remember correctly. Tacking on Humboldt to that day would get you pretty close to 10k, starting at the 2wd TH and doing Humboldt would practically guarantee it.
I thought, I taught, I wrought