Purple --> Winter Class 2 Ridge Runs for Cents & Bi-Cents

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Purple --> Winter Class 2 Ridge Runs for Cents & Bi-Cents

Post by CheapCigarMan »

List your recommended Cents / Bi-Cents Class 2 ridge runs or good routes in general for this time of year?
I should be on a mountain
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Purple --> Winter Class 2 Ridge Runs for Cents & Bi-Cents

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Mt Adams is usually pretty good this time of year and it looks like the storms this week will mostly miss the Sangres. There are class 2 13ers on either side of Adams that you can connect without much difficulty.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Massive would be a good one and you could even do Massive Mania, though it would be very long if you tried it in a day.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Marmot72
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Check out Bull Hill, Casco/French/Lackawanna. Also Rinker by way of the unranked Twin Peaks (SarahT has a winter report on those). Atlantic and Pacific, North Star or Wheeler to North Star, Arkansas, Twin Pk A (leave trail early for north ridge).
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Marmot72 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:40 pm Check out Bull Hill, Casco/French/Lackawanna. Also Rinker by way of the unranked Twin Peaks (SarahT has a winter report on those). Atlantic and Pacific, North Star or Wheeler to North Star, Arkansas, Twin Pk A (leave trail early for north ridge).
For Casco and French, would you start from the Indy Pass closure? I think Dad Mike has a TR on that route. The standard route on those peaks looks pretty avy prone.

I'd add California from Zapata TH and a lot of the Bi-Cents off Guanella Pass (Square Top, Argentine, and Gray Wolf).
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

everything in the mosquito/tenmile
Marmot72
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

For Casco and French, would you start from the Indy Pass closure? I think Dad Mike has a TR on that route. The standard route on those peaks looks pretty avy prone.

Yes from Hwy 82 in the area of the hairpin turn - over Casco and onto French. Casco has a nice ridge from Bull Hill, too, but it would be a long day to reverse it and I imagine the basin is full of powder - that and the willows would make for a frustrating, slow exit (that's what I experienced in early spring one year).
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Marmot72 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:49 am For Casco and French, would you start from the Indy Pass closure? I think Dad Mike has a TR on that route. The standard route on those peaks looks pretty avy prone.

Yes from Hwy 82 in the area of the hairpin turn - over Casco and onto French. Casco has a nice ridge from Bull Hill, too, but it would be a long day to reverse it and I imagine the basin is full of powder - that and the willows would make for a frustrating, slow exit (that's what I experienced in early spring one year).
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... 5&start=25

Following in Mikes footsteps while chasing the winter centennials and knowing him as a good winter partner, he is a sandbagger. If Mike says, “it wasn’t that bad” be a little scared. After reading his TR for Frasco I decided to head all the way up North Fork. Also I wouldn’t consider Mikes route or my route to be class 2. As usual it depends on the snow conditions. Both our routes had small sections of 3/4 and my ascent/descent routes were very good with no avy potential. Also the upper valley is quite stunning in winter! There is nothing more spectacular than untouched pristine mountain snow.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Marmot72 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:49 am For Casco and French, would you start from the Indy Pass closure? I think Dad Mike has a TR on that route. The standard route on those peaks looks pretty avy prone.

Echo creek is certainly an option. Did that on Casco a few years ago in the highest of the high snow year and there was no avy risk gaining the ridge at the saddle. Sections of the approach can slide though, particularly one big chute off Bull Hill. It would be a long day to get all 3, absolutely, but doable if one was determined enough.