Overweight climbers.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Overweight climbers.

Post by pvnisher »

All advice posted most includea picture of your abs and a current 6 mile or 10k run time.
I'm take my advice with some results.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

I won't be going vegan
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

greenonion wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:27 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:36 pm I eat smaller portions, exercise more and take the dog on longer walks.
You MUST mean Leo! Not just “the dog” :wink: :-D
Yes! "The dog" I'm referring to is Leo :-D. He's glad I don't get to scientific about losing weight and just walk him more.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Oof! This is like the best 4x4, best exercise, best beer, or best gear threads!

Everyone's different. What works for one person might suck for you. I agree with bergsteigen in that I'd take the advice of someone who's accomplished something with their diet changes rather than just about anyone else. But ask questions. Lots of questions. Many folks think losing weight is simply a matter of eating less calories. While that may be true, its way more complicated. A simplistic thought is stop overeating. Well, to lose weight you'll need to reduce your intake quite a bit more. Say you're eating 3000 calories a day and gaining weight. Dropping to 2000 calories will likely just maintain the weight. You'd have to drop your intake to 1000 calories a day! Think about that for a sec. You're slashing your meals to one third of normal.

As far as what foods to eliminate or reduce, again, everyone's different. To say vegan, vegetarian, keto, carnivore, or whatever is the superior diet is folly. I have vegan friends who are overweight. I have major beef eating friends who are lean and fit. And everyone in between. Maybe its just a simple matter of burning more than you eat? Simple enough.

Hope you find what works. Otherwise, I got nothing... except a golden genetic ticket.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
jscully205
14ers: 58  12  39 
13ers: 116 13 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully205 »

Sort of touched on here, but hopefully adding some advice is, not to cut your calories too much. You'll recover slower and won't be able to reap as much gains from the training. It's a tricky balancing act with the energy equation. It takes time to lose fat, I'd aim for about a pound a week to err on safe side. For many people out there, including myself, it's just watching the snacks.

I'm assuming the goal is to better at hiking/climbing with losing weight a means to an end? Mindset wise, I think it's better to concentrate on how you want to feel vs making a conscious effort trying to lose weight. I think that is more of byproduct of being fit and having a high level of performance.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

pvnisher wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:43 am Eat real food. (1)
Not too much. (2)
Mostly plants. (3)

1. Things you can recognize. Not just the name but the shape of the ingredient.

2. It's less than you think. Eat small meals more often to combat hunger. Chew some gum.

3. Bread and pasta aren't plants.

If you do those things, and only those things, I promise you'll lose weight. Exercise is like 20 percent, diet is 80 percent of how you look and perform until you get to a high level.

I agree with this, mostly. When you're young, you can almost get there just by doing 1 & 2. Unfortunately when you get older, you have to go to #3 (and take #2 more seriously). But of course exercise will help you a lot also. Micheal Pollen wasn't trying to write an exercise manual though.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

nunns wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:27 am
pvnisher wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:43 am Eat real food. (1)
Not too much. (2)
Mostly plants. (3)

1. Things you can recognize. Not just the name but the shape of the ingredient.

2. It's less than you think. Eat small meals more often to combat hunger. Chew some gum.

3. Bread and pasta aren't plants.

If you do those things, and only those things, I promise you'll lose weight. Exercise is like 20 percent, diet is 80 percent of how you look and perform until you get to a high level.

Fortunately when you get older, you have to go to #3 (and take #2 more seriously).

Sean Nunn
I think you mis-typed a word in your response so I fixed it for you.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

What's with all this disparaging of bread and pasta?!?

Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

This thread is another case of overthinking an apparently simple concept. Losing weight is as simple as Rock 'n Roll!

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/woman ... s-pandemic
Roll No Rocks
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

My motto: Everything in moderation including moderation. Also, no one cares that you're a vegan. Aside from all the scientific information and calories in/out debates, what I find most useful is a logging and/or tracking system that keeps me disciplined and honest. I use MyPlate from the Livestrong organization that is a free app to help you count calories, track your food, nutrition and also track your exercise. I like to be able to see results over time and also I won't eat as much because I don't want to log it. Furthermore I need an easy to use app because I'm a terrible logger so this app is not only easy but I get a 2 for 1 with logging food and exercise. Try it!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/myplate-c ... d502317923
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

The best part of my day is when I’m at dunkin’
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

At the risk of being too unifying, it does seem like there is general consensus around the "cut out processed junk" and "don't stuff yourself" guidance.
IDGAF if people choose to get their protein from meat or beans, but generally good to make sure that your protein of choice isn't chock full of chemicals, whether those come from a CAFO or from some mega monocultural soy farm that gets sprayed with glyphosate and regularly coated with incendiary ingredients.
Burger from a former cow from a nearby pasture (or heck, elk burger from your or a buddy's hunting trip) > Big Mac
quinoa salad with mushrooms and lima beans > Impossible Burger

FWIW, spinach and bean sprout salads topped with feta, fruit, and a drizzle of olive oil plus LSD (long slow distance) and adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to one of my glasses of water each day generally help me.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried