Recommended Ski Shops, Passes, & Ski Lessons

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Recommended Ski Shops, Passes, & Ski Lessons

Post by XterraRob »

After careful consideration, I decided to spend a season learning technique within the ski parks until I am confident enough to pursue backcountry skiing. I'm looking to get a set up for a ski park and would like to know about recommendations for ski shops. I was told to stay clear of REI downtown but I found them to be helpful when I first inquired about skis years ago.

I'm also looking for recommendations for ski passes and affordable ski lessons (I heard Loveland is good, and A-basin for lessons).

Thank you for your time.

:horns: :horns:
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Recommended Ski Shops, Passes, & Ski Lessons

Post by kwhit24 »

XterraRob wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:01 am After careful consideration, I decided to spend a season learning technique within the ski parks until I am confident enough to pursue backcountry skiing. I'm looking to get a set up for a ski park and would like to know about recommendations for ski shops. I was told to stay clear of REI downtown but I found them to be helpful when I first inquired about skis years ago.

I'm also looking for recommendations for ski passes and affordable ski lessons (I heard Loveland is good, and A-basin for lessons).

Thank you for your time.

:horns: :horns:
Whenever I need work done on my skis or have a gear question I got to Powder7 in Golden. Small example: I bought some Scarpa boots off FB marketplace but they weren't quite fitting right. I went to P7 and they took the time to help me work on the boots to get them to fit including trying to punch out nd heat mold them even though I didn't buy the boots from there. The extra effort didn't go unnoticed by me and whenever I get a chance I recommend them. They also have old ski/binding combos that I think are good deals. Other stores I've went to are Evo and Bentgate (Golden). I've followed BlisterReview.com and their Buyer's guide for years now. They also have a podcast and website with a lot of information
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

good suggestions for Powder7 and Bentgate ^^

Loveland is a great place for lessons and i'd also suggest Cooper- super mellow terrain. just steer wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy clear of VR
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Guess I'm making a trip to Golden :) Thank you for the starting points!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

loveland is great, and I hear lots of good things about their lessons
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I live in golden and take my skis to confluence kayaks in denver.
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

Loveland and Abasin are both sort of under-priced places that are known for really great terrain. If you re not advanced you might not like them as much as Keystone where there is much more easy skiing. They just dont have the resort fiesta atmosphere and they cost less but they are legendary. The ski schools are probably fine at all of these places. The Epic Pass is worth considering for you it is a pretty good deal and that gets you everything else in Summit County and Eagle County. Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, Vail, Beaver Creek. No Abasin or Loveand though. Christy Sports for ski shop is a good generic recommendation and there are tons of them.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

JohnnyLeadville wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:10 pmThe Epic Pass is worth considering for you it is a pretty good deal and that gets you everything else in Summit County and Eagle County. Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, Vail, Beaver Creek. No Abasin or Loveand though.
Epic Pass doesn’t include Copper. Copper is included in the IKON Pass.
Though, the Epic also includes Crested Butte.
Last edited by CheapCigarMan on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I should be on a mountain
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:24 pm
JohnnyLeadville wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:10 pmThe Epic Pass is worth considering for you it is a pretty good deal and that gets you everything else in Summit County and Eagle County. Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, Vail, Beaver Creek. No Abasin or Loveand though.
Epic Pass doesn’t include Copper.
Though, it does include Crested Butte.
Got me there. I never skied Crested Butte but I know a bit about that place and I know it has a great reputation for gnarly skiing.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

JohnnyLeadville wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:27 pm
CheapCigarMan wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:24 pm
Epic Pass doesn’t include Copper.
Though, it does include Crested Butte.
Got me there. I never skied Crested Butte but I know a bit about that place and I know it has a great reputation for gnarly skiing.
The mountain is great and the town has a great vibe with the best food of all the mountain towns imo.

Secret Stash Pizza
Bonez
Teocalli Tamale
I should be on a mountain
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Conor wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:12 pm I live in golden and take my skis to confluence kayaks in denver.
Have you ever tried Powder 7? I'm just curious because I live in Denver and take my skis to Golden, and you live in Golden and take your skis to Denver. Should I abandon Powder 7 for Confluence Kayaks?

As mentioned above, I've been very impressed by the customer service at Powder 7 over the past 4 or 5 years. Very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Go wherever is easiest to get to.
And that can mean distance or price or combo. The more you go the better.
Unless you're freakishly coordinated, a prior surfer or skater, you'll probably not be as good as you think you should be after 10 times.
It takes reps.

Buy some used gear. If you have to rent you won't go as often.

And here's an opinion that doesn't get much love, but I think learning to ski on blades/short skis is a great way to learn. Much more maneuverable, and you'll be parallel turning earlier than you would with long skis. You learn to hockey stop, and you simply can't snowplow straight down.
Again, unpopular opinion, but it's mine!
(Ducks incoming flame posts)