CR30 is in awful shape

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Re: CR30 is in awful shape

Post by JQDivide »

cedica wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:10 am
^ This quote is from the thread on permits, but there is very cool picture on page 8 of above PDF (cars parked along hwy 9 in summer 2020). One out of 20 cars is a sedan, which is pretty much in line with my observations.

(One out of 20, where did I hear this number before? :-k)
That photo is Hwy 9 near Hoosier Pass, not exactly the same as CR30.

BUT, I do agree wheel slippage in 2wd vehicles can be an issue on some dirt roads.

Looking at, and driving CR30... that damage wasn't caused by sedans.
Lots of rain, "Texas Wheelchairs" :lol: , more drivers and a lack of funds for improvements are the issues.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

GuiGirard wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:25 am We all contribute to road erosion. But a minority of speeders contribute to the majority of it, and a speeding 4WD SUV/truck will cause more damage than a S x S at equal speed, because they are heavier. Simple physics.
Heavier, but with larger tires and contact patch. I don't think the physics are as simple as you'd like.

Also what BoggyB said, AWD/4hi + street tires will do more damage to a loose dirt trail by spinning wheels than a truck with 4lo and good tires.

All that said, SxS still suck.
Make wilderness less accessible.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

JQDivide wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:35 am That photo is Hwy 9 near Hoosier Pass, not exactly the same as CR30.
So what would you say is the ratio of sedans on unpaved and damaged CR30, compared to Hwy 9? One out of 30 vehicles? Or one out of 40, 50?
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Come on now. Of the ~23 vehicles in that photo at least 4 are sedans, and there are only 8 full-size trucks/SUVs, half of which are probably on all-seasons (Yukon, Range Rover, Grand Cherokees?).
Anyway, the point wasn't about sedans. "Sedans and crossovers" encompasses the vast majority of vehicles with inadequate traction/drivetrain driven on dirt roads.
And yeah, I don't like SxS either but for reasons that aren't relevant to mostly-weather-induced erosion on designated routes.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Boggy B wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:27 pm Anyway, the point wasn't about sedans. "Sedans and crossovers" encompasses the vast majority of vehicles with inadequate traction/drivetrain driven on dirt roads.
There is no way in this world that "sedans and crossovers" encompasses one category of vehicles. Same as Audi A4 and FJ Cruiser, nobody in the right mind would claim that those are in the same category because they both have Torsen center differential.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

wat
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

How many 4WD vehicles are RWD when they are in 2WD mode? And how many of the drivers ever actually put it into 4WD on a simple dirt road like CR30 to Grizzly Gulch? Having a vehicle equipped with 4WD and a 4Lo option doesn't mean people are using it. I don't think any one type of vehicle is saint or sinner when it comes to road conditions, it has more to do with the individual driver than what they are driving.

SxS drivers just seem to be more inclined towards being disrepectful than most others, which is why people rag on them so much. I'm surprised people haven't slammed the dirt motorcycles on this thread yet, I see them in the grass far more than any other vehicle type, why wait for the snowdrift to melt out when they can just drive around it in the muddy grass? :roll:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Skimo95
14ers: 58  12  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

We are all completely perfect people on this forum who have the right to judge anybody we’d like, the lands are ours!
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

8D1A84B7-B962-4800-8528-9DC83AA3D511.jpeg
8D1A84B7-B962-4800-8528-9DC83AA3D511.jpeg (191.97 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Damn mountain bikers!
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

GuiGirard wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:25 am
tmud wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:52 pm The biggest problem with the 4x4 crowd is they are dead set on telling as many people as humanly possible about the places they drive their cars for extended periods of time, and posting as many pictures as facebook will allow, and advertising as much as they can. They seem like the type of people who go to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and say "hey, this is great". And they insist on driving their cars in groups of 20, and seem to enjoy sitting in traffic. But everyone is right, the san juan's have been conceded to the 4x4 crowd. If you want quiet and solitude, go to the desert, because you aren't gonna find it in the SJ's anymore, the wem included.
Me thinks there's a lot of overlap between these fellows and those complaining that there are too many people moving to Colorado.

Bottom line, in my 2 weeks in CO this summer, I've only met courteous S x S users (although I was intruding in their frequently visited territory for only 3-4 days), whether as a hiker or driver, but I've had a few (noticeably one) unpleasant interactions with a reckless car driver. Driving down Lincoln Gulch road (Aspen side of Indy Pass). I literally had just noticed the guy glued to my bumper thinking I'd probably want to pull over and let him go that he already aggressively passed me in a blind spot with exposure on his side, in a spot where I had next to no visibility ahead of me (big rocky bump ahead of a steep sharp curve). Nice new Range Rover with (you guessed it) CO plates). I could then follow his trail of dust for at least 1/4 mile.

We all contribute to road erosion. But a minority of speeders contribute to the majority of it, and a speeding 4WD SUV/truck will cause more damage than a S x S at equal speed, because they are heavier. Simple physics.
I agree. I spend about 2 months a year in CO. The S x S drivers have mostly been courteous. The guys on the dirt bikes are the people I’ve had issues with. Spinning their tires at me when they pass me while hiking etc…Also witnessed them driving all over areas they weren’t supposed to be next to the upper Taylor River…On a side note, don’t get me started on the trucks riding my ass (I’m not slow) on the dirt roads and especially when I’m on 285 or near Lake City, presumably because I have out of state plates
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

rijaca wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:56 pm 8D1A84B7-B962-4800-8528-9DC83AA3D511.jpeg

Damn mountain bikers!
That’s from brake pump for sure. But real mountain bikers don’t use em, so make sure the blame is placed on the newbie tourists on bikes and not the diehards :-D

I would also agree about dirt bikes, I’ve had more road conflicts with them than the UTVs. But again, like people in cars, it’s the individual drivers. Most are good folks, we just tend to group everyone on dirt bikes and UTVs together just because we’ve had a conflict with a handful of them. Hikers hate bikers, cars hate UTVs, cyclists hate cars and cars hate cyclists. It’s just the way it goes. We can whine on the internet all we want, nothing gonna change the preconceived notions all the groups have toward one another
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

aholle88 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:43 pm …Hikers hate bikers, cars hate UTVs, cyclists hate cars and cars hate cyclists…
It’s no wonder I don’t like myself.