Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Frank_am
14ers: List not added

Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Post by Frank_am »

I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!
Marmot96
14ers: 56 6 9
13ers: 20 1 3

Re: Blanca and Ellingwood sometime next week

Post by Marmot96 »

Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!
Halfway up Lake Como road in a 2WD SUV? I think not...

Good luck on the hike though.
Frank_am

Post by Frank_am »

Marmot96 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm
Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm I am looking for a partner to tackle the knife edge between the two summits, preferably would like you to have done it before. I am not very in shape, so if you plan to join you have to bear with me :D. I have a 2wd SUV hopefully that’ll get us half way up lake como road, if you had any questions ping me!

I agree it seems to be pretty gnarly, maybe I should rent a 4x4. I’d like to not hike that road as much as possible...
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58 32
13ers: 119 18
Trip Reports (36)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Frank_am wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm

I agree it seems to be pretty gnarly, maybe I should rent a 4x4. I’d like to not hike that road as much as possible...
I wouldn't go higher than about 8300 feet in your vehicle.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
supranihilest
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 539 10
Trip Reports (92)

Post by supranihilest »

The road isn't that bad to hike. It is bad to drive, especially if you're not used to driving 4WD roads and/or you have an inadequate vehicle. It's one of Colorado's hardest drives, and I use drive very loosely - it's a serious rock crawl in reality. You're far better off just hiking the road.
Frank_am

Post by Frank_am »

supranihilest wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm

The road isn't that bad to hike. It is bad to drive, especially if you're not used to driving 4WD roads and/or you have an inadequate vehicle. It's one of Colorado's hardest drives, and I use drive very loosely - it's a serious rock crawl in reality. You're far better off just hiking the road.
Thank you both for the input I will probably fail to get all the way up but will attempt to get as high as I can; but definitely not a good idea to get into the technical parts I agree.