2023 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: 2023 Goals

Post by SnowAlien »

Monster5 - Coxcomb is so rad, even in the summer. Sweet writeup and pix - the description of winter approaches made me lol'ed. Next time I'm definitely renting a snowmobile for the MHC approach, haha. Bells are so much better with the ride too.
Question - Ryan, when did you do Vestal and how was it? It's so rarely done in winter or even in spring, it's worthy of a post.
Steelernation
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Steelernation »

Much less exciting than many of these

•Longs Peak
•Grays/Torreys via Kelso ridge
•Challenger/Kit Carson
•Mt. Sneffels
•Do at least one harder class 3
•Get to 20 14ers total

Unrelated to 14ers:
•20+ ski days
•Hike as much as possible
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

SnowAlien wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:20 pm Monster5 - Coxcomb is so rad, even in the summer. Sweet writeup and pix - the description of winter approaches made me lol'ed. Next time I'm definitely renting a snowmobile for the MHC approach, haha. Bells are so much better with the ride too.
Question - Ryan, when did you do Vestal and how was it? It's so rarely done in winter or even in spring, it's worthy of a post.
Natalie, there's a trip report for that trip...
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18508
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

d_baker wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:15 am Natalie, there's a trip report for that trip...
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18508
Thanks Darin, my search skills are getting lame. I need to get stocked to drag my skis up there one of these springs (after I recover from Chicago Basin skiing, haha). That might be a worthy 2023 goal for me (at least one of them)... 😀
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Love the annual wanking thread…

I’m hoping to hike and bike more with my family, sometimes I feel like I prioritize my own goals to the detriment of my relationship with my children, masked in ill conceived justifications that my own well being is necessary to be whatever notion I have in my mind that a good parent is, when upon introspection it’s just my own selfishness.

I’d also like to do Longs in winter this year and continue skiing some more peaks.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:42 pm Love the annual wanking thread…

I’m hoping to hike and bike more with my family, sometimes I feel like I prioritize my own goals to the detriment of my relationship with my children, masked in ill conceived justifications that my own well being is necessary to be whatever notion I have in my mind that a good parent is, when upon introspection it’s just my own selfishness.
Very well put.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:42 pm I’m hoping to hike and bike more with my family, sometimes I feel like I prioritize my own goals to the detriment of my relationship with my children, masked in ill conceived justifications that my own well being is necessary to be whatever notion I have in my mind that a good parent is, when upon introspection it’s just my own selfishness.
I hear that. Mental health is a real thing, though. When my mind is unburdened by the cares of a 9-to-5 and I don't feel my fitness is sliding below some arbitrary threshold I'm much more present at home. In the context of a full-time job that usually means leaving the house at dark o'clock on Saturday and trying to get back by dinner or--better--lunch to conclude my 8 or 12 hours of "me time" a week. It helps to have a supportive spouse, and I check myself that I'm not taking advantage of that by overselling my needs.

So my goal is still: Be a good husband/dad and yet continue to be way fitter than Monster5.

Footnote re: Coxcomb in winter: It's easier in calendar winter than in shoulder season. In October it's cold and there's ice all over everything. In January you walk up a snow ramp at the summer crux entrance to the scrambling portion. Also, some years you can drive to the Wetterhorn Basin trailhead in January so there's no logical winter trailhead until at least February.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Boggy B wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:50 pm
So my goal is still: Be a good husband/dad and yet continue to be way fitter than Monster5.
I man approves this message.

I can relate though, I have lofty ultrarunning goals in 2023 and the crux will be finding time to train without putting too much strain on my family (wife, kids, parents). With 2 young kids at home, I want to prioritize spending time with them over training. However if I don't train enough, I will have no shot at finishing my races. I tell myself I am in my prime and I have no choice, these pursuits are involuntary - but that is selfish. I've often wondered what it would be like to be "normal" over the years (i.e. having been content with 14ers in summer as opposed to winter, or expedition climbing....or being content with running road half marathons instead of trail 100s)

Of course I would love to get 1 day on alpine rock and 1 day on ice in 2023, but that probably won't happen.

2023 goal - enjoy life and spend as much time outdoors as possible, preferably with me wife, son and daughter.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Main goals:

Try to get my mental health in better order, life is a real battle sometimes. Juggling those inevitable life and death matters, job stress, and all those things is sometimes just too much, and it's easy to fall into an abyss.

Stay physically healthy, which in many ways starts with ^^^^.

Work on my music "career". OK, maybe start to get paid for my hobby.

Get partnered up, which as always is pretty unlikely. I guess I'm too weird and unique for that kind of stuff.

As for outdoor-specific stuff:

Keep on my 14er repeats, add a few 13ers, do more things with company. I don't have specific PRs or superlatives anymore, as my body is over the hill.

Hopefully visit a few more countries and territories around the world, I'm now nearing the 90 mark. I have Bolivia and Peru on my mind, also places like North Africa, Azores / Canary Islands, Gulf region, hey, pretty much anywhere that's new.

I've done a fair amount in my life, everything new is really diminishing returns, but it's still something new and enjoyable for a bit.
IG: jc_solitude
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

I Man wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:53 am
Boggy B wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:50 pm
2023 goal - enjoy life and spend as much time outdoors as possible, preferably with me wife, son and daughter.
Yep, I have this general goal as well. Stay fit and balance time with the wife and baby daughter. Do bike rides and occasional peakbagging, even better if that’s with family. Definitely don’t want to isolate my family on account of selfishness and hobbies.

Peakbagging - possibly eventually complete Douglas county, since I’m less than 10 peaks away. Grand Teton at some point would be cool, as well as Rainier (Rainier fell through the cracks with COVID and other life events - might happen in 2024 with some friends). It’d be cool to road bike from my house in the Springs to Pikes Peak and back. Trying to work on training for that for next summer.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:42 pm Love the annual wanking thread…

I’d also like to do Longs in winter this year and continue skiing some more peaks.
Probably the most well-based "goal" in the annual wanking thread. Easy to get fomo when comparing against all the childless people. There's definitely a balance to be struck but it's hard to err on the side of too much family time.

Thank God for Zwift.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

November 21 - total knee replacement surgery on right knee. 2023 goal - summit at least 3 peaks at age 68 so total number of combined 14er and 13er summits exceeds 100. Lots of PT between now and goal.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21