Avalanche danger for these RMNP hikes?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Avalanche danger for these RMNP hikes?

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks everyone again for your feedback; I now have some new reading material added to my book list. One more question: it sounds like most of those hikes are a no-go in the winter; at what point in the year do they become safe? For some of them, do you need to wait until all the snow is gone, or is there a point in the season when the snow is consolidated enough to be safe from an avy perspective?
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

rdp32 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:05 pm
DaveLanders wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:52 pm It is possible to descend from Lk Helene to Odessa, but I wouldn't use the summer trail to do so. Instead it is better to go more directly from the north side of Lk Helene.
That makes sense. Once you get to Odessa, is it avy safe the rest of the way to the Fern Lake TH? (I like the idea of a 1-way trip from Bear Lake to Fern Lake in the winter, enabled by a car/bike shuttle)
The area from Odessa on down should be safe. The winter route from Odessa to Fern Lk used to just follow the creek instead of using the summer trail. However the East Troublesome fire burned some of that, so I don't know if it is still passable due to possible downed trees.

Doing these hikes in the spring while there is still snow is definitely possible, and often done. The avalanche hazard will be less, but you may still have to worry about wet slides depending on the weather that day, whether or not it froze the night before, etc.

Reading about all of this on the internet is better than nothing, but it's not a substitute for going with more experienced people, either as a formal class, or with friends acting as mentors, so you can get an understanding of their decision making process.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

rdp32 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:09 pm Thanks everyone again for your feedback; I now have some new reading material added to my book list. One more question: it sounds like most of those hikes are a no-go in the winter; at what point in the year do they become safe? For some of them, do you need to wait until all the snow is gone, or is there a point in the season when the snow is consolidated enough to be safe from an avy perspective?
The snow field above Peacock Pool on the way to Chasm lake can often be safe. It's the right slope angle but gets blown into a low-energy pencil-hard slab pretty quickly. Again, knowing how to assess danger is pretty important. I'd bet my lunch that 75% of the brojangles climbers heading up there don't bother to assess safety, other than poking it with an ice tool a few times, and just follow the boot prints across. So, given the prime slide terrain combined with high usage but relatively small number of people caught in avys, speaks somewhat to it's safety.

Again, knowing how to assess it is still key.
Make wilderness less accessible.
NovaDevi25
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NovaDevi25 »

Black Lake is a popular snowshoeing trip, been up myself. The Tarn can be good also. Chasm on the other hand is very well-known to have avalanche danger due to the slope angle on Lady Washington.
"The effort yields its own rewards." - Commander Data

“It is only when I return to life below that I feel the world’s weight in my shoulders.” - Anatoli Boukreev

"Why climb [everest]? Because it is there." - Mallory
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The snow slope before Chasm is currently very stable, with a good boot pack.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Dave B wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:34 am
rdp32 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:09 pm Thanks everyone again for your feedback; I now have some new reading material added to my book list. One more question: it sounds like most of those hikes are a no-go in the winter; at what point in the year do they become safe? For some of them, do you need to wait until all the snow is gone, or is there a point in the season when the snow is consolidated enough to be safe from an avy perspective?
The snow field above Peacock Pool on the way to Chasm lake can often be safe. It's the right slope angle but gets blown into a low-energy pencil-hard slab pretty quickly. Again, knowing how to assess danger is pretty important. I'd bet my lunch that 75% of the brojangles climbers heading up there don't bother to assess safety, other than poking it with an ice tool a few times, and just follow the boot prints across. So, given the prime slide terrain combined with high usage but relatively small number of people caught in avys, speaks somewhat to it's safety.

Again, knowing how to assess it is still key.
Generally agree with you, Dave. I say "generally" because I recollect that there was a slide there in the 70's, I think (?) a couple of people were caught. But yeah, usually a hard styrofoam slab there. Fwiw, I dug a pit there once out of curiosity and it was hard all the way to the rocks, no apparent layers at all. That said, the terrain trap in the slot above Peacock Pool has always worried me, and once in maybe marginal conditions when I was solo I went up to the base of the cliffs above to bypass that section. Just an uneasy I-see-dead-people feeling.

-Tom