Rio Grande Pyramid route description

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mnsebourn
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (6)

Rio Grande Pyramid route description

Post by mnsebourn »

I have my eye on this peak for June or July. I’ve read the route description in Roach’s book, and I’ve perused trip reports on this site. Is there a particular trip report or resource that provides a detailed route description with some pics? I’d likely try to cover the ~20 miles in a day and don’t love the idea of getting lost.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Rio Grande Pyramid route description

Post by Scott P »

mnsebourn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:27 pm Is there a particular trip report or resource that provides a detailed route description with some pics? I’d likely try to cover the ~20 miles in a day and don’t love the idea of getting lost.
It's in these books:

https://www.amazon.com/Colorados-Thirte ... 242&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Colorados-Thirte ... 242&sr=1-2

If you click on the LoJ page, there are reports with gpx files:

https://listsofjohn.com/peak/120
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mnsebourn
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mnsebourn »

Thanks for all the info! That trip report answered a couple of my questions pretty quickly.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I did Rio Grande Pyramid last summer. Roach’s route is not the same as WildWanderer’s. Roach has you turn off the Weminuche Creek Trail onto Opal Lake Trail while WildWanderer continued on and joined up with the CDT. I turned onto the Opal Lake Trail, which was extremely difficult to find in the dark. After summiting Rio Grande Pyramid, I went over to the Window, then returned via the CDT. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll try to answer them.
Century Bound, eventually.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

A friend and I did the CDT approach in 2021 as a short overnight. No real issues following the trail, unlike many stories of the Opal Lake/Skyline/whatever-we're-calling-it-this-month route. Just don't turn slightly left/cross at the start of the open valley, the CDT stays on the right side of the lower valley (roughly photo18 on the WW TR). I think Skyline/Opal Lake is a little shorter mileage-wise, but only maybe ~1mi each way? We found a more efficient route through the willows, barely had to bash any: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=21503. Once at the base of the summit cone, the route was pretty visually obvious. More solid rock just to the left of the gully everyone ascends.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

madmattd wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:15 am A friend and I did the CDT approach in 2021 as a short overnight. No real issues following the trail, unlike many stories of the Opal Lake/Skyline/whatever-we're-calling-it-this-month route. Just don't turn slightly left/cross at the start of the open valley, the CDT stays on the right side of the lower valley (roughly photo18 on the WW TR). I think Skyline/Opal Lake is a little shorter mileage-wise, but only maybe ~1mi each way? We found a more efficient route through the willows, barely had to bash any: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=21503. Once at the base of the summit cone, the route was pretty visually obvious. More solid rock just to the left of the gully everyone ascends.
I did the skyline trail around this time. The skyline/opal lake turnoff was pretty easy to find. It was a cairned veer slightly to the right at the start of an open meadow ~100 feet after a creek crossing. The trail wasn't hard to find (other than one short section) and I remember no bushwhacking at all in the willows. Pretty sure there was a very followable trail all the way through. Also, the trail seemed to be at that magic grade for much of it that you barely feel like you're going uphill so you can absolutely fly. Climbs waaaaaay faster than the mileage would suggest, at least on approach
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

The Hiking Project has a GPX for the Skyline/Opal Lake Tr: https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/705 ... -trail-714
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:40 amI did the skyline trail around this time. The skyline/opal lake turnoff was pretty easy to find. It was a cairned veer slightly to the right at the start of an open meadow ~100 feet after a creek crossing. The trail wasn't hard to find (other than one short section) and I remember no bushwhacking at all in the willows. Pretty sure there was a very followable trail all the way through. Also, the trail seemed to be at that magic grade for much of it that you barely feel like you're going uphill so you can absolutely fly. Climbs waaaaaay faster than the mileage would suggest, at least on approach
Good to know. We saw the junction, pretty clear just after the stream crossing at the height-of-land as you said. But we'd heard stories of blowdown hell (awesome to hear that seems to have been cleared out) and were planning to camp anyway, so we didn't venture that way. The CDT in there is pretty cruiser overall but does have some notable climbs, especially between where we camped and treeline.

I need to return someday to play on some of the other peaks in the area, but RGP was awesome!
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

I've been up the Opal Lake trail (partway) and down the CDT on one trip, and up and down the CDT on another. While my friend and I did find a trail on the first trip we don't think it was the actual trail since it didn't line up with maps or the GPX we had. The bushwhacking up there wasn't too bad. Regardless the CDT was super obvious and cruiser and is probably the better choice for a more mindless approach even if it's a little longer. In good weather it'd be pretty difficult to get lost following the Weminuche trail to the CDT to RGP.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

I did the Skyline trail up and back last summer. A slight bit difficult to pin down the trail in the dark, but it's in an obvious open area at a cairn just after a creek as mentioned, you'll find it. Trail itself was easy to follow, save for one area of blowdown, but the direction is obvious. Zero willow bashing, trail maneuvered extremely easily through them. I'd recommend it for sure.