Calendar Winter Ascents

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Calendar Winter Ascents

Post by osprey »

Bill:
Each peak page has the number of member ascents.
Would you consider adding to this the number of member calendar winter ascents?
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

β€œI breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Calendar Winter Ascents

Post by daway8 »

That would be a fascinating stat but I'm not sure the data can really be pulled out given how the checklists work.

You can increase the counter on your checklist to reflect the number of times you've climbed a peak but the check box for doing it in calendar winter is only available for recording your most recent hike (which is why I typically stop updating the date field for repeat climbs once I snowflake a peak).

So at best, you might be able to extract how many first winter ascents folks have done.

But maybe I'm being too picky since I'm not sure how much winter repeating goes on - though I know I have done some winter repeats and I can't be the only one who sometimes repeats the easy ones to stay conditioned when conditions aren't favorable for the harder ones.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

This is a very unique idea that I agree with. Winter is where it’s truly earned after all πŸ’ͺ🏼 great early skiing but some areas are looking prime for December ascents!
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

β€œI breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

daway8 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:46 pm the check box for doing it in calendar winter is only available for recording your most recent hike
I believe the way you're intended to use the Ski/Solo/Winter/3k options is to tick them if you've skied/soloed/calendared/actually climbed (3k) that peak, ever, regardless of the nature of your most recent ascent. This saves the database from storing a glut of entries for each user's every ascent. Of course that's not great if you want to know all the dates you summited a peak, but we have spreadsheets, journals, GPS tracks, timestamped photos, and LoJ for that. Over there you still have to tick a box for winter (I think) due to the calendar start/end cutoff times.

So if this feature were added it should tell you how many users (and who?) claim to have summited at least once in calendar winter.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Boggy B wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:01 pm
daway8 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:46 pm the check box for doing it in calendar winter is only available for recording your most recent hike
I believe the way you're intended to use the Ski/Solo/Winter/3k options is to tick them if you've skied/soloed/calendared/actually climbed (3k) that peak, ever, regardless of the nature of your most recent ascent. This saves the database from storing a glut of entries for each user's every ascent. Of course that's not great if you want to know all the dates you summited a peak, but we have spreadsheets, journals, GPS tracks, timestamped photos, and LoJ for that. Over there you still have to tick a box for winter (I think) due to the calendar start/end cutoff times.

So if this feature were added it should tell you how many users (and who?) claim to have summited at least once in calendar winter.
Yes, I get that, it's just that it doesn't seem right to have the calendar winter box checked and then update the date to something outside calendar winter - just my own pickiness... I do keep my own spreadsheet for just such issues at this.

There are a practically unlimited number of minor little tweaks like this which would be cool and a hundred different ways to implement each but, yes, having some sort of measure of which peaks get snowflaked the most would be neat - especially for 13ers.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

This would be cool except not everyone follows the same rules for checking that winter box.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:34 am This would be cool except not everyone follows the same rules for checking that winter box.
If the snowflake was keyed off the date entered automatically it would solve this
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

cougar wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:48 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:34 am This would be cool except not everyone follows the same rules for checking that winter box.
If the snowflake was keyed off the date entered automatically it would solve this
Except that with no record of past climbs it would automatically be wiped out if you updated your most recent climb date with something outside winter.

Personally, I'd love to see the ability to somehow have a log of all the climbs I've done on the site, complete with dates and such in case in decide to get into grid climbing. Right now my own personal spreadsheet is the only way to track stuff like that.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

That would require a lookup for each year's solstice dates. Doable but adds more work under the hood. But more difficultly, if one follows a strict interpretation of a "calendar winter ascent", the entire hike/climb has to be done between the time of the winter solstice and before the time of the spring solstice. So if say calendar winter starts on Dec 21 at 11:30am, departure from the trailhead has to be after that time. Similarly, return to the car has to be before the minute of the Spring solstice. So the edge dates get goofy to automatically handle if one uses this strict interpretation (which may or may not be a "thing" here in CO? It was a big deal when I hiked backed East, haven't paid attention to the local stance on that since I moved here, and the couple snowflakes I have were well within the winter dates.)
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

daway8 wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:16 pm
Personally, I'd love to see the ability to somehow have a log of all the climbs I've done on the site, complete with dates and such in case in decide to get into grid climbing. Right now my own personal spreadsheet is the only way to track stuff like that.
I use the memo section to record this stuff.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

madmattd wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:22 pm ...if one follows a strict interpretation of a "calendar winter ascent", the entire hike/climb has to be done between the time of the winter solstice and before the time of the spring solstice. So if say calendar winter starts on Dec 21 at 11:30am, departure from the trailhead has to be after that time. Similarly, return to the car has to be before the minute of the Spring solstice. So the edge dates get goofy to automatically handle if one uses this strict interpretation (which may or may not be a "thing" here in CO? It was a big deal when I hiked backed East, haven't paid attention to the local stance on that since I moved here, and the couple snowflakes I have were well within the winter dates.)
Taking something visceral, wild, and experiential, and reducing it to a schedule that must be followed down to the minute is the most engineering thing ever. No wonder no one likes engineers.

I'm kidding, of course. I'm sure some of their mothers like them.
Make wilderness less accessible.