The New Spot Per Month Challenge! [2017-2022]

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Re: The New Spot Per Month Challenge! [2017-2022]

Post by jibler »

thanks for reply 12ers

yes i guess now I can build in contingency plan that if green mtn fails - I'll just head up further and try to redeem with junction butte.

I cannot see any fences on green mtn - so seemingly it is all clear. I might be the first person to be up there in like a decade anyway.

all these are trying to replicate the magic that is wolford mtn - that place has a perfect view. but alas i've been there before.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

got er done

looking at summit from along ridge

may need to post some of the approach moments - the clouds lifted miraculously just upon getting up

like lifted everywhere and completely
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

open question - what temperature is too cold to let your foot get wet???

I am looking at going out 'double tap' style this month and next - two spots per month!

and I'm thinking still about Turkshead Peak - but I think this same thing happened end of last year too - I question whether it is just too cold overall to allow my bare foot to get wet in the Platte in crossing over to the slope to get up.

and we've got this huge cold snap on our hands too. that water ain't getting warmer either.

i don't wanna lose a toe to hit up turkshead!
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

I respect your consistency Jibler
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

jibler wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:05 pm open question - what temperature is too cold to let your foot get wet??
I cross icy creeks or icy small rivers regularly. As long as it's less than knee deep I just bring some water shoes or crocs (which weigh very little), neoprene socks, and a small towel. It's cold, but as long as you dry off quick, and put on something warm afterwards it shouldn't be a problem. It stings a little and then everything is OK once you warm up.

The biggest concern is falling in. Just don't do that.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I wear neoprene socks and water shoes most of the year on wet CO stream and river crossings. Still look for nicer days and bring a fast drying towel. Generally found good spots to cross on ice, but wear spikes. One time I didn't bother since there was a layer of snow on the ice, but had to hop a gap. I slipped and got totally soaked, and lost a pole. At least I was right near where I parked and at the end of the hike. Have seen partners get by without spikes with a boot sliding technique and great balance.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

exciting news

round 2 of the November segment was looking to be local lowland stuff

but now I see rampart isn't as snowy as i thought**

so maybe an attack on Buffalo Peak from the east like i was talking about here last fall can happen next week.

I've been in the area last three years running too - so keeping that alive would be huge extra points. 2022 may just beat 2020 after all.

**courtesy of that live satellite website someone here clued me into - and that was crucial this may actually when selecting a mid-month route that would keep me out of the most snow.

I cannot configure map so i keep using this one from before and adjusting date:

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel- ... ates=false
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

went for the november double tap today

and got thwarted on Turkshead!

couldn't take the river crossing. that's much closer to the dam - despite overall dryness here it was moving at steady clip up river.

i was prepared - but not to waist deep here people. plus i'm not a water guy. situation seemed primed for trouble.

eh - now i feel it is a problematic hike all around. i'd rather not in heat of summer anyway - if that's what it takes.

this is where the 'new spot challenge' can lead you astray. that place better be cool. if not it shows.

conclusion - the only thing going on in waterton canyon is goat mountain
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

OK I've already got great plan to come back swinging in December.

and it involves getting back into the rampart again after all - and looking down on turkshead no less.

here's a clue as to what I'm thinking:

corunner
14ers: 57 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (0)

Post by corunner »

I went up Turkshead on Friday. I do it once a year.

There's a place to cross just east of the cable pulley thing across the river where it is knee deep all the way. One or two steps might be a tad deeper. If you grab a long stick on the shore (or bring a hiking pole) it's not bad at all. The current isn't as strong as it appears. I'd say it takes 30-45 seconds to cross and the footing is good.

The real challenge of Turkshead comes after the river crossing. If you try for a direct line to the summit, the oak is terrible. You need to go much more west and approach via an arc. You'll still battle oak, but there are more options around it. The last third you can find a faint trail that is difficult to follow, but it will lead you around the back and you can easily scramble to the summit. After enjoying the summit do scramble down and then up to the lower rock outcropping for some extra fun.

This year I took the ridge closest to the dam up and around. It added distance, but the views of the dam and reservoir made it worth it.

Last tip...always wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. You will battle oak and another bush with sharp thorns.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

i saw the pulley cart thing for sure - i was highly temped to commandeer that thing on the spot.

yeah the water wasn't super unreasonable but seemed to be at depths and or speed that i didn't like.

that's funny you metnion you made it upstream - i thought that was a little more promising but the addtional contours of the ridges to approach made me just write it all off.

i made very late start anyway too - no margin for anything. i came back in total darkness anyway.

eh - at 12 miles for something that doesn't have as good a view as other spots nearby - I now may consider turks a total write off.

at some point it is good to be done with the 'new spots' and go back to Greatest Hits. I have only been on raleigh, long scrag and thunder butte once each.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Jibs you seem to have a flair for the obscure. Nothing wrong with that, I do too.

Might I suggest Tremont Mountain, if you haven't done it yet. The views from the top are excellent, and there's a little scramble there.

https://www.listsofjohn.com/peak/2868