Calendar Winter Ascents

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Calendar Winter Ascents

Post by daway8 »

Dave B wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:37 pm No wonder no one likes engineers.
That's not true, the average engineer has 0.6375 friends! :lol: Occasionally I even have slightly more than that!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

daway8 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:44 pm
That's not true, the average engineer has 0.6375 friends! :lol: Occasionally I even have slightly more than that!
Lordy, lordy…
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

LOL, though gotta question sig figs here, not sure what friend measuring instrument has that kind of resolution.
Make wilderness less accessible.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

Dave B wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:14 am
LOL, though gotta question sig figs here, not sure what friend measuring instrument has that kind of resolution.
Ouch. All of you. :wink:
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Here's my belated comeback in defense of engineers in response to:
Dave B wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:37 pm Taking something visceral, wild, and experiential, and reducing it to a schedule that must be followed down to the minute is the most engineering thing ever.
Ah, but a starting point makes everything more dramatic. How many millions over the years have been put on the edge of their seats by these words:

"On your marks... Get set... GO!!!"

If instead everyone just went out and ran whenever they felt like it, that would be, well, rather lame to watch.

Or how about the visceral anticipation of the crowds gathered around a towering rocket about to burst into the sky on a bed of flames - where everyone present joins in unison saying:
"3... 2... 1... LIFTOFF!!!"

Just because you define a precise starting and ending moment on the calendar doesn't in any way detract from how wild and visceral the experiences in between will be.

It just simply says: Game On!

In fact, if you wait until 2:47pm on Wednesday December 21 before starting your hike, you might just find it to be a little extra wild and visceral of an experience as you're forced to descend in the dark...
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

daway8 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:42 pm Here's my belated comeback in defense of engineers in response to:
Dave B wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:37 pm Taking something visceral, wild, and experiential, and reducing it to a schedule that must be followed down to the minute is the most engineering thing ever.
Ah, but a starting point makes everything more dramatic. How many millions over the years have been put on the edge of their seats by these words:

"On your marks... Get set... GO!!!"

If instead everyone just went out and ran whenever they felt like it, that would be, well, rather lame to watch.

Or how about the visceral anticipation of the crowds gathered around a towering rocket about to burst into the sky on a bed of flames - where everyone present joins in unison saying:
"3... 2... 1... LIFTOFF!!!"

Just because you define a precise starting and ending moment on the calendar doesn't in any way detract from how wild and visceral the experiences in between will be.

It just simply says: Game On!

In fact, if you wait until 2:47pm on Wednesday December 21 before starting your hike, you might just find it to be a little extra wild and visceral of an experience as you're forced to descend in the dark...
Spoken like a truly engineered poet! :mrgreen:
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:34 am This would be cool except not everyone follows the same rules for checking that winter box.
Yeah. Heck, we have people who check peak boxes who turned around 1/2 a mile below the summit, or didn't even set foot on the peak.
So if it were possible to have the snowflake appear only if you entered the hike on a peak within a certain date, that would atleast weed out the folks who just think snow on ground = winter.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

RyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:05 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:34 am This would be cool except not everyone follows the same rules for checking that winter box.
Yeah. Heck, we have people who check peak boxes who turned around 1/2 a mile below the summit, or didn't even set foot on the peak.
So if it were possible to have the snowflake appear only if you entered the hike on a peak within a certain date, that would atleast weed out the folks who just think snow on ground = winter.
I hear ya!

This morning I changed the Update Checklist -> Peak page to force users to select a date that must be within calendar winter. It doesn't change what people have done in the past by just checking off the winter option but any future checklist updates will have this new functionality, even people who have previously checked "winter" and have not entered a date will now be forced to do so if they update the checklist -> peak details.

Note: For the date selection, I set "winter" from 12/21 to 3/20. I did not get it down to a time level nor have I accommodated for the occasional years when the day differs, yet.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

osprey wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:23 pm Bill:
Each peak page has the number of member ascents.
Would you consider adding to this the number of member calendar winter ascents?
Good idea, I'm working on this next...

UPDATE: Done!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:56 am
RyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:05 am
I hear ya!

This morning I changed the Update Checklist -> Peak page to force users to select a date that must be within calendar winter. It doesn't change what people have done in the past by just checking off the winter option but any future checklist updates will have this new functionality, even people who have previously checked "winter" and have not entered a date will now be forced to do so if they update the checklist -> peak details.

Note: For the date selection, I set "winter" from 12/21 to 3/20. I did not get it down to a time level nor have I accommodated for the occasional years when the day differs, yet.
That's awesome! Thank you, Bill!
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

My pleasure!

Someday I'll make the checklist update process more flexible to allow entering all details (including dates) for each individual climb.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

Thank you Bill.
Appreciation for your work in doing this.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”