Thank you Mr. Middlebrook!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sanjuanmtneer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Thank you Mr. Middlebrook!

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

I see from the 2021 Colorado Fourteeners Initiative Annual Report I just received that you are a "Mount Elbert Club" ($1,000-$24,99) donator this year and that it is your 20th year of making donations to CFI!
Thank you for donating and helping keep the Fourteeners a place that all 14er climbers can continue to enjoy.

About 25 years ago, on may home from a climb, I decided that it wasn't enough for me to just climb the mountains and walk away. So for many years I volunteered on trail crews, not just for CFI but also for many other organizations. I did several a year. Now that it is often too physically difficult for me, I make monetary donations to CFI (and others) although not near the amount that Bill has.

In 2019, it is estimated that 415,000 people were climbing 14ers. Quandary was the most climbed 14er with 49,000 hiker days over the summer climbing season! CFI is working to buy the land on the nine 14ers that are located on or accessed through private lands and has received some grants to help with that. Their website, 14ers.org, provides more information on the many things they are doing to help preserve the 14ers.

I recommend those of you that are avid 14er climbers to volunteer for a trail crew. I found them some of the most rewarding and fun events in my life. If you are strong enough to climb mountains, you're likely strong enough to do trail work. If you can't then please consider donating to CFI.

Thanks again Bill!
And my mind was made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Now my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And time is dear.
(With deference to John Dillon)
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Thank you Mr. Middlebrook!

Post by bmcqueen »

Well said. Bill has done amazing things for the 14ers community and for the peaks themselves through his support of CFI. Here is a link to the main Gives Day page for CFI - https://www.coloradogives.org/organization/14ers.

I’m wrapping up my eighth year on the board of directors of this great organization. Melissa and I have a CFI Gives Day page with a matching fund, and I know many of my fellow board members are doing the same.

Thanks again to Bill for the awesome 14ers community you have built, to CFI for the outstanding work in protecting, preserving, educating and expanding access, and to everyone in the community who gives their time, talent or treasure in support of the peaks we all love.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I’m always happy to support CFI and will continue to do so. And Brad is right, there are many more individual donors/supporters compared to long ago. Lloyd and the CFI Board have done a great job raising awareness and support.

And thanks for the reminder that I have to get the word out about CO Gives Day! I’ve been busy…
B881284F-7E97-423B-AED8-681CDD2123D1.jpeg
B881284F-7E97-423B-AED8-681CDD2123D1.jpeg (365.29 KiB) Viewed 715 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

That guy is my hero!
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Will_E wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:47 am That guy is my hero!
You gotta lotta heroes dude. But agreed that Bill is probably ALL our hero.

(Just playin around with my comment - you’re my hero based on the big ol days you have out there)