2022 Goals

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 2022 Goals

Post by two lunches »

two lunches wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:42 am many theories of goal setting involve being specific about what you want to accomplish, but i really like where Geo was going with this, so i think i'll pick something in the middle and say that i plan to focus on finishing the 14ers over the next few years. historically i've prioritized hike-time with my dog and have been very non-committal about finishing but it feels like the right time to move forward... so i'm going to go with that.

looking forward to seeing y'all out there 8)
in a rather unexpected turn of events, my hiking companion (despite turning 10 in a few weeks and beginning 2022 with two partial ACL tears and a fresh hip dysplasia diagnosis) does not seem to be interested in retirement. for that reason i've found myself NOT prioritizing 14ers this year like i intended to, instead continuing to enjoy our time together while working on segments of the Colorado Trail (which we started last summer), tackling bicentennials, and climbing obscure 12ers/13ers that most people don't care about. HOWEVER i did sneak out of the house one time in august to hike Longs via the Loft and it was one of the most fun days of hiking i've had... up until it intersected the overcrowded disaster that is the standard route on a summer saturday. the number of people i saw or overheard up there who had no business being above treeline was deeply concerning.
i definitely had some misses this year. buffalo peaks (as it turns out) were not dog-friendly so we did have a turn-around, i'm super bummed to have missed FG this year, and i'd have liked to use my backpacking setup for more than 2 nights.
but for a couple bullseyes i'm finally working on climbing/bouldering and also have managed to stay injury-free for the first time in 5 years thanks to custom insoles, ice baths, and cross-training. apparently trading strength-training for yoga, spin/cycling, and running is kinder to my muscles and joints.

i've started thinking about what i'd like to accomplish in 2023 and look forward to seeing what everyone else is up to!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

two lunches wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:47 am in a rather unexpected turn of events, my hiking companion (despite turning 10 in a few weeks and beginning 2022 with two partial ACL tears and a fresh hip dysplasia diagnosis) does not seem to be interested in retirement.
Sorry to hear about his injuries, but awesome that your 4-legged friend is still wanting to get out and play on the trails!
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

Wow I wrote this 11 months ago but it feels like forever..
zootloopz wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:06 pm Love seeing all of these! Inspired me to come up with a list.

Main List

1. Complete a thru-hike of the PCT (Mar-Aug) --totally bailed on this, and even bailed on finishing the 1,200 miles I have left
2. Complete 14ers list and final Great Traverse (LB to Blanca to Ellingwood) -- COMPLETED 9/4
3. Complete CO Centennials (87/105) (Aug & Sep) -- COMPLETED 9/18
4. Complete NH48 (38/48) (Feb & Mar) --totally bailed on this
5. Find an apartment and job in Colorado post adventures (Golden or West Denver) (Nov) --COMPLETED and its nice
6. Go the entire year without any alcohol --several stints of 45-60 days without, but i've probably drank 6-7 times this year

Bonus Goals

1. Solo the Grand via Owen Spalding route (Aug) -- did not come to fruition
2. Single day R2R2R Alt via Bass Trails w/ skinny dip (Oct) --did not come to fruition, did some cali 14ers instead
3. Winter Prezi Traverse (Feb / Mar) --did not come to fruition
4. Complete a 100km/100mi FKT or Mountain Ultra (Oct / Nov) --did not come to fruition, but signed up for the leadville 100 lottery today
5. Solo the 3rd and 4th flatiron (Aug-Dec) --COMPLETED the 3rd (not the 4th)
6. Win 3v3 Basketball Championship (Feb) --COMPLETED in style
7. Climb Pico de Orizaba / Mexico’s High Point / 18,491’ (Nov-Mar / ~$1000 / no guide needed)--did not come to fruition...yet
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

My goals are extremely modest compared to most here. I have learned through the years that, for me, if I set my goals too high hiking feels like a chore rather than recreation. Since I have no aspirations to do any of the class 4 peaks (ever), completing the 14ers or 13ers is not a goal. However I will pick off as many of the lower hanging fruit peaks as I can. Maybe all the class 2 peaks with an occasional class 3 ? For 2022 my goals are :
  • Average 10K' vertical hiking per month (120K' for the year). I am at 11,800+change right now for 2022.
  • Climb Blodgett Peak every month of the year since moving to COS in December, 2020. I have every month but December right now, so I plan to climb it this month to take care of this and the first goal.
  • Climb a bunch of 14ers (did 7 this year, 8 if you include a repeat of Pikes).
  • Climb Mt Marcy because of its name & I turned back in 2021. Took 2 tries in 2022, but finally made it up last summer.
  • Climb West Spanish Peak. Check.
  • Climb a bunch of 13ers. Getting to 20 before the snow flies seemed reasonable. And I got there in October. But then LiDar came out and reduced my count to 18. So 2022 was a total flaming failure.
  • Climb some 12ers. Not many new ones this year. Repeated Bison, Did get East Spanish Peak (took two tries as the first time I forgot my lunch on my kitchen counter at home, I realized this about an hour into the hike). Didn't make it up Almagre this year, did 3 times in 2021. I did get McCurdy Peak paring it up with a Bison climb last spring.
  • Cameron Cone from Manitou Springs. Did summit that this year after 2 unsuccessful attempts in 2021 (declared it a a day at Gog & Magog rocks).
  • Climb Mt. Rosa a bunch of times (always from N.Cheyenne Canon for the workout). 4 in 2022 for a total of 8.
Best Regards
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

