Michael C Wirth

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Michael C Wirth

Post by SnowAlien »

He's going to give a talk on Dec 14 in Basalt. You could see your idol(s) in person! šŸ˜€
https://tacaw.org/calendar/52-13-film-a ... beidleman/
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Michael C Wirth's snowmobile malfunctions 12 miles deep in the backcountry. He skins out no headlamp, no food. The ski footie in this episode is sweet too:

nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Been_Jammin wrote: ā†‘Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:33 pm He skins out no headlamp
When fast and light bites you in the assā€¦ not sure why you wouldnā€™t just have a saddle bag/box on the sled with light, food, and possibly even extra common parts for the sled and tools to fix it.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

nsaladin wrote: ā†‘Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:19 pm When fast and light bites you in the assā€¦ not sure why you wouldnā€™t just have a saddle bag/box on the sled with light, food, and possibly even extra common parts for the sled and tools to fix it.
I don't get going minimal with a snow machine either. I don't want to be too critical, because dude is a certifiable badass, but I feel like this was probably a better opportunity to lean in to humility rather than the "i BaReLy SuRvIvEd!!" schtick.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

I had to bail at 1:05 but was the conclusion that "most people," granted skis and appropriate clothing, couldn't skin down 12 miles of sled track to save their lives? Was he injured? Was it, like, sooooper dark out?
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 33 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

Boggy B wrote: ā†‘Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:59 am I had to bail at 1:05 but was the conclusion that "most people," granted skis and appropriate clothing, couldn't skin down 12 miles of sled track to save their lives? Was he injured? Was it, like, sooooper dark out?
Haha yeah 1:05 was quite cringey. It was dark, but moonlit. Sled track was filled in by snow/wind, and having been there, can confirm that the valley floor is very flat rather than downhill (lose about 1k over those 12 miles), so those two things make it slightly more difficult. In either case, not terribly difficult for someone equipped to be up there skiing and uninjured. He said it took him 5-6 hours getting back to the van at like 1am, which sounds pretty darn slow for a flat skin, especially considering what I've seen him do in his other videos in this project. I suspect some embellishments were made on the story retelling, we've all been guilty of that
I thought, I taught, I wrought
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Boggy B wrote: ā†‘Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:59 am I had to bail at 1:05 but was the conclusion that "most people," granted skis and appropriate clothing, couldn't skin down 12 miles of sled track to save their lives? Was he injured? Was it, like, sooooper dark out?
Iā€™m gonna play devils advocate just for fun and say he meant ā€œmost peopleā€ as in the general population that is your typical out of shape couch potatoes who think walking a mile is an accomplishment. Most people with fitness and who have the survival mindset of folks who do this crazy crap would all likely make it down just fine, albeit with a whole lot of unpleasant suffering. But who knows. The line he skied looked pretty dang sweet, gotta talk Fireinthemountains to getting us there since heā€™s the local legend up in Idaho now.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

aholle88 wrote: ā†‘Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:47 pm
Iā€™m gonna play devils advocate just for fun and say he meant ā€œmost peopleā€ as in the general population that is your typical out of shape couch potatoes who think walking a mile is an accomplishment. Most people with fitness and who have the survival mindset of folks who do this crazy crap would all likely make it down just fine, albeit with a whole lot of unpleasant suffering. But who knows. The line he skied looked pretty dang sweet, gotta talk Fireinthemountains to getting us there since heā€™s the local legend up in Idaho now.
Is his target audience the general population? YouTube probably isnā€™t putting this video on the home page of or auto-playing it after a video the general population would be watching. I could be wrong though.
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

SnowAlien wrote: ā†‘Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:32 pm He's going to give a talk on Dec 14 in Basalt. You could see your idol(s) in person! šŸ˜€
https://tacaw.org/calendar/52-13-film-a ... beidleman/
Sorry to revive an old comment but did you go? I went and enjoyed the discussion as well as the movie.

He certainly isn't slowing down.
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Official trailer for Elk Traverse FKT out now!

ballardwf04
14ers: 45 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ballardwf04 »

Been_Jammin wrote: ā†‘Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:03 am Official trailer for Elk Traverse FKT out now!
Looks like this'll be a good one. Fortunate to run into him atop Snowmass during his record and did a bit of a double take.
"In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God."
Luke 6:12
Jeffk3nnedyshredz
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeffk3nnedyshredz »

How old is he?