Cool (sad) Picture

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Cool (sad) Picture

Post by Carl »

Been a while since I've been on the site so it's nice to log in today and come across this photo. Thanks for sharing. If I recall correctly this was the trip where Marc and I showed up later that first night and felt guilty poaching that trench the rest of you worked hard to put in! That ski off of Colombia was damn windy. I also remember enjoying some of that whiskey with Terry.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

TaylorHolt wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:21 pm Great photo, Kiefer! Thanks for sharing.

Jim was always so friendly and willing to share his knowledge with others, especially when it came to winter 14ers. I was so thankful for his mentorship, and it ended far too soon. I still go back and reread his legendary trip reports. He, Steve, and Terry are very missed.

(That does look like Dan McCool on the bottom row)
Anyone know if that’s Dan McCool who was a teacher/professor at Texas A&M U about a million years ago, and U of Utah somewhat more recently? If so, I was in a class of his that I really enjoyed. Political Science or History-ish. Great teacher/professor!

Pretty Cool name too.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Awwww, it's not that sad. I'd like to see more group pictures like this with our departed friends. :-)
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

Yes, that’s me in the photo (orange coat, next to Jim).

I still think on that trip quite often. I recall being somewhat star-struck by those present. I carpooled to the TH with Dave Mattingly, Britt Jones, and Steve Gladbach - I remember just hoping I didn’t say or do anything foolish. Wonderful memories.

Thanks, Kiefer.

P.S. While I did spend 13 years teaching, it’s never been at the university level. Must be someone else.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Dang...I was there that weekend, but apparently missed the photoshoot. I was relatively new to climbing 14ers and wouldn't have known who most of those people were. I remember talking with Steve for a while, really hit it off with him, but had no idea at the time what a mountaineering legend he was! Brings back memories...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

dmccool wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 pm Yes, that’s me in the photo (orange coat, next to Jim).

I still think on that trip quite often. I recall being somewhat star-struck by those present. I carpooled to the TH with Dave Mattingly, Britt Jones, and Steve Gladbach - I remember just hoping I didn’t say or do anything foolish. Wonderful memories.

Thanks, Kiefer.

P.S. While I did spend 13 years teaching, it’s never been at the university level. Must be someone else.
Excellent! Thanks for the clarification Dan and everyone. I'm so glad everyone helped solve this.
And I couldn't agree more, Carl. Damn...those were some fun times.
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Thanks for sharing Kiefer, definitely was a solid winter outing with an even more solid group of people! Some damn good memories.

Jim, Steve, and Terry are very missed for sure...
Good luck breeds bad habits.
Fletch Lives
14ers: 47  17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fletch Lives »

Kiefer, that's a great photo. That weekend was bonkers. I carpooled with Gilsdorf and Jeff Golden and I think we were with Matt Ellis and Vince too at some point. I met Steve (and maybe you!) for the first time that weekend. Almost everyone in that photo, I've been climbing with at some point. Those were some of the best years... :) I hadn't thought of Terry for a bit. THAT guy! What a hoot. Jim and I became good friends after that weekend. I miss him.

Chris, you were cracking me up. I think you climbed Harvard in March in construction boots. You were an animal! Look at you now! HAHAHA

Was that right after the summer of Crossfitter? For some reason I remember him being there too.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well. Happy Holidays from California and thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Brings back great times. Much love!
Uh. Well, I've sinned. I didn't take any Polaroids or anything. But, yeah, I've sinned.