jrbren_vt wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:51 pm My goals are extremely modest compared to most here. I have learned through the years that, for me, if I set my goals too high hiking feels like a chore rather than recreation. Since I have no aspirations to do any of the class 4 peaks (ever), completing the 14ers or 13ers is not a goal. However I will pick off as many of the lower hanging fruit peaks as I can. Maybe all the class 2 peaks with an occasional class 3 ? For 2022 my goals are :
  • Average 10K' vertical hiking per month (120K' for the year). I am at 11,800+change right now for 2022.
  • Climb Blodgett Peak every month of the year since moving to COS in December, 2020. I have every month but December right now, so I plan to climb it this month to take care of this and the first goal.
  • Climb Mt Marcy because of its name & I turned back in 2021. Took 2 tries in 2022, but finally made it up last summer.
  • Climb a bunch of 13ers. Getting to 20 before the snow flies seemed reasonable. And I got there in October. But then LiDar came out and reduced my count to 18. So 2022 was a total flaming failure.
  • Climb some 12ers. Not many new ones this year. Repeated Bison, Did get East Spanish Peak (took two tries as the first time I forgot my lunch on my kitchen counter at home, I realized this about an hour into the hike). Didn't make it up Almagre this year, did 3 times in 2021. I did get McCurdy Peak paring it up with a Bison climb last spring.
  • Cameron Cone from Manitou Springs. Did summit that this year after 2 unsuccessful attempts in 2021 (declared it a a day at Gog & Magog rocks).
  • Climb Mt. Rosa a bunch of times (always from N.Cheyenne Canon for the workout). 4 in 2022 for a total of 8.
You gotta helluva lot to do in 3 weeks! 22 or 23??
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

greenonion wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:25 pm
jrbren_vt wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:51 pm My goals are extremely modest compared to most here. I have learned through the years that, for me, if I set my goals too high hiking feels like a chore rather than recreation. Since I have no aspirations to do any of the class 4 peaks (ever), completing the 14ers or 13ers is not a goal. However I will pick off as many of the lower hanging fruit peaks as I can. Maybe all the class 2 peaks with an occasional class 3 ? For 2022 my goals are :
You gotta helluva lot to do in 3 weeks! 22 or 23??
Oops. My bad. I got ya now. Good job on 22!
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:50 am my 2022 goals are still in flux at this point, but some candidates on the list include:

1) sub-4:00 marathon - nope; illness a month before the race and longer recovery than expected derailed me; did at least get a PR though
2) another 50k (likely depends on how my foot tendinitis recovery goes) - yes
3) possibly pursuing 5K and half-marathon PRs - yes, plus 10K, so managed to PR in each of the "standard" distances in one year
4) Iceland - northern lights, puffins, and possibly a trail marathon; might involve multiple trips - yes to Iceland, Northern Lights, no to puffins or a trail race, but that will change next year
5) Maine - Katahdin - no
6) some form of trip out West, to possibly include CO, UT or NM; Wheeler Peak in NM, a 14er or several in CO, possibly a trail race in UT; and ideally, a lot of roaming around in a rented camper van to decide if i want to pursue purchasing one in the future - yes, trip around the Four Corners area, hit Petrified Forest NP, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde NP, Bisti/De-Na-Zin, Chaco Canyon, summitted Wheeler Peak in NM and Handies in CO
7) find the time to actually read the complete list of Scott P's 2022 goals - no
guess it's time to revisit this.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

The last time I stated my goals outright, after nervously chuckling that doing so was probably going to be a major self-whammy, I, uh, whammied myself pretty good. I kept this year’s hopes and dreams under wraps to avoid further self-fulfilling superstition:
HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:47 pm Rather than give the cosmos another chance to mock me, I'm going to adapt some writing advice I heard about story ideas to stating goals: keep all of 'em between you and whatever medium you're committing them to. The best part [sic] to talk about them is after they're done.
The Big Goal that I’ve been working on for the past few years - namely, finally finishing the f—-ing fourteeners - still remains incomplete, but I’m pretty pleased with my progress. I had ten left at the start of the year, and I climbed six over the summer, half of which were Class 4, and 2/3 were the most logistically nightmarish - suffice to say I’m stoked about never having to return to Chicago Basin, beautiful as it is! Of course I would’ve loved to have summited the last of my list too, but considering how wet it was this summer (I am a solidly fair-weather hiker, especially on long and/or scrambly routes, due to my glacial pace) and that my ankle was still janky after shattering my heel the year before, I think I did all right.

I also got started on another goal that I put in my profile rather than this thread:
Hike for fun again
I repeated San Luis - my favorite fourteener - with a friend who’d never made it all the way up before, did some day trips along 550, and backpacked the Four Pass Loop in two days during a gorgeous October weather window. I’ve been blowing off pleasurable, scenic trails in favor of peakbagging far too long; I’m glad I’m finally starting to get my priorities back on track!

Along the lines of having fun in the mountains again, another goal I’m not sure I actually wrote down anywhere but did muse about out loud not long before I wrecked my foot in 2021 was skiing all 12 months of the year…I’d skied all but August and September prior to that. My one-legged state for all of August and some of September last year prevented me from going after it then, but this year, I am pleased to say I have skied every single month, and even if the snow got awfully thin at St. Mary’s as the summer went on, it was a fun enough way to stay in shape that I’d like to try maintaining the streak (note I said *try*, so no declarative statements of guaranteed success, if there any malignant forces that might be reading :p ). I had two of my funnest days ever on fourteeners when I skied Grays and Bross in May, so apparently there is a way to combine fourteeners and fun in my book. A shame my remaining unclimbed ones would be really, really, REALLY tricky ski descents…

Overall, 2022 was pretty decent for me. I’m thinking there just might be something to super vague stating of goals!
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

13ers: added 15. But 20 would've been better. A snail's pace to finishing.

The summer is taken up by bike racing, and my test piece is up Deer Creek Canyon. This year I went under an hour, maybe slightly wind aided (Strava says 4.2 MPH, so hardly hurricane force winds). I ended up being in the top ten for my age group, out of 1100, good enough. Naturally, I would like to beat that in 2023, but the hardest efforts are saved for race days.
GrangePR.PNG
GrangePR.PNG (66.08 KiB) Viewed 884 times
GrangeClimb.PNG
GrangeClimb.PNG (317.54 KiB) Viewed 884 times
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

d_baker wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm

Goals:
cut (LiDAR) bicent list in half (~21 remaining) with a focus on the following:
-- Trinity group or Animas group backpack
-- Coxcomb
-- finish Sawatch bicents (2)
-- $500 Ranch group

Get to 300 13ers.
Get to Lake City to climb at ice park for the first time...I have 2 trips planned for Ouray already.
-- meet up with a squirrel and Rocky for a hike. ;)
~1/2 dozen snow climbs!
Biggest difference to me this year if I compare it to other years for me, is that I was actually in CO all year! (i.e., work projects all in CO this year, which was awesome for me)
I came up short on the 300 13ers (of ranked), but had a good summer (for me) of ~50 summits.
Only got 7 or 8 bicents, so not half like I was hoping for.
Did not go for Coxcomb this year.
Did not finish Sawatch bi-cents.
I did pay the $500 for the Ranch peaks.
I did climb at the ice park in Lake City for the first time, and I think 2 or 3 trips to Ouray ice park.
And I think only 3 or 4 snow climbs, two of which were bi-cents.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Capitol to finish winter 14ers.
-Yes, finally in Jan'22 after multiple tries
Shoot for 50 ski days
-Got 45 days, below average, injured knee for ~3 months didn't help, low motivation to drive to ABasin
Pyramid (yep) and Chicago Basin 14ers spring ski (nope, bad snow conditions in SJs)
500+ 13ers by the end of the summer/fall hiking season
-Hiked 46 new peaks for 523 peaks total (6 long drives to SJs). Highlights - McHenrys via Notch and Upper Exum on Grand Teton. Had a lightning scare on one of the 13ers @11am.
350+ pitches of climbing, sport ~100 pitches
-Lagging here, just over 200 pitches, but did a very nice long trip to Red Rocks in November
Last edited by SnowAlien on Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am Keeping it simple, finish the Centennials. Only 9 to go with 8 of them in the San Juans, it’s doable, but will take effort.
I got plenty of peaks in, but only 5 of my outstanding Centennials. That would have meant 4 left, but with LiDar, it's 6. Fingers crossed for next year.
Century Bound, eventually.