winter liner gloves?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: winter liner gloves?

Post by daway8 »

pbarn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 pm So if it’s just about using a touch screen, you could go super old-school and buy a stylus. I picked one up a few years ago and carry it with me when I’m on *really* cold outings, so I don’t have to take any outer-layer gloves off at all. They cost $5-$10.

Worked for me.
I like that idea - I think I'll have to try that out. Like I said in the above post, you can get outer-layer gloves that are touchscreen and work fine regardless of what you have on under them, but the problem is the touchscreen capability tends to wear off too quickly.

But I just found a 10 pack of touchscreen stylus' for 5 bucks - if that works well it'll be cheaper than getting new gloves basically every season.

Thanks for the tip!
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

pbarn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 pm
Taylor Doriani wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:26 pm Hi all! What are your favorite liner gloves? I've learned recently that I really need liner gloves because I keep taking off my thicker gloves when I need more dexterity. A friend of mine got liner gloves recently that had touch screen capability, but that feature fell apart quickly. Any ideas on what make that feature more durable?
So if it’s just about using a touch screen, you could go super old-school and buy a stylus. I picked one up a few years ago and carry it with me when I’m on *really* cold outings, so I don’t have to take any outer-layer gloves off at all. They cost $5-$10.

Worked for me.
can you pinch-zoom with a stylus?
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i've gone through several North Face etip gloves, they all break down eventually. i've also used Black Diamond liners and had better luck with the touchscreen ability lasting a bit longer. i like that both have touchscreen compatibility on 2 fingers + thumb, because i find it easier to zoom in/out using my first two fingers, than finger-thumb, especially with a glove on.

i recently picked up these, though they obviously don't work as liner gloves: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR ... UTF8&psc=1
great for days when you only need one glove/mitt. don't have to worry about losing touchscreen functionality with them at least.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:09 am can you pinch-zoom with a stylus?
Good point. I'd guess it would take using a pair of them - perhaps holding them like a pair a chopsticks - which could be challenging with thick gloves on...

At 5 bucks for a pack of 10 it's worth a little experimentation - it'll give me something else to pass the time with on my next hike - I like oddball challenges like that.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

daway8 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:31 am
timisimaginary wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:09 am can you pinch-zoom with a stylus?
Good point. I'd guess it would take using a pair of them - perhaps holding them like a pair a chopsticks - which could be challenging with thick gloves on...

At 5 bucks for a pack of 10 it's worth a little experimentation - it'll give me something else to pass the time with on my next hike - I like oddball challenges like that.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
i was thinking maybe they had a special feature you can enable to click a button or something and put it into zoom mode. or maybe use the phone's accessibility features to be able to zoom with one finger/stylus.
after many years i finally discovered by accident how to use one-finger zoom on the iphone camera. but i haven't found anything like that which works on mapping apps.
Agstrohmeier
14ers: 15  6 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Agstrohmeier »

I have had by far the best experience with these liners.

https://www.rei.com/product/194716/the- ... lsrc=aw.ds

They’re not as soft as some of the others, and pretty thin, but I like the longer cuff, the touchscreen function has lasted longer than any others, and when they’ve gotten holes (as all liners do) they stay small and don’t consume entire fingers. I’ve got like 8 tiny holes in a glove and can still use them. They fit a little snug.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:44 am ...after many years i finally discovered by accident how to use one-finger zoom on the iphone camera. but i haven't found anything like that which works on mapping apps.
Well, hey, I never thought of that but a quick Google and test confirms that with both GAIA and Google Maps on my Android I can zoom in by double tapping with one finger and zoom out by double tapping with two fingers.

So might still need 2 touchscreen pens to fully function things but at least looks like I won't need to use them as chopsticks with thick gloves! May have to poke around some more to see if there's an even easier way...
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Screenshot_20221206-111147_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221206-111147_Chrome.jpg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
I use these for all my winter climbs. They are less than $2 a pair and the touchscreen capability does not wear out. They are warm too.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:10 pm ...and the touchscreen capability does not wear out.
Well I'm incredibly skeptical of that claim (I've never met a pair of gloves I can't destroy...), but at that low of a price I might add that to this winter's gear testing...
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:09 am
pbarn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 pm
Taylor Doriani wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:26 pm Hi all! What are your favorite liner gloves? I've learned recently that I really need liner gloves because I keep taking off my thicker gloves when I need more dexterity. A friend of mine got liner gloves recently that had touch screen capability, but that feature fell apart quickly. Any ideas on what make that feature more durable?
So if it’s just about using a touch screen, you could go super old-school and buy a stylus. I picked one up a few years ago and carry it with me when I’m on *really* cold outings, so I don’t have to take any outer-layer gloves off at all. They cost $5-$10.

Worked for me.
can you pinch-zoom with a stylus?
Good question! No, but there are some work around a like the double-tap. It’s not ideal, but not having to take outer gloves off at all during a winter hike is a dream.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

I just purchased the Outdoor Research Arete II Gloves as a gift for my brother-in-law. They have a removeable liner. The glove in general had pretty good reviews. I'll be interested to see if he like them and finds the liner glove to be of any quality, though I don't expect he'll do a ton of scrambling with them.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

So I tried the stylus suggestion above and absolutely love it!!!

Very easy to use - even with big bulky gloves on and has been working in some relatively extreme weather conditions (like near white-out and bitter cold at 13k). With these it doesn't matter if your gloves lose touchscreen capability, you can still operate your phone easily.

Double tap to zoom in on the map on apps like GAIA or Google Maps. I thought I might need two in order to do the double tap to zoom out (which does work) but realized with GAIA you can use a +/- button to zoom out.

Even my camera app can zoom the lens by pressing and holding the zoom button to bring up a slider (not sure if all camera apps do this now or not)

At a little over 50 cents a piece on Amazon (or wherever) these are dramatically better than periodically replacing touchscreen gloves and so ultra light that you can easily bring a backup or two in case one gets lost.

These are a game changer for those hyper cold days when taking your gloves off is literally painful but the touchscreen ability of your gloves isn't working.
Screenshot_20230131-071538.png
Screenshot_20230131-071538.png (635.79 KiB) Viewed 1404 times