how crowded does the fowler trailhead get - near Eldorado canyon?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

how crowded does the fowler trailhead get - near Eldorado canyon?

Post by jibler »

seems like this could get filled up quick? like all the time?

also - do you have to pay $$'s to park here? info is vague.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
Bigfoot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: how crowded does the fowler trailhead get - near Eldorado canyon?

Post by Bigfoot »

If I remember my last time, there is no parking at the Fowler trailhead. You park at either Dowdy Draw or South Mesa. Parking fees are required there for vehicles not registered in Boulder County. Please see OSMP Parking Permits and Fees for details at certain trailheads. The west trailhead is within the state park, so the entrance fee would cover that.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

Bigfoot wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:23 pm If I remember my last time, there is no parking at the Fowler trailhead.
There's no official OSMP parking lot, but unless the rules have changed recently you're allowed to park on the side of County Rd 67 above the turn-off to the Ashram. (That's assuming you can find a spot). Since it's not controlled by OSMP I don't see how they could charge for parking.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Parking is still allowed along CR67, just obey parking zones and don't block neighbors driveways. Parking can fill up quickly on weekends depending how nice it is outside.

A couple of separate notes, the Dowdy Draw trailhead is under construction so no parking there right now. Also, if you're hiking into Eldo from Fowler you technically need an Eldo pass still, Rangers have been patrolling this periodically.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

thebeave7 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:12 pm Also, if you're hiking into Eldo from Fowler you technically need an Eldo pass still, Rangers have been patrolling this periodically.

you just sank my battleship!

this was designed to serve as the "Poor Man's Entrance" to eldorado.

but also seems ridiculous - i use such an entrance to chatfield all the time - no one is sweating me. I would think any state park with trail connectivity cannot be bothered to be frisking every person inside - right? i think it is same at roxborough anyway.

but i was also thinking of taking my nieces - and we'd likely only get to the gates of eldorado so maybe that could be enough. trail looks cool.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

If your nieces are up for the up, Rattlesnake in Eldo proper is going to be a cooler hike imo.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

thebeave7 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:12 pm Also, if you're hiking into Eldo from Fowler you technically need an Eldo pass still, Rangers have been patrolling this periodically.
How do rangers check this? Is there now a pass that you're supposed to carry around? I just remember having the state parks windshield sticker. Haven't been there in a few years, though.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

CarpeDM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:38 am
How do rangers check this? Is there now a pass that you're supposed to carry around? I just remember having the state parks windshield sticker. Haven't been there in a few years, though.
Annual passes come with a separate pass you're supposed to carry for non-vehicular entrance. I've always carried mine in my MTB pack since I go between Horsetooth and Lory all the time, but have never been asked for it there. Eldo's a different beast, but it's a little absurd to expect folks to remember to bring it.
Make wilderness less accessible.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Dave B wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:08 am
Annual passes come with a separate pass you're supposed to carry for non-vehicular entrance. I've always carried mine in my MTB pack since I go between Horsetooth and Lory all the time, but have never been asked for it there. Eldo's a different beast, but it's a little absurd to expect folks to remember to bring it.
Gotcha. Thanks, Dave. I have no memory of ever receiving one of those with the sticker, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I used to walk the dog there often, starting from CR67, and I was never challenged by a ranger, but that also doesn't mean they weren't, or aren't, doing it.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams