Found: Sunglasses - north face of Pikes Peak

Post lost and found items here.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kman
14ers: List not added

Found: Sunglasses - north face of Pikes Peak

Post by kman »

Climbing up one of the couloirs on Friday (28 May) I stumbled upon a pair of sunglasses in the snow, between the crumpled remnants of this truck driven off the summit in 1992 and the entrance of the Y Couloir from the Railroad Couloir. They were recently dropped (IMHO) and don't appear to be your average run-of-the-mill Walmart sunglasses. Send me a description and I'll get them back to you.
Attachments
sunglasses.jpeg
sunglasses.jpeg (104.67 KiB) Viewed 840 times
WanderingJim
14ers: 17
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Found: Sunglasses - north face of Pikes Peak

Post by WanderingJim »

I was trying to find the sunglasses in the picture before seeing you mention the old truck wreckage. :)
kman

Post by kman »

WanderingJim wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:44 pm I was trying to find the sunglasses in the picture before seeing you mention the old truck wreckage. :)
Ha, I get what you're saying!
On a side note, it occurred to me over the past few days, that like the truck, the sunglasses could also have come from the summit and landed (been blown to) where I found them. That's because, as part of a new $65 million Summit House complex, this massive viewing platform was built that damn near stretches along the entire northern aspect of this mountain (picture 1). A large section of the platform actually protrudes out over the north face of Pikes (picture 2).
The Cog Railway, which hasn't run in years because of a rebuilding process, is now fully operational and bringing the masses to the summit. In addition, the new Summit House will open at the end of the month and the Pikes Peak highway will start to allow vehicle travel all the way to the summit within weeks. So I think it's safe to say that, intentionally or not, a lot of "lost" and found sunglasses, hats, and other items will be found down the slopes of this part of the mountain, similar to what happens at, say, the viewing points along the Grand Canyon and other similar places.
PSA: So yeah, with the trains running, the highway opening all the way to the top soon, and the new Summit House opening as well, if you're going to climb or ski these couloirs in the future, be prepared for an audience (picture 3). Try not to slip or fall!
Attachments
Pikes 28 May
Pikes 28 May
Pikes51.JPEG (64.45 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Pikes 28 May
Pikes 28 May
pikes50.JPEG (135.78 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Pikes 28 May
Pikes 28 May
Pikes52.JPEG (89.15 KiB) Viewed 613 times
d_baker
14ers: 58 15
13ers: 284 9
Trip Reports (57)

Post by d_baker »

Larry, that last photo looks like someone is hanging from the deck!
And oh yeah, I think they went too far. That catwalk sucks.
kman

Post by kman »

d_baker wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:33 pm Larry, that last photo looks like someone is hanging from the deck!
And oh yeah, I think they went too far. That catwalk sucks.
Ha! I thought the same thing when I uploaded and viewed my pictures Darin, until my eyes focused and I figured out that person was standing on the grated part of the walkway! And yeah, that thing sucks.
jrs1965
14ers: 58 1 3
13ers: 8

Post by jrs1965 »

Not mine. I found a motorcycle helmet once near the BP. I dragged it up to the summit and gave it to a tourist... Do you think the north face routes will stay in until 15 June, or the latest prediction on fully opening the road? I normally do the Y every year from Rumdoodle, but it looks like two more weeks might leave it thin up there. How was the snow/route getting into the BP?