Climbing a Peak: What it takes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Climbing a Peak: What it takes

Post by LifeIsGood »

Are you really climbing?

The word 'climbing' is used very casually on this forum- often used for 'walking uphill,' but it is supposed to mean technical climbing, using ropes, on rock or ice, or at the very least using both hands.

There are plenty of words that can be used instead, so as not to exaggerate, such as: hill-walking, hiking, scrambling, ascending, etc. (Maybe the term 'hiking' feels inadequate for extremely high elevations.)

In which case, the term 'mountaineering,' (which can sometimes be synonymous) would often be more appropriate, such as the presence of snow or glaciers while walking uphill.

I'm guessing Bill uses the term in the route descriptions so the general public will view these as more serious than average hiking.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Climbing a Peak: What it takes

Post by osprey »

You are a climber if you have conquered the mountain.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Oooh my goodness... :shock:
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Interesting how, once the knees start to go, what used to be a hike starts lookin like a climb. We'll all be mountaineers if we live long enough.
Roll No Rocks
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I promise you, it doesn’t really matter what other people choose to call it. It will in no way diminish your own personal experience. You do you.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

LifeIsGood wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:36 pm I'm guessing Bill uses the term in the route descriptions so the general public will view these as more serious than average hiking.
Lol. Or, I own a dictionary
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

I use the term summit, as in, "I summited Elbert."
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Alpine Guy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:16 pm Interesting how, once the knees start to go, what used to be a hike starts lookin like a climb. We'll all be mountaineers if we live long enough.
Can prob delay that occurrence by laying off the meat.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5540319/
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison1991 »

Jorts wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 am
Alpine Guy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:16 pm Interesting how, once the knees start to go, what used to be a hike starts lookin like a climb. We'll all be mountaineers if we live long enough.
Can prob delay that occurrence by laying off the meat.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5540319/
Or, maybe just keep your weight at a reasonable level, and eat food in moderation. If you’re healthy, consuming red meat is just fine
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

hotrod wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:06 pm "I summited Elbert."
Exactly! I myself have stood atop Elbert three times, but I sure as hell don’t say I ‘climbed’ it, even though once was in calendar winter with crampons on my feet.

If you have just one axe in hand, is it really climbing?

Ascending rock routes rated 5th class or higher is definitely ‘climbing.’ 4th class seems a bit more gray, but is probably still ‘climbing.’ 3rd class, however, is scrambling.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

this is why i never say i "climbed" a ladder, but people do look at me funny when i tell them i "hiked" the ladder to get to my roof.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 ami "climbed" a ladder
What would be the equivalent rating for a normal ladder?, probably just class 4?

Maintain three points of contact!!!