Early winter mountaineering in NE US

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Early winter mountaineering in NE US

Post by JaredJohnson »

lbethel wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:37 pm Yes, it is difficult to find consistent trail conditions but this might be a decent resource:
https://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/
Thanks for this link! Based on poking around some of the suggestions and the CRs on there, I think I'm gonna do Flume Slide to Liberty tomorrow morning. It seems to be crampon business, it's not long and I'm not sure if it's very technical but I've been a little under the weather anyway so if it's not the biggest challenge I won't be disappointed. Nor will I be disappointed if i turn around (:
Ryan987
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ryan987 »

I'm seconding the ADK. The winter trails up there are superb and less busy than the new Hampshire trails. Can't go wrong with any trails up there but I loved Algonquin/Wright/Iroquois in the winter
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

I did wind up doing Flume Slide Trail and it was a really fantastic technical challenge. I think in winter it's always an adventure with 1400ft of mixed rock/ice/snow in 0.7 miles. But more so this early in the season and with melty conditions from yesterday's warm temps. It was a good step up from the Lion Head on Washington, just the right amount of harrowing without being unwise (;

I do wish I'd taken the opportunity to try the ADK, Algonquin/Wright/Iroquois is going on my list!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

JaredJohnson wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:36 am I did wind up doing Flume Slide Trail and it was a really fantastic technical challenge. I think in winter it's always an adventure with 1400ft of mixed rock/ice/snow in 0.7 miles. But more so this early in the season and with melty conditions from yesterday's warm temps. It was a good step up from the Lion Head on Washington, just the right amount of harrowing without being unwise (;

I do wish I'd taken the opportunity to try the ADK, Algonquin/Wright/Iroquois is going on my list!
I stupidly did the Flume Slide trail after an early season snowstorm when I was in college. With no traction. Let's just say it's a sporty route when 3-6 inches of snow is covering ice. 😂. Glad you had a good day and proper gear.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.