Beginner - Mount Elbert in Winter

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

12/28/2022 Attempt

Poll ended at Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:10 am

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 9
Tabish23
Trip Reports (0)

Beginner - Mount Elbert in Winter

Post by Tabish23 »

Hello Team - I hoping to get some tips/suggestions regarding winter hiking here as I will be attempting Mount Elbert hike next week. I am in hiking shape and familiar with clothing,hydration etc but concerned about weather.

This is my first 14er in US and looking forward to start this fun journey. My first 14er was in Kaghan Valley, Pakistan (country of my birth)

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
the_hare
14ers: 25  21 
13ers: 21 2
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Beginner - Mount Elbert in Winter

Post by the_hare »

Hi! Looking at forecasts from Mountain forecast & NOAA, Wednesday the 28th might be a tougher day for a first CO winter 14er with the higher winds and incoming snow. The winds can rocket down the upper slopes and blowing snow might impact visibility. Monday or Tue look like pretty fair days if you could make it out that early.

I'd recommend downloading a route to your phone or printing it out, the last snow storm deposited a few inches of snow on the trail and you might need it to follow the route or find the trench. Check out some of the trip reports on here from winter, they should have pictures and more direct winter routes to follow. I'd also highly recommend snowshoes, from around treeline until you get to the rocky ridge the snow can be loose and unsupportive. I remember seeing from AllTrails last year several parties had to turn around at treeline for that reason. I'd also be prepared to park at the 2WD paved lot and walk the 4WD road, there might be too much snow over it at this point to drive on it.
the_hare
14ers: 25  21 
13ers: 21 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by the_hare »

Also check out this link too! https://www.14ers.com/winter14ers.php?p=7 The different pages here have useful info for winter 14ers and for Elbert E ridge in winter too
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Start with Mt Quandary in winter
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Tabish23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tabish23 »

Thanks for the feedback..
I guess it won’t be wise of me to go now w.r.t weather.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Tabish23 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:37 pm Thanks for the feedback..
I guess it won’t be wise of me to go now w.r.t weather.
Agreed, you'll probably enjoy the hike a lot more if you do it on a day with good weather - the mountains here in Colorado are absolutely beautiful on a clear winter day but if you go out with a storm coming in you won't be able to see the views and it can potentially be very dangerous if you get stuck in a whiteout and don't know the area. I would wait if you can.

I'd be curious once/if you do make it out how things compare to Pakistan...
Tabish23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tabish23 »

I will surely share my experience.. looking forward to my next scheduled trip to Colorado.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Agree with others that it might not be the best time to pick to climb your first 14er - however it would help if you shared your experience as to if this would be your first climb to that altitude and in snow or not. Kaghan Valley appears to have peaks over 17,000ft nearby, if you've climbed many of those in snow or winter conditions, then maybe it's completely doable for you to do Elbert in winter conditions, but only you know your experience, comfort and fitness in such conditions. I would however wait until at least a clear day without a storm both for safety and just being able to enjoy the experience. Good luck.
Tabish23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tabish23 »

I was from South and never traveled up north in winter, however, summers were challenging enough at that altitude. I was comfortable with challenging hikes at 10 to 13ers but only climbed a 14er once. Safety and planning was not ideal but I was a teenager without a care in the world.

I’ve been staying in shape hiking in Shenandoah National park for a decade now. I plan on to take on some proper challenging hikes again.

Looking forward to more trips to Colorado.