bugs/mosquitoes---rules of thumb?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

bugs/mosquitoes---rules of thumb?

Post by rdp32 »

I am pretty bad at predicting when bugs will be bad when camping/backpacking in CO. In my experience they are generally mostly gone by mid-August or so in the mountains (and sometimes earlier), but I don't have a great feel for when exactly I should expect them to start to get really bad in early/mid Summer. In this particular instance, I'm trying to gauge how bad the bugs will be in early July in the Northern Sawatch range (I'm a little concerned that my planned family backpacking trip will turn into a nightmare due to the mosquitoes), but I would also like to know if there are any general rules of thumbs, basic principles, or websites (with bug conditions) that people would like to share in these regards. I am not looking for tips for how to cope with them (I already have headnets, long sleeves, permethrin, deet, picaradin, etc.), but rather how to predict when they will be bad.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: bugs/mosquitoes---rules of thumb?

Post by justiner »

I would just pay attention to trip reports and if people see the mosquitoes are bad, trust the reports. Rarely are mosquitos bad in CO.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

justiner wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:29 am Rarely are mosquitos bad in CO.
Ever spent any time on the Grand Mesa or Flat Tops?
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:16 am
Still paradise compared to the Wind Rivers or Canada.
prairiechicken
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prairiechicken »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:51 am
The Wind Rivers have awful mosquitoes.

The worst mosquitoes I've ever experienced were at the end of June, in the Lost Creek Wilderness of all places.

Expect good numbers of mosquitoes in early July but not enough to ruin your trip. As long as you camp away from marshy areas you will be fine.
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

How about the Sangre de Cristo mountains near Crestone say, picking a random date, today?
What could I expect?
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Could be none, could be horrible. Worst mosquitos I ever experienced in Colorado were at South Colony Lakes in July of 2019. The year before I had almost none at the same place. As this is a drier year, they may not be too bad, but you never know
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:51 am
The mosquitoes on Grand Mesa are some of the worst I have seen, at least in early July. When they are bad they are as bad or worse than anything I have seen in the Wind Rivers, Yellowstone, Alaska, Canada, the jungles of SE Asia, Amazon, etc. This year they might now be so bad though as it has been extremely dry.

The only place I have seen them worse was surprisingly in Lower Couthouse Wash in Arches. I took someone through from Minnesota and he said they were unlike anything he had seen. It was also the only time I have ever seen them that bad there.
For the record I have hiked/climbed/visited 62 countries and get out on 150-330 days a year so have seen a lot of places, so some may be surprised that the worst mosquitoes I have seen were on a hike in Arches National Park.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Scott P wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:52 am The mosquitoes on Grand Mesa are some of the worst I have seen, at least in early July. When they are bad they are as bad or worse than anything I have seen in the Wind Rivers, Yellowstone, Alaska, Canada, the jungles of SE Asia, Amazon, etc. This year they might now be so bad though as it has been extremely dry.
Tonquin Valley in July. It was basically slow suicide by mosquito. With an added side of possible grizzly bear.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Worst skeeters I've ever experienced was right about here: https://goo.gl/maps/aqVFahGkMrc5JEou5

It was horrific. :shock:
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

jsf80238 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:39 am How about the Sangre de Cristo mountains near Crestone say, picking a random date, today?
What could I expect?
Not sure but I remember the flies being terrible on South Colony Lakes road, which is worse because no one makes a good fly repellent.

Also, the standard route on Holy Cross has a lot of mosquitos in the summer. Take bug spray.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

September of last year South Colony Lakes was fine for everything ... sounds like I might have just been lucky.

I hear Lake Como if terrible.